Home

Old 07-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #17
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Tattoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Tattoos represent Thug Life to a lot of mainstream people. Hence the NFL don't want them in. Well that's the speculation anyways.
I understand the speculation but it doesnt make sense to me.

A lot of people in our society have tattoos that have no association with any form of thugdom. A lot of people I know do. I can guarantee you they do not live a thug lifestyle nor do they represent one. Being a thug represents a thug lifestyle; having a tattoo or tattoos does not.

Tattoos are pretty much mainstream now I would think. They are not as taboo as they once were.

If they are worried about what represents thug life, why not just say you cant have any players in the game that have been associated with *actual* thug activity instead of getting rid of something perceived as being associated with thug life?

If the NFL wants to protect thier image , they can ask for the removal the majority of the players from Madden on the following list of arrested players in 2007:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/arrests.html

A lot of them are DUIs or traffic violations, but there are some good ones that not represent, but reveal a thug lifestyle by some of its players.

If the NFL is truly worried about not represnting thug life in its games, they need to not allow the actual thugs to be represented in the game. Not the tattoos.

If this is all speculation that this is the reason for no tattoos in the game, then this whole argument is moot. But it would be quite hypocritical that it is fine for the NFL players to have a tattoo, but in a representation of the NFL it is not. And for something as trival as a tattoo.

Quote:
And they are concerned about late hits, that is why there are no late hits in the game.
I was using it as a measure between reality and something perceived as an assoication of a lifestyle as what the NFL should be worried about. it seems, according to speculation, that they worry about both.

Oh, and they should also remove dreadlocks, ostentatious jewelry and hip-hop music because they may represent a thug lifestyle.

I agree that the NFL need to watch its image, but their energy seems misdirected if the tattoo thing is legit.

I am really not arguing with any of you, just the NFL in general.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Tattoos represent Thug Life to a lot of mainstream people. Hence the NFL don't want them in. Well that's the speculation anyways. And they are concerned about late hits, that is why there are no late hits in the game.
Yeah, That could be the case. But I don't think that if EA decided they wanted to put tattoo's in the game, the NFL would not allow it. I don't think the NFL would look at it that closely, or even realize it was there. I just don't think the NFL said, hey and by the way, don't make any of the tattoo's on the players, thats bad for our image (and regardless, tattoo's were in current gen for years, not authentic, but generic ones... so, they have okayed it before, if this is the case).

If there was any league that would do that, I think it would be the NBA. That is the league that "Image" (thug life tattoos, baggy shorts, street baller mantality) ..... not "actions" (arrests, dog fighting, DUI, ect).

The NFL is concerned with "Conduct", the NBA is concerned with "Image". Stern makes all playes show up to games in Suits or Colared shirts with slacks. Shorts can't be passed a certian lenght.

The NFL still cares about those things, but its not as important as conduct to them. They simply want players to wear the same socks and shoes as the team, tuck in their jersey, play the game and go home and not get in trouble.

Plus, the NBA, the players are exposed more then a player with pads on. So the KING BALLA'S tattoo's are pretty obvious, in the NFL, just the tattos exposed on arms would be seen. Im sure that there are a lot of people who don't know who has a tattoo or not in the NFL (I cant - and i watch a lot of football). It wouldn't be noticed that much.

So, im just saying, if tattoo's are in the NBA games, and Stern let them be in the game (which im sure he doesn't care either), then im sure Goodell wouldn't mind either. I don't think the league gets involved much in the videogames EA makes, but the sales, they know that EA knows what their doing. The leagues like to make money, at the end of the day, their not going to worry about tattoo's in a game. And to some extent, its welcomed, because they know the young audience that is going to buy this game, is into that stuff (tattoo's, baggy shorts, ect.). Jerry West and Jerry Jones do not have a 360. They know who they are shopping these game too, they not worried about Image in a video game (real life, yes, video game, I dont think so). Hence, games like NFL and NBA STREET.

JMO.

Last edited by dbshady; 07-09-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 16

If the nfl didn't want EA to put Tattos in Madden then PS2/XBOX version shouldn't have them...Which they do now.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:35 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 11

There are approximately 1700 players in the NFL as opposed to 450 in the NBA. On top of that, NFL uniforms are more complex. Since we are in the Next-Gen, people will only be happy with real, authentic, tats. Fake, generic, tats won't be accepted, while numerous thread titles will include the words "EA" and "LAZY". Putting tats in the game will look nice, but will it play nice? Now, it seems that EA has been all about framerate and gameplay. Lets keep it that way.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #21
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDOgF0reL1fe
To be honest, i didnt even notice they were gone
What he said.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #22
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy
Ya.

Tattoos should be a top priority.

lol
Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 9

The NFL is not a face league like the NBA. The NBA has more marketable individuals because it has open faces, it's flamboyant, yet elegant, and although it's a team sport, the individual has more dominance.

With that said, I cannot think of ONE NFL player who's tattoo I know by heart and I watch a LOT of NFL. However, in the NBA, I can think of tons, which is why they have more a demand for tatoos than anything else.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 07-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 19

only one i know of is randy moss's

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »