Home

This is what bugs me about Madden and EA

This is a discussion on This is what bugs me about Madden and EA within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: This is what bugs me about Madden and EA

Madden as "designed" plays Great also but its gonna take some getting adjusted to by you the user.

Madden throws you off because you can't exactly believe what yu are seeing when making a pass. Even though you just saw your WR get seperation on a fly route and just flew by the Defender playing zone dont mean he is REALLY open. Visually he is open, but with the DB AI amped up on roids, you have to really lead your passes or wait a little longer for the WR to clear the effective(jump the route range) of the defender. Once you get adjusted to this you can make any throw you want. Its not perfect but its better than the garbage we have had the last 2 years next gen.

You have not seen slider discussions in the Ap2K8 forum because the game plays soundly out the box. It has its own problems, but overall It plays great as is.

Until the Madden people deal with the fundamental way the offense and defense combat each other, instead of just bandaiding a system that relys more on "cheating" the AI rather than putting the onus on the user making sound playcalling decisions, and giving the user the tools to use the players to make plays, this problem is not going away.

I got JUMPED on for trying to start a good debate on this and now the hens are coming home to roose and the reality is sinking in that something is fundamentally wrong with the way this game does its passing/defend the passing game, everyone is complaining about it.

P.S. I bought the PC version. It plays a bit more like the Xbox version but better it seems. IMO I think the PC version may be the best verion of Madden this year.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15

Arguing on a Madden forum with a guy called MaddenMan is pretty much..well, you know what you are dealing with. For the rest of us in unbiased reality, there are definitley some serious TO issues in this game.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenMan
Sliders imo are a waste of time since they don't work in ranked matches and 90% of Madden tourneys use default All-Pro 5 minute settings.
Whoa...what does that matter? If we want to have a [more] fun time on our own or with our friends, the sliders here and on NCAA need to be more responsive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #12
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

I don't think the turnover thing is a bug. I think it was intentional to create more big plays and more excitement. To me, it just causes unrealistic football. I hope the look at all the negative feedback. And I heard someone say on here that is was reported that Madden was getting a patch and NCAA was not. I'm not sure if the patch is for the turnovers, but likely for the real glitches - but hopefully they will see all this negative feedback and release a patch. And I am not worried about me fumbling or throwng picks. I have only fumbled once in my last three games, and it was overturned by the cpu being stupid and accepting a penalty they should not have. And if I throw a pick, it is normally because I made a bad throw, a bad decision, or got hit as I released the ball. That will improve with time. But we can't do anything about the cpu - that is broken.

I agree that sliders should work more drastically. Especially now that the go up by one to 100. If I move it up one, then the difference should only be noticible over a large sample size. Moving it up 5 shuld be more noticible. Moving it all the way up or down should make a gigantic impact on the game. Same with penalties. Some of the penalties are just broken. Fasemasking, for instance. But I have noticed changes when I adjust Offsides, False Start, and Holding.

And personally, I like that sliders are there. I don't like finding the right set, but I am much more pleased with the game overall when I have found them. I remember playing Madden 99 for the N64, which had no sliders. On that game, even on all-madden, it was a little too easy. Same thing goes with All-Star Baseball for the N64 - on the hardest difficulty, I still had an .800 winning percentage. Sports games are the hardest to design difficulty for - because if I'm playing as a .500 team, I should lose half my games, and I know that. If I'm playing, say Gears of War, or Oblivion, there is no real life borometer about how well I should be doing. So there is more room for variety. For a sports game to appeal difficulty wise to everyone without sliders, there would have to be like 15 difficulties. It's easier and more pratical to let the player do it themselves. Especially since some players want more offense, or more defense, etc. They just need to make the sliders work more.

I really like the AI on this game - I do. I just wish that if we turned the int slider to 0, DB's would ALWAYS go for a swat rather than the pick.

And I disagree mightily that sliders are pointless on the grounds that they don't work online. That is just flat wrong - the majority of people who buy this game will never play a game online. And many others will play a little online, but spend a lot of time offline. I personally have Xbox Live, but I will probably play about a dozen games online this year, if that. Personally, I just don't like playing sports games online. I play other games online, just not sports games. So being able to get a realistic game offline is crucial for me.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenMan
Maybe because they are not bugs..... Adjust your playstyle accordingly and play smarter football. I've played a bunch of online games where ppl bitch about an interception etc and they are throwing in double or triple coverage, throwing against Champ Baily or Dre' Bly. Throwing on the run or unbalanced etc.

Also with the fumbles remember they are part of the game but you must keep tapping the RB button in traffic to cover the ball.

Sliders imo are a waste of time since they don't work in ranked matches and 90% of Madden tourneys use default All-Pro 5 minute settings.

I'm having a ton of fun with this game but I'm not trying to pass every down etc and trying to keep it real.

Not sure what you're talking bout bud. Reread my post.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
Banned

I am talking about SLIDERS THAT WORK. Not some bug......With sliders that work none of this would be going on.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #15
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

EA and Madden remind me of a fishing pier that used to be at Atlantic Beach NC
Bear with me... I know I know where the hell is this going...

Anyways when you entered the pier there was a big sign that said "You should have been here Yesterday" and when you left it read "Come back they'll bite tomorrow"

EA can we ever have a good game here and now? Next gen is on it's 3rd release and you still have HUGE bugs and promises for next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #16
Banned

Bump.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »