Home

Madden 08 vs NFL 2k5?

This is a discussion on Madden 08 vs NFL 2k5? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #41
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden 08 vs NFL 2k5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
Point taken. But surely you realize that once certain elements have been exposed to the public it is hard to go back? I played 2k5 last night and had 5-6 penalties. A facemask against me after I caught a pass, 2 holding calls against the other team as I bull rushed and their line held me (i could visually see it!) 2 illegal forward pass penalties against me ( I scrambled and was going to run both times but a receiver came open at the last second....I guess I was just across the LOS) and 2 offsides on me. I even challenged the

I know I am not "joe public" but I found them realistic and they drew me into the game.
The public in general has said time and time again they don't like a lot of penalties overall, especially the ones you speak of which they have no control over such as holding, facemask, etc. So I don't think this will ever be a part of mainstream, popular football titles. I can't really blame EA for not putting these things in which the overall public dislike. I would like it but we're on the short end of the stick on this one.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
The public in general has said time and time again they don't like a lot of penalties overall, especially the ones you speak of which they have no control over such as holding, facemask, etc. So I don't think this will ever be a part of mainstream, popular football titles. I can't really blame EA for not putting these things in which the overall public dislike. I would like it but we're on the short end of the stick on this one.

If the general public doesn't want penalties, the solution is simple. EA can make penalties off by default to satisfy the "public". But once the gamer sets the penalties to "on" then they should work properly, no? What's so difficult about that?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 15

Screw penalties. There's nothing worse than making a great play and having it called back because something that's totally out of your control. The ONLY time I want penalties is if I'm the one committing them (like if I were an offensive lineman and dragged somebody down or something).

Sure, not ENTIRELY sim, but I'd rather deal with what we have now than what we'd have if all of these penalty boys got their wish.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangauler
Screw penalties. There's nothing worse than making a great play and having it called back because something that's totally out of your control. The ONLY time I want penalties is if I'm the one committing them (like if I were an offensive lineman and dragged somebody down or something).

Sure, not ENTIRELY sim, but I'd rather deal with what we have now than what we'd have if all of these penalty boys got their wish.
Great, then you can set penalties to "off" while people who set it to "on" can get what they want. Win-win, everyone goes home happy, right?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #45
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by djep
Great, then you can set penalties to "off" while people who set it to "on" can get what they want. Win-win, everyone goes home happy, right?
Yes. I personally don't like penalties but the sliders should work for those that want them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #46
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
In which case makes Madden an arcade game, not a true sim. Penalties are part of the game, so if you take them out, then you have watered down the game, period. Instead of toning down the penalties, they should've toned down the fumbles and ints. It's really sad that I'm playing Madden on pro level and lose 3-5 fumbles per game, and that's just me. Even the cpu fumbles a lot. It's re-damn-diculous.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drae2
In which case makes Madden an arcade game, not a true sim. Penalties are part of the game, so if you take them out, then you have watered down the game, period. Instead of toning down the penalties, they should've toned down the fumbles and ints. It's really sad that I'm playing Madden on pro level and lose 3-5 fumbles per game, and that's just me. Even the cpu fumbles a lot. It's re-damn-diculous.

I got news for ya. All these games we talk about are all ARCADE game including 2K5. Most people would not be able to play "true sims".

You're right about the fumbles however. It almost makes the game unplayable. Everything else is so good this year. This game is really on the right track IMO.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drae2
I'm not seeing the fumble issue as much anymore since I reconfigured my controller to have the X button protect the ball with the running backs.
I get maybe 1 or 2 fumbles a game which I don't think is too excessive.
Just a suggestion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »