Home

Base Defences

This is a discussion on Base Defences within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2006, 11:20 PM   #9
Rookie

didy's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Base Defences

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I'm playing All-Madden with the Niners, so I'm getting killed on defense. I'm 0-6 so far. I tried to mix things up the first few games, and I gave up at least 230 rushing yards in each of my first three games. I finally scrapped that and pretty much play some form of Cover 2 man - either out of Over, Under, Nickel or Dime the whole game now (I switched my defensive playbook to the 4-3). I've had a little more success that way.

My two biggest problems are:
1. I get no pressure on the QB at all - even when I blitz.
2. I give up at least one long run per game. Sometimes more.

Can't wait to get this season over with so I can rebuild the D. My offense has been good enough to win some games.
Dude i had similar problems when i started playing and now i play with Joe's sliders on all madden and i also play cover 2 however try those tips that i previously listed. Importantly set those blitzes up properly and time the jump, also dont always jump that line just on occasions when you realy need the stop.

As far as running goes i control the safety, if you do too, then i would suggest this; when you see a run coming dont react straight away, wait for the rb to hit the hole and then go after him, my philosophy in stoping a run is simple, dont try to stop the rb for minimum yards but main focus is to contain him (same philosophy aplies to cover 2 Bend but dont Break). So if run is coming just stop your safety for a second or two let the play develop see where he is trying to escape and then hunt him down. This approach wont stop rb for minimum yards but you also wont giv up big yards. So you might give up 100 yards running but you will make stops when you realy need them and you wont give up big runs. As i mentioned before i use to have the problem you are having and with this strategy it would be rare if a cpu rb even gets 1 20+ yard run. Hope this helps, i dont think you asked for a tip but i though i share my perspective who knows it might help som1 else.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:46 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Thanks. I'm willing to try just about anything to get my defense going.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I'm playing All-Madden with the Niners, so I'm getting killed on defense. I'm 0-6 so far. I tried to mix things up the first few games, and I gave up at least 230 rushing yards in each of my first three games. I finally scrapped that and pretty much play some form of Cover 2 man - either out of Over, Under, Nickel or Dime the whole game now (I switched my defensive playbook to the 4-3). I've had a little more success that way.

My two biggest problems are:
1. I get no pressure on the QB at all - even when I blitz.
2. I give up at least one long run per game. Sometimes more.

Can't wait to get this season over with so I can rebuild the D. My offense has been good enough to win some games.
Actually, I used the Niners last season and though the 3-4 is flawed in Madden you can get QB pressure by using some line and 'backer adjustments...

Seems to throw the O-line blocking schemes off...

QB pressure for me works best when adjusting the line so one of the DE's is playing well off the line and you bring a DB blitz...

For instance...

The CPU lines up with 3 wide...instead of a nickle package I use a dime DB blitz and adjust the line so that the LDE is off the tackle...then I control the RDT and do some rips or swims while I commit to the pass with the right stick...

Also putting a LB at the RE position in the dime is effective...

'Skins used to do it w/ Arrington...

That double wide suggestion in 3-3-5 and dime works pretty good too...

I'm also moving my #1 corner around and that helps too...

Putting him in the slot when I go double wide or moving him to the x and then doubling the z is effective...
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »