Home

New 1up Sports Podcast- David Ortiz Interview- confirms no online franchise in Madden

This is a discussion on New 1up Sports Podcast- David Ortiz Interview- confirms no online franchise in Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #49
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: New 1up Sports Podcast- David Ortiz Interview- confirms no online franchise in Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
That's his job. 2k has had several people in the same role for their games, as has every game developer ever.

Everyone is an expert around here.
That's his job, & that's why EA Sports is a JOKE... As for 1-up thay have to be the worst Gaming Information site around. Come to think of it, that interview was perfectly meant for both EA Sports & 1-up...
Old 05-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #50
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: New 1up Sports Podcast- David Ortiz Interview- confirms no online franchise in Ma

In fairness to Ortiz, I think we all realize that if he wasn't with EA, things would not be different.

My problem with EA is what they prioritize, year to year. And that "prioritization" seems focused towards some bubble-gum chewing 11 year old who wants to play random online games against random people, talk smack on the headsets, and see all the various end-zone dances that Chad Johnson has to offer.

Just know that the kid isn't going to be a preferred league member in an online season/franchise, partly because he has the attention span of a shoelace. Chances are that Sparky The Bengals Cheezer isn't even going to ever want to sign up for an organized online league... scheduling with others is too much of a stretch, even on the days his parents remember to give him his Ritalin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping what is in Madden is good, but I think there's simply NO excuse for no online leagues when their competition has been sporting competent online leagues for 3-4 years.

"We have the technology".

FURTHERMORE...
Someone explain to me how EA wants to get into the MMORPG business to compete with World of Warcraft... with next years' "Warhammer Online."

Tracking hundreds of thousands of online players, their characters, their quests, their stats...is "do-able" for EA....

But somehow having online franchises in their sports games has to wait multi-years for "bug free-ness"???

Lame.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
In fairness to Ortiz, I think we all realize that if he wasn't with EA, things would not be different.

My problem with EA is what they prioritize, year to year. And that "prioritization" seems focused towards some bubble-gum chewing 11 year old who wants to play random online games against random people, talk smack on the headsets, and see all the various end-zone dances that Chad Johnson has to offer.

Just know that the kid isn't going to be a preferred league member in an online season/franchise, partly because he has the attention span of a shoelace. Chances are that Sparky The Bengals Cheezer isn't even going to ever want to sign up for an organized online league... scheduling with others is too much of a stretch, even on the days his parents remember to give him his Ritalin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping what is in Madden is good, but I think there's simply NO excuse for no online leagues when their competition has been sporting competent online leagues for 3-4 years.

"We have the technology".

FURTHERMORE...
Someone explain to me how EA wants to get into the MMORPG business to compete with World of Warcraft... with next years' "Warhammer Online."

Tracking hundreds of thousands of online players, their characters, their quests, their stats...is "do-able" for EA....

But somehow having online franchises in their sports games has to wait multi-years for "bug free-ness"???

Lame.
GREAT POST!! LMAO @ Sparky The Bengals Cheezer !!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #52
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger13
GREAT POST!! LMAO @ Sparky The Bengals Cheezer !!
Also, someone find the dipstick at EA who put a partnership with the freaking WEATHER CHANNEL and its "real time weather integration" above online season/franchise, and lets pimp-slap 'em.

Note: Apologies.. I'm going-off today. QC72 unplugged....

Last edited by quietcool72; 05-25-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #53
Banned

Alburt Poohole's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

Whether you want to believe it or not Online play is nowhere near as important as you might think...I'm a predominantly online head to head player and trust me when I tell you that online play while growing does not make enough of a significant impact to warrant EA spending time money and resources on it. I'd love to have online leagues and all that...But lets just take the 2k model as an example...I defy you to find 10 solid running leagues over there with full teams...Its a wasted feature...here I'll help you out...my MLB 2k7 league ran quite nicely with 22 people but every other league whether it be baseball, football or whatever is trash...And since we are talking about football find 10 online leagues under 2k's great offering that are running smooth. with more than 15 people.

My BOT 9th MLB2k7 league - http://online.2ksports.com/league/index?p=360&l=86460

Now I know you won't do that because if you know anything about online gaming you'd know it that the chances and likelihood of you finding the leagues is slim. hear this loud and clear before you go on a rant about online gaming...EA has done the market research and they know that while a few hardcore people demand online gaming the online gaming community is only a small fraction of their consumer base....So why waste time, money and resources creating and managing something that gives no return??? Also the 2k online leagues have bugs GALORE so lets not even try to go there in saying that their model is w/o problems.

If online leagues were so very important EA would have it but the reality is...Online leagues ar not that important outside of the hardcore community that is a small minute fraction of all gaming consumers for sports games.

Last edited by Alburt Poohole; 05-25-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:02 AM   #54
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Also, someone find the dipstick at EA who put a partnership with the freaking WEATHER CHANNEL and its "real time weather integration" above online season/franchise, and lets pimp-slap 'em.

Note: Apologies.. I'm going-off today. QC72 unplugged....
Pimp-slap em? Hell, they probably got a bonus...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ck=1&cset=true

Quote:
EA game fans can play, rain or shine

The company will use real-time weather conditions in its new college football title.
By Dawn C. Chmielewski, Times Staff Writer
May 23, 2007

The real world is intruding on the fantasy of video game play — and that's exactly what Electronic Arts Inc. intended.

EA said Tuesday that the latest version of its "NCAA Football 08" game, scheduled for release July 17, would incorporate real-time weather conditions into the action. That means that if a violent rainstorm passed through Tucson, virtual players at the University of Arizona would have trouble keeping their footing, and strong winds reported in Ann Arbor would affect the passing accuracy of Michigan quarterback Chad Henne.

EA said its popular "Madden NFL 08" game also would get a boost of realism when it comes out Aug. 14: Players will be able to get real-world sports scores and "SportsCenter" radio clips from ESPN, plus video highlights from the National Football League.
I can't see online leagues getting EA this kind of free publicity, can you?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #55
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alburt Poohole
Whether you want to believe it or not Online play is nowhere near as important as you might think...I'm a predominantly online head to head player and trust me when I tell you that online play while growing does not make enough of a significant impact to warrant EA spending time money and resources on it. I'd love to have online leagues and all that...But lets just take the 2k model as an example...I defy you to find 10 solid running leagues over there with full teams...Its a wasted feature...here I'll help you out...my MLB 2k7 league ran quite nicely with 22 people but every other league whether it be baseball, football or whatever is trash...And since we are talking about football find 10 online leagues under 2k's great offering that are running smooth. with more than 15 people.

Now I know you won't do that because if you know anything about online gaming you'd know it that the chances and likelihood of you finding the leagues is slim.

here this loud and clear before you go on a rant about online gaming...EA has done the market research and they know that while a few hardcore people demand online gaming the online gaming community is only a small fraction of their consumer base....So why waste time, money and resources creating and managing something that gives no return???
Show me the market research on the real-time weather and the weather channel partnership???

Market research often doesn't support much innovation whatsoever. People said World of Warcraft was too risky, and not many people would pay $14 per month...

(Whoops..)

Now EA is scrambling for its answer to WoW with Warhammer Online (and they bought another company to handle it..)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alburt Poohole
my MLB 2k7 league ran quite nicely with 22 people but every other league whether it be baseball, football or whatever is trash...
Not every other league:

http://online.2ksports.com/league/index?p=360&l=81696

Leagues are hard to run....but when done well, there is NO better experience in sports gaming.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »