Home

Putting make-up on a pig...

This is a discussion on Putting make-up on a pig... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12
Exclamation Putting make-up on a pig...

Good afternoon OS,

Just thought I'd share my experience with about Madden 08.

Since the game came out, I've been wringing my hands going back and forth over whether or not to keep my PS3 version (I only own a PS3) or trade my system and go back to the 360 (Not just for Madden, but it seems like all of the sports games that are out now). First of all, why is it SO hard to find a store that will put this game in and actually allow you to play it? At least in my area, no place has the game out and running. I've mainly been trying Gamestops and EB's, but today I tried Best Buy. Funny thing is they had the full version of the game at the kiosk, but for some reason the controllers were disabled. This actually allowed me to sit there and stare at the demo that runs when you don't start the game at the beginning.

So the demo starts and I'm watching the SAME old Madden gameplay being run by the computer and the same old tired presentation, only it looked remarkable for the most part. I must of stood there for at least 15 minutes just watching the gameplay and trying to justify to myself if I should go back to the 360 so I can enjoy this game at it's graphic/animation best.

But then it dawned on me, with the weird awkward tackles that have been in the game forever, you know the ones where the defenders tackle you with their backs. Or the weird collision detection that has guys bouncing backwards off of the runner as if they've been shocked by electricity and knocked to the ground. or maybe it was the rain that comes down in sheets, but only right in front of the camera (and not even all the way across the screen.

Whatever the reason was, it made me come to my senses and realize that I need to stick it out with my PS3 and the uglier duckling version of the game, because in the end, I could see my enjoyment fading over time just as much with the 360 version as with the PS3 version, because so many of the other annoyances that I have with the game are still there.

So really, in essence, it would be truly like putting make-up on a pig...

Playing the ugly game will serve as a reminder that, even though Madden has come a long way, it still has a LONG way to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: Putting make-up on a pig...

Don't see this lasting much longer .. what's the whole point of this post really? You don't like the 360 version .. or the game itself for that matter, why do you even have Madden still?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausar72
Good afternoon OS,

Just thought I'd share my experience with about Madden 08.

Since the game came out, I've been wringing my hands going back and forth over whether or not to keep my PS3 version (I only own a PS3) or trade my system and go back to the 360 (Not just for Madden, but it seems like all of the sports games that are out now). First of all, why is it SO hard to find a store that will put this game in and actually allow you to play it? At least in my area, no place has the game out and running. I've mainly been trying Gamestops and EB's, but today I tried Best Buy. Funny thing is they had the full version of the game at the kiosk, but for some reason the controllers were disabled. This actually allowed me to sit there and stare at the demo that runs when you don't start the game at the beginning.

So the demo starts and I'm watching the SAME old Madden gameplay being run by the computer and the same old tired presentation, only it looked remarkable for the most part. I must of stood there for at least 15 minutes just watching the gameplay and trying to justify to myself if I should go back to the 360 so I can enjoy this game at it's graphic/animation best.

But then it dawned on me, with the weird awkward tackles that have been in the game forever, you know the ones where the defenders tackle you with their backs. Or the weird collision detection that has guys bouncing backwards off of the runner as if they've been shocked by electricity and knocked to the ground. or maybe it was the rain that comes down in sheets, but only right in front of the camera (and not even all the way across the screen.

Whatever the reason was, it made me come to my senses and realize that I need to stick it out with my PS3 and the uglier duckling version of the game, because in the end, I could see my enjoyment fading over time just as much with the 360 version as with the PS3 version, because so many of the other annoyances that I have with the game are still there.

So really, in essence, it would be truly like putting make-up on a pig...

Playing the ugly game will serve as a reminder that, even though Madden has come a long way, it still has a LONG way to go.
"Lipstick on a pig." But your point is well taken.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
MVP

ausar72's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven
Don't see this lasting much longer .. what's the whole point of this post really? You don't like the 360 version .. or the game itself for that matter, why do you even have Madden still?
I like the 360 version of the game...

...for what it is.

I'm playing the PS3 version, warts and all, because it is the one system that I chose and I can only afford to have one.

This post is an opinion of the game that I am looking to see if others share that is all. I think it's messed up what EA did to this game on one system vs. the other.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
MVP

ausar72's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantKingNy
"Lipstick on a pig." But your point is well taken.
Thanks...

I was close!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 11

Oh I see .. with the system thing, but really Sony should have made the console more dev friendly .. seems like not only Madden had trouble getting the game to be pretty much equal on both systems
Old 08-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausar72
Don't torture yourself. Just do what's right for you, independent of the game. Seems you're a bit too concerned about proving some point. It's a video game; enjoy it for what it is, or simply move on.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Why wasn't this just posted in the impression thread?

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »