Home

Madden 08: things ive seen on videos

This is a discussion on Madden 08: things ive seen on videos within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Madden 08: things ive seen on videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by the member
It could have something to with the fact that "weapons" are this years big feature because watching another video I noticed on offense alone that they had 3 O-linemen w/weapons, of course LT, and L.Neal w/weapon and Gates wasnt even on the field. So factoring in the fact that they had one of the best defenses and that theyre offense has at least 6 weapons and the Pats have most weapons with 14. The Chargers could still be the 2nd best team (maddenwise) on the game.

Especially when you consider the fact that the Pats have Tom Brady and the Chargers QB is considered average on the game.

I too think that the ratings are too high, because there are no "complete" teams in the NFL today other than the Pats maybe.....

95 is kinda high when teams are rated at 67 and such. I hate not being able to strategize with a team because they have no chance of beating a team simply based on ratings. Thats makes it very difficult to conduct a winning strategy. You can have a good strategy with the Browns and they will simply not execute the plays.
Yeah, maybe thats true I guess. But man, a 95?!?! I still think the Colts should be at least 1 point better then the Chargers... I mean, come on, the Chargers are 7 points better then the Superbowl Champs!?

Even if it is because of the wheapons... the Colts are going to have wheapons. Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Addai, Clark, Deim, Tarik Glenn/Jeff Saturday, Bob Sanders, Freeney, McFarland, Mathis.

I agree man, This is just crazy to me. The Chargers are a good team, but not a 95. And if any team is a 95, it should be the Pats, and if the Colts are as low as a 88, then the Pats, IMO should be a 93.

I see the Pats being no more than 4 - 5 points better then the Colts, and the Chargers being no lower (or at least away!) then 2-3 from the Colts. And if teams are at 67, I dont think any team should at a 95. (I think in 07, all the teams were between 80-90)

Pats 93, Colts 90, Chargers 89. I would have been fine with that. But a 95, for the 3rd best team in the AFC is crazy. IMO. Even a wheapons threory doesn't really justify it, Peyton Manning might be the best wheapon in the game.

Last edited by dbshady; 07-03-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #18
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

The weapons won't change how a team is rated what so ever all the weapons are is a visual aid to let you know what your players are really good at. The overalls won't change because of that and the Bears have 14 weapons I think the pats might have one or two more.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think you have to consider depth and adjustments to player ratings.

River will get a bump (pro-bowl)

i believe that RB Michael Turner is an 87 (low in my opinion having watched him all season);

While we did lose mccardell, some others emerged. Malcolm floydd (low to mid 80's) will get a bump, Surely Jackson (mid 80's) will get a bump, and Parker (deserves mid 80's, but who knows) has the surest hands in the league behind Marvin harrison.

I don't expect any change at TE unless Manumaleuna gets a hands and blocking bump.

the entire o line will get a bump as LT McNeal was a 73 last year (and should be in the nineties), plus OC hardwick and OG dielman made the probowl (mid 80's last year, prob 90's this year); On a side note, the chargers OL were widely regarded as the best in the NFL, so i'll predict that OG goff and Olievea get a bump. Not to mention that Oben (now on bench) was on the IR and was an 87 last year and will probably stay above 80.

So just on offense, there will be a definite ratings hike. if the chargers O is rated higher than the colts, it will be because of the O-Line. I believe that Manning lost at least 1 starter.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerbounds
I think you have to consider depth and adjustments to player ratings.

River will get a bump (pro-bowl)

i believe that RB Michael Turner is an 87 (low in my opinion having watched him all season);

While we did lose mccardell, some others emerged. Malcolm floydd (low to mid 80's) will get a bump, Surely Jackson (mid 80's) will get a bump, and Parker (deserves mid 80's, but who knows) has the surest hands in the league behind Marvin harrison.

I don't expect any change at TE unless Manumaleuna gets a hands and blocking bump.

the entire o line will get a bump as LT McNeal was a 73 last year (and should be in the nineties), plus OC hardwick and OG dielman made the probowl (mid 80's last year, prob 90's this year); On a side note, the chargers OL were widely regarded as the best in the NFL, so i'll predict that OG goff and Olievea get a bump. Not to mention that Oben (now on bench) was on the IR and was an 87 last year and will probably stay above 80.

So just on offense, there will be a definite ratings hike. if the chargers O is rated higher than the colts, it will be because of the O-Line. I believe that Manning lost at least 1 starter.
Well sure, players will Bump up... but more than the Colts... if anyones going to Bump up, wouldn't you assume its going to be the Champs.

Or at least the teams who played in the AFC/NFC Championship Games.

Not a team that was a 87 at the end of the regular season last year... gets bumped to a 95?!?!?! When teams are getting booted down to a 67.

I mean player ratings Bumps don't just bump a team from a 87 to a 95... thats not a Bump... that's a BOOST!!

Manning didn't lose anyone on the line this year. Glenn, Lilja, Saturday, Scott, and Diem all starting last year and are still there.

Im sorry, I just don't see it... IMO, nothing justifies the Chargers getting a 95 this year.

They haven't had a better offseason then most teams (aquiring playings), they didn't advance in the playoffs (agian), They shouldn't have more wheapons then the Colts or Pats (on O), they shouldn't bump up ratings better then any other team who advanced in the playoffs (for the most part, depending on the player), they lost key players on their team including their coach (as did others).... it just doesn't equal a up to a +8 point boost.

I think last year 8 points was the furthers defference between the best and the worst.. 82-90. It's just crazy to me. I don't know.

Last edited by dbshady; 07-03-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #21
Rookie

This year, our defense finally got some shine and led the league in sacks (a glamourous stat, so i see ratings hikes comin).

at DE, castillo got 7 sacks in 10 games in the 3-4 (should be high 80's low 90's rating). Igor Olshansky is constantly underrated (I think he'll get a bump from 79 to low to mid 80's). and the best NT Williams will prob get a 96+ again. Also, Jaques cesaire (79 last year) got 4 sacks and will prob stay the same if not get a small bump.

Merriman was a beast - 17 sacks in 12 games, I predict high nineties. Shaun Phillips was a 79 last year and will definitely get a bump (prob high 80's) given his 11.5 sacks in 14 games.

MLB is the one place we'll probably get a drastic ratings decrease. In my opinion Donnie Edwards (89 prob should have been an 84-85) and Godfrey (87 probably should have been an 82-84) were slightly overrated in the past while thier backups Cooper (72 i believe) and Wilhelm (67) were vastly underrated. I'll be interested to see how Dobbins, Siler, and Waters are rated. I'd say that a conservative rating for cooper would be 81; and wilhelm 83. Dobbins should be at least 75.

At Corner, Jammer deserves a bump (92). He doesn't get pics, but he's the best tackling corner in the game, and has improved his ball awareness. I believe that he's a bonafied shutdown corner (ppl don't throw at him). Even though he's a bonehead, drayton deserves a bump, should probably be an 84-85. Antonio Cromartie is an athletic freak and we all know athletic freaks always get great ratings (vick). he was a 79 last year and deserves a low 80's bump with his year of experience.

At safety, McCree was the reason for our 10 spot jump in overall defense and will probably get an 87 from his 84. I think Jue and Hart will stay in the mid 70's as back-ups. The wild-card is going to be Weddle. he played corner and safety in college and was known for his smarts, and will probably get a good rookie awr rating. I'm predicting an 79-82 rating. That would be a drop from the 84 rating that Kiel got last year.

Overall, i see the ratings hikes at OLB offset by the drop in ILB. At CB it think there's a ratings improvement to be had, and at safety i beleive that McCree's raise will be leveled out by the rookie rating. It's justifiable to see an improvement of 2-3 points in overall defensive rating just based on leading the league in sacks, individual achievements (pro-bowl) and the improvement in pass defense (28th yds/gm in the league, to 10th).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
Rookie

On special teams, the chargers K will remain the same and their punter is the best in the league and should be in the low nineties.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #23
Rookie

Don't know if all that equals a 8 point jump, but there is definitely improvement. And they will continue to improve as they are a young team with the vast majority of thier starters under the age of 26 and under contract through 2009. Their GM, AJ Smith, followed the NE model and i think drafted better than anyone in the league since he took over.

He builds from within through the draft, works to keep his players in house by extending before they can hit the market.

ppl are going to hate on chargers rating for years to come.

Last edited by outerbounds; 07-03-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshady
Well sure, players will Bump up... but more than the Colts... if anyones going to Bump up, wouldn't you assume its going to be the Champs.

Or at least the teams who played in the AFC/NFC Championship Games.

Not a team that was a 87 at the end of the regular season last year... gets bumped to a 95?!?!?! When teams are getting booted down to a 67.

I mean player ratings Bumps don't just bump a team from a 87 to a 95... thats not a Bump... that's a BOOST!!

Manning didn't lose anyone on the line this year. Glenn, Lilja, Saturday, Scott, and Diem all starting last year and are still there.

Im sorry, I just don't see it... IMO, nothing justifies the Chargers getting a 95 this year.

They haven't had a better offseason then most teams (aquiring playings), they didn't advance in the playoffs (agian), They shouldn't have more wheapons then the Colts or Pats (on O), they shouldn't bump up ratings better then any other team who advanced in the playoffs (for the most part, depending on the player), they lost key players on their team including their coach (as did others).... it just doesn't equal a up to a +8 point boost.

I think last year 8 points was the furthers defference between the best and the worst.. 82-90. It's just crazy to me. I don't know.
I think you have to rate each team individually. I agree that the Colts O is phenomenal, but who would you give ratings bumps to on the Colts O?

Payton is already a 99, sorgi?

Addai will definitely get a bump, but Rhodes is now gone.

Harrison is a 99, Wayne will get a bump into the nineties, and Stokely is gone.

Clark, fill in the ratings blank ____.

O-line, again fill in the blanks ____.

They were already a highly rated O and there isn't much room for growth, whereas several chargers were underrated (turner, parker, jackson, O-Line).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »