Home

Madden 08: things ive seen on videos

This is a discussion on Madden 08: things ive seen on videos within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Madden 08: things ive seen on videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerbounds
awwww bro. first of all, no.

Second, i appreciate his work here in SD and i will be the first to pump his pass defense skills, his tackle numbers don't tell the whole story. he's not a bad tackler, he's very smart, he's quick not fast, and undersized.

While his tackle numbers are high, they don't tell the whole story. I'm trying to find a SD union tribune article that broke down his stats, and when i do, i'll post it. Basically it proved that most his tackles were 3+ yards behind the line of scrimmage, in pass coverage, or assists. not all tackles are created equal.

Again, i'm not hating on Donnie, or what he did for the chargers and thier young lb's, but i know he was overrated. not vastly or grossly, but nevertheless overrated.
Ha what...

A tackle is a tackle, What> if he didn't tackle him someone esle would have?

Ha, Imagine someone saying that about anyone else... Urlacher, Lewis, whoever, awww man, those tackles are all outside of the hash marks, there not special. They are tackles, he made the tackle faster then anyone else on the team did. That's not overrated man, im sorry. We'll see this season, when someone else has to make those tackles. Where ever they might be made on the field. Ha, man.

Like leading a team in Tackles is easy to do 5 years in a row. If that is indeed the case, the Chargers D doesnt derserve a bump, you think if it was so easy, some those other players might have stole some Tackles from Edwards over the past 5 years.. obvioulsy, that wasn't the case.

Last edited by dbshady; 07-03-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell05
You guys do realize that the default ratings on the game has nothing to do with the actual ratings right. Its just EA's ranking when you auto re-order the depth chart then you get to see the real overalls.
Hey Russell, what do you mean? I dont really understand what you saying, sorry.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshady
True... What makes the Chargers better then? If the Colts are already high, and I guess, reached their maxuim rating, what makes the Chargers better? Why, shoud the Chargers line get a bump, but not the Colts.

They should all get a bump, Whats the difference between them protecting their QB better then any line in the league, then the Chargers alowing LT to run through defenses better then any RB in the League?

Deim and Saturday are great linemen, so is Glenn and Lilja, the only one that might deserve a bump is Jake Scott.

Sorgi, played well when Manning sits at the end of the season. Why not. He was a 68 or so last year, hes better then that now that we seen him play.

Wayne was already in the 90's last year, he should make it to at least a 93, maybe 94 this year.

Marvin should have been a 99, might be the Best in the League, if he doesn't have a 99 (Steve Smith does), he should definitely get an 98.

Clark and Fletcher both did well at TE last year.

Stokely is gone, but they drafted Anthony Gonzalez to fill his spot (thats a younger Stokely if I ever seen one!).

They won the SB, this whole team deserves Bumps (expecpt for obviously the people who did bad... but lets face it, if you had a lot of bad players.. you wouldn't have won the SB!)

And like I said, Bumps have nothing to do with a 8 point Boost.
The chargers line gets a bump because they were underrated. McNiel was stellar and made the prowbowl as a rookie with 2 broken hands and was a 73. They were #2 in the league (behind ATL) with a pocket passer whereas IND was # 18. i don't think that justifies a run blocking bump.

In terms of Pass Blk, i'm assuming that given IND's success in the past that they were already highly rated as pass blockers (#1 in sacks allowed or not allowed). San Diego was #9 which is on par with what they did last year when they had a veteran QB. so I am in favor of a bump in IND pass block, and keeping the SD pass block the same.

In summary, i'd say that based on improvement the running game and 06 underrating, SD OL deserves a significant bump. On the other hand IND already had high pass block ratings, while not improving the run game.

While the Colts won the super bowl and the chargers didn't advance, you can't discount what they were able to do in the regular season. you can't say that because they didn't win the super bowl they are less talented. There are no ratings for playoff poise (i.e., drayton florence bonehead penalties, schottenheimer 10 yds on the field, schottenheimer going for 4th and 11, marlon mccree fumbling an interception, eric parker dropping a punt). Therefore, you are only rating talent which the Chargers flat-out-unarguably, as a team, have more of.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #36
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Hey Russell, what do you mean? I don't really understand what you saying, sorry.
When you start up the game for the first time and you go to the team select screen those aren't the real offense defense overall ratings for the team.

Those ratings are given to the teams by the devs as a representation of how good they where last year and how good they think they will be this year in real life.

If you want to see what the teams are really rated based on personnel and skill just auto-reorder the depth charts and all the team ratings will change.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshady
Ha what...

A tackle is a tackle, What> if he didn't tackle him someone esle would have?

Ha, Imagine someone saying that about anyone else... Urlacher, Lewis, whoever, awww man, those tackles are all outside of the hash marks, there not special. They are tackles, he made the tackle faster then anyone else on the team did. That's not overrated man, im sorry. We'll see this season, when someone else has to make those tackles. Where ever they might be made on the field. Ha, man.

Like leading a team in Tackles is easy to do 5 years in a row. If that is indeed the case, the Chargers D doesnt derserve a bump, you think if it was so easy, some those other players might have stole some Tackles from Edwards over the past 5 years.. obvioulsy, that wasn't the case.
first of all, the chargers run a 3-4 which is designed to funnel tackles to the ILB. if you watched chargers games, you'd see that most tackles are past the LOS, donnie gets ran over, and are in pass coverage. most the time he isn't the only one making the tackle, but hey, guess you have to watch the games. he's not as big a loss as you think, given their depth at the position and his age (33). we all know the d deserves a bump.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3

I personally wouldnt have any problems with the ratings if we were able to "coach teams up" to play better. I hate having a winning strategy that I cant execute because it seems that the game wont allow me to without my players dropping passes and such.

why would anyone auto reorder the depth charts? Other than change the ratings?

Last edited by the member; 07-03-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #39
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

Being a life long Browns fan I hate to see ratings this low. I realize that the programmers have to create a difference between the good and the bad teams. That's a given. But usually it is the intangibles and coaching that make a team great. The Browns, Raiders and Cardinals all have great NFL caliber athletes that can play great on any given day. They just fail to reach their potential. Often these teams barely lose to top caliber teams. It is not always a blowout which would indicate that they should be competetively rated to make the chance of winning at least plausible.

I have seen Madden through the years rate players poorly on said teams to achieve a losing effect. "we have to make the players have lower ratings so the team loses like they will in real life" they must say to themselves. So fast players get rated low. No one would argue that in real life the Browns (theoretically) can have a barn burner for a kick returner and receiver, yet they never get the ball to him and never block so he doesn't break into the bigtime among the NFL elite. So Madden programmers see his stats (lackluster) and make him slower than in real life, less agile than in real life etc. Thus they get an outcome (browns losing) that is realistic in a different way.

I just wish I didn't feel like my players were running im mud or can't cut or can't break a single tackle just to achieve an outcome. Hopefully this year will be different. I just know that I have felt ripped of at the way they rate players on losing teams. As someone said above, you have absolutely no chance in heck of beating a better team with them. In real life, even the Browns occassionally play up to their potential and win against a better team. In Madden it is near impossible because of the "ratings effect" they use...or at least have used in the past.

Peace!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #40
Rookie

SD Union Tribune

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...8chargers.html

about halfway down...

"His 152 tackles in 2005 – a season in which he played the final 10 games with a torn meniscus (knee) that required offseason surgery – ranked fourth in the league. A study of his tackles last season showed that 67 (44 percent) were made after an opponent had gained three yards or less while 37 (24 percent) were made after an opponent had gained six or more yards.

These statistics might help explain why Smith sees Edwards as expendable."

you can't tell me that ray lewis, brian urlacher, or any other elite LB has such a high percentage of their tackles past 6 yards.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »