Home

Madden 08: things ive seen on videos

This is a discussion on Madden 08: things ive seen on videos within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Madden 08: things ive seen on videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerbounds
Don't know if all that equals a 8 point jump, but there is definitely improvement. And they will continue to improve as they are a young team with the vast majority of thier starters under the age of 26 and under contract through 2009. Their GM, AJ Smith, followed the NE model and i think drafted better than anyone in the league since he took over.

He builds from within through the draft, works to keep his players in house by extending before they can hit the market.

ppl are going to hate on chargers rating for years to come.
Oh im not saying they shouldn't improve... bump ratings, thats fine. But like I said, everyone is going to Bump who shined last season, Colts, Pats, Bears, Saints, whoever.. even the Browns, teams will Bump up and Bump down...

But 3-4 points.. thats a Bump.... 8-9 Points!!!! That's a overhall, especially when the 8 points was the difference between the best and worst team in last years game (82-90).

Donnie Edwards was the Chargers leading tackler for the last 5 years... He was not overrated. I think he was the ONLY player who surpassed 100 tackles a season (4 out of 5, except his 97 last year) in ALL 5 of those Seasons.

Regardless of Bumping players getting better, it doesn't matter, those are bumps, that any another team would get, especially teams who did just as good last year like the Colts and the Pats... the Chargers are not better then them. Maybe they will be, but not yet, based of last season and this offseason... the Chargers have done nothing to earn a 8 point jump.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #26
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

You guys do realize that the default ratings on the game has nothing to do with the actual ratings right. Its just EA's ranking when you auto re-order the depth chart then you get to see the real overalls.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshady
Well sure, players will Bump up... but more than the Colts... if anyones going to Bump up, wouldn't you assume its going to be the Champs.

Or at least the teams who played in the AFC/NFC Championship Games.

Not a team that was a 87 at the end of the regular season last year... gets bumped to a 95?!?!?! When teams are getting booted down to a 67.

I mean player ratings Bumps don't just bump a team from a 87 to a 95... thats not a Bump... that's a BOOST!!

Manning didn't lose anyone on the line this year. Glenn, Lilja, Saturday, Scott, and Diem all starting last year and are still there.

Im sorry, I just don't see it... IMO, nothing justifies the Chargers getting a 95 this year.

They haven't had a better offseason then most teams (aquiring playings), they didn't advance in the playoffs (agian), They shouldn't have more wheapons then the Colts or Pats (on O), they shouldn't bump up ratings better then any other team who advanced in the playoffs (for the most part, depending on the player), they lost key players on their team including their coach (as did others).... it just doesn't equal a up to a +8 point boost.

I think last year 8 points was the furthers defference between the best and the worst.. 82-90. It's just crazy to me. I don't know.
The area where the colts deserve a drop is on defense.

They lost Cato June (130 + tackles) and both starting Corners. They have not replaced these players.

I'd argue that their D is the reason for thier drop.

The overall rating on Madden is a measure of talent. It is widely agreed that the chargers are the most talented team in the league, google it . I'm sure the cardinals will get a ratings hike, given that they are young, talented, and media "breakthrough year" favorites. but what have they done to deserve it.

I don't think the ratings i assigned were biased having watched every game several times (thanks hd dvr), and i don't think you can argue any of them down. so why the fuss over a rating jump, it's a measure of talent.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
I think you have to rate each team individually. I agree that the Colts O is phenomenal, but who would you give ratings bumps to on the Colts O?

Payton is already a 99, sorgi?

Addai will definitely get a bump, but Rhodes is now gone.

Harrison is a 99, Wayne will get a bump into the nineties, and Stokely is gone.

Clark, fill in the ratings blank ____.

O-line, again fill in the blanks ____.

They were already a highly rated O and there isn't much room for growth, whereas several chargers were underrated (turner, parker, jackson, O-Line).
True... What makes the Chargers better then? If the Colts are already high, and I guess, reached their maxuim rating, what makes the Chargers better? Why, shoud the Chargers line get a bump, but not the Colts.

They should all get a bump, Whats the difference between them protecting their QB better then any line in the league, then the Chargers alowing LT to run through defenses better then any RB in the League?

Deim and Saturday are great linemen, so is Glenn and Lilja, the only one that might deserve a bump is Jake Scott.

Sorgi, played well when Manning sits at the end of the season. Why not. He was a 68 or so last year, hes better then that now that we seen him play.

Wayne was already in the 90's last year, he should make it to at least a 93, maybe 94 this year.

Marvin should have been a 99, might be the Best in the League, if he doesn't have a 99 (Steve Smith does), he should definitely get an 98.

Clark and Fletcher both did well at TE last year.

Stokely is gone, but they drafted Anthony Gonzalez to fill his spot (thats a younger Stokely if I ever seen one!).

They won the SB, this whole team deserves Bumps (expecpt for obviously the people who did bad... but lets face it, if you had a lot of bad players.. you wouldn't have won the SB!)

And like I said, Bumps have nothing to do with a 8 point Boost.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #29
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

I kinda like that there is a 30 point gap between the top teams and the scrubs - it shoudl help the game feel different when playing a different caliber of team. Sometimes the teams have all felt the same.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
The area where the colts deserve a drop is on defense.

They lost Cato June (130 + tackles) and both starting Corners. They have not replaced these players.

I'd argue that their D is the reason for thier drop.

The overall rating on Madden is a measure of talent. It is widely agreed that the chargers are the most talented team in the league, google it . I'm sure the cardinals will get a ratings hike, given that they are young, talented, and media "breakthrough year" favorites. but what have they done to deserve it.

I don't think the ratings i assigned were biased having watched every game several times (thanks hd dvr), and i don't think you can argue any of them down. so why the fuss over a rating jump, it's a measure of talent.
Im from Chicago, not Arizona. And im not Bais towards my teams either...obviously you like the Chargers, a lot, to even think a 8 point boost is jusified over the reigning Champs.

Arizona was a 86 last year... they are a 75 this year... obviously, EA thought they didnt deserve it, I dont even think they deserve a 11 point drop... AND obviously neither do you, since you thought they got better and didnt derserve it. I think the only people that got better and didn't deserve it are.... ah yes... the CHARGERS. Your right about one thing, just the wrong team.

Losing June is no different then losing Edwards.

I think they found replacements for there corners... there called 1st and 2nd round draft picks in 05.

Maybe you have heard of them... Marlin Jackson (who took the starting job towards the end of the year)... He intercepted Brady to bring the Colts to the Superbowl)

And Kelvin Hayden... the man who Intercepted Grossman in the Superbowl and ran it back for the game winning TD in the Superbowl.

Im sorry, in any way, do the Chargers deserve to be better then the Colts. They weren't in Last years game... The Colts won the Superbowl (what else can you do wrong?) ... and they shouldn't be this year.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshady

Donnie Edwards was the Chargers leading tackler for the last 5 years... He was not overrated. I think he was the ONLY player who surpassed 100 tackles a season (4 out of 5, except his 97 last year) in ALL 5 of those Seasons.
awwww bro. first of all, no.

Second, i appreciate his work here in SD and i will be the first to pump his pass defense skills, his tackle numbers don't tell the whole story. he's not a bad tackler, he's very smart, he's quick not fast, and undersized.

While his tackle numbers are high, they don't tell the whole story. I'm trying to find a SD union tribune article that broke down his stats, and when i do, i'll post it. Basically it proved that most his tackles were 3+ yards behind the line of scrimmage, in pass coverage, or assists. not all tackles are created equal.

Again, i'm not hating on Donnie, or what he did for the chargers and thier young lb's, but i know he was overrated. not vastly or grossly, but nevertheless overrated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
I kinda like that there is a 30 point gap between the top teams and the scrubs - it shoudl help the game feel different when playing a different caliber of team. Sometimes the teams have all felt the same.
I like a gap, but the 30 point gap is crazy. These are all NFL teams, obviously some teams are better then others. But like I said, the Chargers beat the Browns and the Cardinals by only 7 points last year.

The gap is nice for Franchise mode, because it makes it more realistic... But when your facing a freinds or online, you dont want that 30 point gap. We always pick the same caliber of team when we play, because it really shows the talent of the user, not the talent of the players (CPU).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »