Home

Franchise Salary Cap?

This is a discussion on Franchise Salary Cap? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Franchise Salary Cap?

EA has never had a realistic salary cap for the franchise. It's way too easy to abuse and it shouldn't be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #26
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam780
I can't speak for the casual gamer but I think they'd still want the cap in place but all of the little things involved would drag it down.

And I agree, there is a laundry list of things that I'd like to see in Madden next year but I'm still loving the game now.

So make three options for salary cap - off, on, advanced. On would work as it does now, advanced would have more complex salary cap management.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #27
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

I play with some house rules that somewhat curbs the real crappy Franchise logic in the current gen games (last gen is much better since the inclusion of Franchise Roles last year). Some of these have been mentioned..

- I don't touch the money portion of contract negotiations, just the years.
- Rookies. 1st rounders I sign to 5 year deals, 2nd rounders I sign to 4 year deals, 3rd rounders get 3 years, 4th rounders get 2 years and the last three rounds get a one year deal.
- I only allow myself to resign one player from my roster when they become free agents. This happens in the NFL. Very rarely do you see multiple guys resign with the same team, instead opting to try the free agent market.
- I only trade through the Trade Block and sometimes don't allow myself to trade players, just draft picks prior to or during the Draft.
- Not allowed to renegotiate contracts at all. I either keep or release the player, which coupled with not touching the money portion in contract negotiations, can pile up in cap penalties.

I know there's more but those are the ones off the top of my head.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 4

Curious about something -- The salary cap was created to create parity in the NFL - It just a means to an end and a real pain in the arse to manage - and in my opinion makes the MVP of any franchise not the player on the field but a pencil pusher in some back room... I am old enough to remember the days of the NFL when your favorite player wore your teams jersey for their entire career - miss those days.

Be that as it may - why not turn it off? Does the CPU still manage teams and free agents as if their is one and not resign their players? With it off do the small market teams have less money than the large market teams?
Old 08-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #29
MVP

Kohlstar20's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite1347
Curious about something -- The salary cap was created to create parity in the NFL - It just a means to an end and a real pain in the arse to manage - and in my opinion makes the MVP of any franchise not the player on the field but a pencil pusher in some back room... I am old enough to remember the days of the NFL when your favorite player wore your teams jersey for their entire career - miss those days.

Be that as it may - why not turn it off? Does the CPU still manage teams and free agents as if their is one and not resign their players? With it off do the small market teams have less money than the large market teams?
Unless I have been blind over the years Im pretty sure you CAN'T turn the salary CAP off.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohlstar20
Unless I have been blind over the years Im pretty sure you CAN'T turn the salary CAP off.
Blind you have been.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 4

Indeed....
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »