Home

I hope EA focused more on signature style

This is a discussion on I hope EA focused more on signature style within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: I hope EA focused more on signature style

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgen1
Trust me.... 2K will add signature styles to APF and people will be able to see the different running styles between running backs and throwing styles among QBs. If done properly it will add a lot more enjoyment to the game. But EA has so many other things to fix in Madden 08 that Signature styles shouldn't be a prority right now!!

I'm sure they will.

Aside from QB animations and celebrations, name some "signature styles" of players. Not "Barry Sanders is a shifty runner", I want specifics that will completely differentiate the players.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier

I'm sure they will.

Aside from QB animations and celebrations, name some "signature styles" of players. Not "Barry Sanders is a shifty runner", I want specifics that will completely differentiate the players.
RUNNING ANIMATIONS DUH......
Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
RUNNING ANIMATIONS DUH......
How noticably different does anyone run that it's worth wasting development time on? Honestly, aside from our backup RB my junior year in HS, I have never seen someone with a very different running style.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
How noticably different does anyone run that it's worth wasting development time on? Honestly, aside from our backup RB my junior year in HS, I have never seen someone with a very different running style.
Alright..just have everyone running the same.

Damnit....

I guess you guys are happy with roster updates each year. Some of you cats don't want anything new.

.lol

Last edited by djordan; 05-15-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
Alright..just have everyone running the same.

Damnit....

I guess you guys are happy with roster updates each year. Some of you cats don't want anything new.

.lol
Name some people in the NFL who have completely different running styles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alburt Poohole
Signature Style means nothing w/o gameplay...Gameplay must be addressed first..Then fluffy things like signature style can be addressed/implemented
I disagree and this is why I think it is very HARD for EA. How do you distinguish Ed Reed from Sean Taylor. You can get teh game play right but if everyone is a carbon copy of each other then it CAN get boring. If every linebacker is Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis then that's boring my friend. Personalities, Personalities. Yes the game play is important but getting the personalities down ties into the game play.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #23
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Name some people in the NFL who have completely different running styles.
Warrick Dunn/Randy Moss/Clinton Portis/Michael Vick/Joey Porter/Brian Urlacher all run differently. I don't think DJ is saying everyone have completely distinct running styles, but perhaps postions have several generic running/move sets based on the style of player they are. I'm assuming this is what VC will do with APF2K8, and what they've done somewhat with NBA2K7 (and to a lesser degree, MLB2K7). In Madden it's a near no-brainer to have unique QB running styles, and perhaps receivers. The QB drop is looking like it will be the same unfortunately.

Tiburon seems to usually focus on the "big bang/back of the box" issues and doesn't seem to be very detail oriented (lack of attention to the sidelines, refs, chain gangs, etc.). One of the things Tiburon touted early on was having real player voices in ghe game versus how they're portrayed visually on the field. Things that most of us when we first heard of it doesn't really do much to excite the userbase. Focusing on the subtlties of the game that make a huge difference in the overall experience isn't an EA/Tiburon strongpoint

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I disagree and this is why I think it is very HARD for EA. How do you distinguish Ed Reed from Sean Taylor. You can get teh game play right but if everyone is a carbon copy of each other then it CAN get boring. If every linebacker is Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis then that's boring my friend. Personalities, Personalities. Yes the game play is important but getting the personalities down ties into the game play.
But how do you do this? You can do stuff before and after the snap, but how do you do stuff during the play?

I think the best way to differentiate players would be with unchangable slider rankings of agressiveness/timid, playmaking/safe, and forgetfullness (if someone gets beat once, do they start being overly cautious).

If you had fixated ratings for those, you could differentiate players with the same rankings. But physically having different running styles is a little impractical.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »