Home

can we hold the dev's responsible if we don't like it?

This is a discussion on can we hold the dev's responsible if we don't like it? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #33
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: can we hold the dev's responsible if we don't like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell05
So ask yourself what would you rather have this year the dev team focusing almost all available resources on the game play and franchise mode since those are most pressing needs and issues with the game. Or would you rather them try to do everything in year one or two and end up with a non polished mess of *earmuffs*?
Many feel EA is just a few years behind. I hate bringing up the other game in these post, but prior to 2K8, many items on our EA wishlist were coming straight from what 2K was doing. Things like gang tackling and double team blocks, to name a couple of things, were in 2K4 I believe... maybe earlier(I jumped on the band wagon with 2K4). Those things are just making there way into Madden this year... 4 years later, on new gen systems.

And other things still missing were in prior gen Maddens.

My feeling, like someone mentioned, is that at this pace, we'll be coming up on the next generation of systems by the time EA delivers a game that meets our expectations. Then we'll be dealing with the same "building for the new systems" issue.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #34
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam780
You are hearing about presentation alot because the people that used to complain about gameplay and lack of depth can't complain anymore because its been addressed. The only people that are left unsatisified with Madden's direction are the guys who value presentation #1.
There are still gaping holes in the gameplay. There's still no QB pocket. DEs still can't get up the field to contain, so breaking the pocket with the QB is still way too easy. Speed rushing DEs are useless because of the bad DE AI and DE/OT interaction. The gang tackling is welcomed, but still sub par. There appears to be no/little momentum.

Secondly, I don't value presentation #1, and I'm still unsatisfied... with gameplay and presentation. As long as other games deliver both, and I know it's possible, I'm not happy with EA's direction.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #35
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
There are still gaping holes in the gameplay. There's still no QB pocket. DEs still can't get up the field to contain, so breaking the pocket with the QB is still way too easy. Speed rushing DEs are useless because of the bad DE AI and DE/OT interaction. The gang tackling is welcomed, but still sub par. There appears to be no/little momentum.

Secondly, I don't value presentation #1, and I'm still unsatisfied... with gameplay and presentation. As long as other games deliver both, and I know it's possible, I'm not happy with EA's direction.
Don't get someone like me wrong when you see me whining about the presentation. I don't care much either but so far as I'm concerned there is zero presentation right now and it's a glaring hole. I guess there's a pre-game thing that I'll blaze through with the X button but I'm talking about in-action presentation. There's nothing. A nice little overlay with completion percentage would be cool. A simple stat or two. Nothing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #36
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell05
You actually think the PS4 and Xbox 3 will be out in three years lol
Xbox: 2001
Xbox 360: 2005

PS1: 1995
PS2: 2000
PS3: 2006

3 years puts in 2010....seems about right for the current trend...give or take a year. Technological upgrades are coming faster and faster in every industry. Why would video games be any different?

lol
Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

The dev cycle for football games is so short is what you guys have to realize. It's obvious most of you have taken programming classes either. Also, one last point, if you're waiting for a game that "meets your expectations" you will be waiting a long time. As in forever. Unless you buy EA and play them a bunch of games and point out every thing the way you want it and they can cater to your desires, exact skill level, what your idea of "real football" is, etc etc. Never going to happen.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #38
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
The dev cycle for football games is so short is what you guys have to realize. It's obvious most of you have taken programming classes either. Also, one last point, if you're waiting for a game that "meets your expectations" you will be waiting a long time. As in forever. Unless you buy EA and play them a bunch of games and point out every thing the way you want it and they can cater to your desires, exact skill level, what your idea of "real football" is, etc etc. Never going to happen.
I know this has probably been said over and over. I don't think anyone is demanding absolute perfection as most realize that it is unataibable. However, to demand a game that includes features that were standard in games on older, less powerful systems 2-3 years ago doesn't seem like an unfair demand. It just bothers me that Next Gen in reality means "sacrafice."

In what other industry does progress mean the same thing on such an obvious level? I look at car's computers, other electronics, houses, etc. and as time goes on and these industries progress, their products become more advanced and leave consumers with more options and power than they previously had. Why is that with video games, the opposite is true? Sure you progress here and here, but you digress on so many other levels. It's just hard to swallow.

It's getting to the point where I don''t want to see another system hit the shelves for another 10 years simply because I'd like to eventually enjoy my current system and what it really is capable for some periond of time before going though this cycle of ultimite digression again. I hate the fact that they finally nail something, then move on to a new system only to have what actually worked become obsolete to something that doesn't perform the same features as the older, out dated model.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #39
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
I know this has probably been said over and over. I don't think anyone is demanding absolute perfection as most realize that it is unataibable. However, to demand a game that includes features that were standard in games on older, less powerful systems 2-3 years ago doesn't seem like an unfair demand. It just bothers me that Next Gen in reality means "sacrafice."

In what other industry does progress mean the same thing on such an obvious level? I look at car's computers, other electronics, houses, etc. and as time goes on and these industries progress, their products become more advanced and leave consumers with more options and power than they previously had. Why is that with video games, the opposite is true? Sure you progress here and here, but you digress on so many other levels. It's just hard to swallow.

It's getting to the point where I don''t want to see another system hit the shelves for another 10 years simply because I'd like to eventually enjoy my current system and what it really is capable for some periond of time before going though this cycle of ultimite digression again. I hate the fact that they finally nail something, then move on to a new system only to have what actually worked become obsolete to something that doesn't perform the same features as the older, out dated model.
But don't forget that dev's had 10 years on the last gen platform. They've had three on the current gen games. If we're speaking about current gen games leaving out features from last gen- apf dropped franchise mode and they've had three years to work with the current system.

Their lack of attention to a particular area that you enjoy is not a personal attack. I don't think that people want Madden to be perfect but I do think they can be short sighted.

I'm not making excuses for what they've done in 06 or 07 but there is no way you can criticize 08 until you've played it.

Last edited by cam780; 08-02-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #40
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO

How can you be unsatisified with Madden 08's gameplay? You really won't know what its like until you actually play it. I'm not defending it for the same reason but you have admit that 08 sounds like its going to be the most solid gameplay experience Madden has ever offered. Again, my point is only that presentation is the only thing we know that Madden hasn't put effort behind improving by leaps and bounds this year. Sure there are still going to be improvements but as odogg has said, if you're waiting for the perfect game to be happy, you'll never be happy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »