Home

Some UK Noob friendly help please :)

This is a discussion on Some UK Noob friendly help please :) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Some UK Noob friendly help please :)

Hi All,

Well, I've been playing the Madden series on and off for years, since Megadrive/Genesis days but never really got into it. Always another game or a real *football* game would come out to distract me.

Anyway, I picked up a cheap 07 on the 360 and am having fun but not really knowing what the hell I'm doing

I know the rules and so on (to an extent) but there are a million and one plays and tbh they all are very confusing, the only one I know for sure is a Blitz.

So, I hear a 4-3 covers most things and for someone like me, this is a pretty good defensive formation to use, so I use it...mostly. Trouble comes when I'm on offence, I see their defence line up and I don't have a clue what they're preparing for unless they have guys already deep, then I presume they're expecting a passing play.

I need help though, I'd love a run down of a few good plays and a noob friendly explanation of these plays. I love this sport though and I am definitely buying 08, even with it's problems.
We don't get it over here until the 31st Aug though so for now, 07 tips and ANY help would be great please.

Cheers guys.

Last edited by Axel40; 08-21-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Some UK Noob friendly help please :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel40
Hi All,

Well, I've been playing the Madden series on and off for years, since Megadrive/Genesis days but never really got into it. Always another game or a real *football* game would come out to distract me.

Anyway, I picked up a cheap 07 on the 360 and am having fun but not really knowing what the hell I'm doing

I know the rules and so on (to an extent) but there are a million and one plays and tbh they all are very confusing, the only one I know for sure is a Blitz

So, I hear a 4-3 covers most things and for someone like me, this is a pretty good defensive formation to use, so I use it...mostly. Trouble comes when I'm on offence, I see their defence line up and I don't have a clue what they're preparing for unless they have guys already deep, then I presume they're expecting a passing play.

I need help though, I'd love a run down of a few good plays and a noob friendly explanation of these plays. I love this sport though and I am definitely buying 08, even with it's problems.
We don't get it over here until the 31st Aug though so for now, 07 tips and ANY help would be great please.

Cheers guys.
To keep it fairly simple but a good base is to use the 4-3 or 3-4 against offensive packages that have 2 or less WR. Use the Nickle against 3 WR packages, dime vs 4 WR and quarter vs 5 WR. This will give you at least decent matchups as the more WRs the offense has on the field you are rmoving a linebacker and replacing them with a defensive back, generally a quicker player that defends the pass better.
Another option for you is to use the 'Ask Madden' optiopn on the play call screen.

On offense you may want to look at the number of players 'in the box'. This means within the tight ends and within 3 yards (1 meter or so ) of the line of scrimmage. If they have the safties up (the last guys in the back of the defense) then most likely they are playing the run. If they are further back, 10-12 yards off the line, then they are playing the pass. Of course the D can disguise their looks as well so there isn't a cut and dry rule here.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Run 4-3 or 3-4 vs 2 WR sets, usually if they bring out 3 WR run a Nickle. 4 WR a Dime, and 5WR run Quarters/Prevent depending on the situation. Hope this helps some.

If you don't run extra CBs you will have LBs defending WRs and usually that is a BAD BAD idea, depending on who your LBs are that is.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Rookie

Thanks guys,

Very helpful. I'm also having trouble getting the pass. I think I'm right in saying that to catch the ball you simply run to the highlight and press Y at the right time.

Doesn't work to often

Just my timing off or is there a nack to it?

Again many thanks, I'm having fun but I wish they would hurry up and release 08.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel40
Thanks guys,

Very helpful. I'm also having trouble getting the pass. I think I'm right in saying that to catch the ball you simply run to the highlight and press Y at the right time.

Doesn't work to often

Just my timing off or is there a nack to it?

Again many thanks, I'm having fun but I wish they would hurry up and release 08.
There a feel to it but can't realy explain it. I would suggest using the practise mode - you can even do it with just the offense. This might help you get a feel for catching the ball. I often just let teh CPU handle the catching of the ball unless I made a bad throw and need to go get the ball. Then you can do it against a defender as well in practice mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Maybe this will help:

http://guides.ign.com/guides/868499/

Some of it is really basic, but it may help you if you are not too familiar with the game.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

on offense, the best way to know what the defense is doing is to determine if they're in a zone or a man coverage.

You can put a receiver in motion and if the defender follows him, they're in man. If the defense simply shifts over, they are in zone. The basic thought is you pass against a zone and run against a man defense.

the reason for this is that a zone defense, the defenders keep their shoulders forward and eyes on the quarterback/running back. If it's run, the defense sees this and can start running to the ball right away. But in man coverage, the linebackers and DBs run with the player they are assigned to cover which means they will usually have their backs to the play.

Now, with the ridiculous superhuman DBs that have eyes in the back of their heads and can teleport at will, getting used to passing through zone coverage will take some practice. I can do it now fine but that's because I've been playing madden for a while and I know what stuff works and what doesn't. Go to practice mode or just play exhibition against the computer and find out what works for you.

For passing, everybody has their own style and likes and dislikes, but I try to keep it simple so here's some thoughts. For outside receivers I like inside slants, posts, streaks and dig routes. For a slot receiver (lines up inside close to a tight end or tackle, the #3 WR) I like comebacks and outs. For tight ends I like streaks, outs and pretty much any playaction pass. For running backs, I like circle routes and swing passes. For full backs, I like swing passes, playaction and screens.

Hopefully I was of some help.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude
on offense, the best way to know what the defense is doing is to determine if they're in a zone or a man coverage.

You can put a receiver in motion and if the defender follows him, they're in man. If the defense simply shifts over, they are in zone. The basic thought is you pass against a zone and run against a man defense.

the reason for this is that a zone defense, the defenders keep their shoulders forward and eyes on the quarterback/running back. If it's run, the defense sees this and can start running to the ball right away. But in man coverage, the linebackers and DBs run with the player they are assigned to cover which means they will usually have their backs to the play.

Now, with the ridiculous superhuman DBs that have eyes in the back of their heads and can teleport at will, getting used to passing through zone coverage will take some practice. I can do it now fine but that's because I've been playing madden for a while and I know what stuff works and what doesn't. Go to practice mode or just play exhibition against the computer and find out what works for you.

For passing, everybody has their own style and likes and dislikes, but I try to keep it simple so here's some thoughts. For outside receivers I like inside slants, posts, streaks and dig routes. For a slot receiver (lines up inside close to a tight end or tackle, the #3 WR) I like comebacks and outs. For tight ends I like streaks, outs and pretty much any playaction pass. For running backs, I like circle routes and swing passes. For full backs, I like swing passes, playaction and screens.

Hopefully I was of some help.
You were, eventually. Thank you all so much.

What I mean is, to start with all that you wrote looks like
a foreign language. All this terminology for a UK guy to grasp is heavy. I had to read over it a few times, sloooowly

" You can put a receiver in motion" ??????????

especially this part, is that an Audible or a specific key press? (Sounds stupid no doubt to you guys brought up on the game but the booklet is useless)
Perhaps I should explain the off-side rule in (I hate to call it this) Soccer.

That's far simpler of course but if you have no idea then you might just understand the difficulty I'm having.

Says a lot for the sport/game when people like me still persist in trying even when we don't fully understand it.

I understand if you guys want to run away from this thread btw.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Axel40; 08-20-2007 at 03:58 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »