Home

Why Doesn't EA Release a Limited Time Beta For Future Releases?

This is a discussion on Why Doesn't EA Release a Limited Time Beta For Future Releases? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
Rookie

jahswill's Arena

OVR: 7
Why Doesn't EA Release a Limited Time Beta For Future Releases?

This could easily eliminate all major bugs. If you think about it, Halo was Beta tested by the masses and I think that C of D Modern warfare is going to offer limited beta access to the public. These companies have the right idea. Why not get aspiring consumers test your game for free?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Why Doesn't EA Release a Limited Time Beta For Future Releases?

But that's for the netcode.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 8

we get to play the limited time beta every year. There is only a year to tweak the game which is not that much time. Most games get about 3 years to get the whole thing together. the problem isn't that EA doesn't get feedback. the problem is that they don't listen to the community as much as they should
Old 09-25-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12

My honest opinion would be they dont want to waste the time to fix the problems.

It will sell very, very well each and every year ..no matter what the gameplay / bugs are. After the initial purchase, they have their money from the product. They could care less if you trade it in 2 days later for something else because you dont like it....you have already given them your money.

So now you are very pissed that you got what you consider a bugged out game..what do you do? You wait until the next year to get your football fix. The moment the next one comes out...everyone rushes to buy it because they really want it to be much better than the previous years.

I am just as guilty as the next party in doing this. For 3 years there has been no other alternative than EA for your football fix. As much as I like 2k5, after a few years Im yearning for something different and more.

As far as bugs go...I dont think they are willing to put the time in to make it a bug free game. Its amazing how little work goes into these football titles, yet each year its something different and glaring when it comes to bugs / glitches.

Each year we buy the game with the hopes that there is nothing really gamebreaking or out of place with these titles...and each year is disappointing. If they had released a player beta and these problems were found.....there would be an outrage even by the die hard madden fans. So now instead of the dev blogs hyping everyone up like they did a good job this year....they are playing a defensive gaqme trying to please the masses.

If you look at how Madden marketing was here prior to it launching, it seemed that everyone was very excited upon its release. The hype machine was in full force. I think EA knows what it is doing by not releasing a beta....its preserving they hype.

An example that Im very familiar would be Vangaurd on the PC. For years it was hyped up to be the greatest MMO to the MMO crowd ( Pre WoW ) Finally the beta hit and the game was a complete diaster from top to bottom. This directly affected sales and as a result Sigil was bought out and many of the employees fired in the parking lot.

Madden doesnt have this problem. It is a huge household name when it comes to sports and regardless of the quality, it will always remain a 1m+ seller year in and out.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 11

Every dog has it's day!

IMO times are changing for Madden football. Someone is going to come up with something that is so creative and unique that people will drop Madden and realize that they have been fed crap for the last three years.

Nothing stays on top forever and Madden will not either. I'm not saying backbreakers is going to be the game, because who knows how that will look and play but it's interesting none the less.

I believe All Pro is heading in the right direction if they continue to improve and give the fans full customization with a franchise. I think they have the talent to get it done. If EA didn't buy the license then I don't think this thread or the million other ones would even exist. EA knows this!

At some point as we get older we stop playing games (that is alot of Madden fans over the years). The younger kids that are growing up are looking for something fun to play. They don't know any better except what is fed to them through their friends, media and on Sunday afternoon football commercials. Money needs to be spent on advertising where (kids) who enjoy sports are spending most of their time.

1). Colleges everywhere (visit the schools have tournaments)
2) Saturday, Sunday and Monday night football games. (tv ads)
3). High school games (tv ads, banners, kiosks)
4). Advertise a 20 second commercial at the start up of other popular non sports games! Everyone can make a deal with each other! Like before movies play, sneek peeks!
5). Radio advertising, internet ads.
6). In the malls where kids go and buy stuff including their game stores.

Until a developer give us something fresh, innovative and willing to spend some cash to promote the game as previously stated, how will the younger kids know to try it out?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2007, 02:39 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

Because they can sell a beta for 59 dollars each year instead.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Well they are going to sell either way. But so is Call of Duty. And Halo 3 could've have been riddled with bugs and it still would've broken all kinds of records. These games (I think) put out the "beta" to build hype for the game more than anything else.

The fact is, Madden doesn't have the time to release a beta. Because of the yearly release schedule, the game probably wouldn't be fit to beta test (most years) until less than a month before release. That isn't enough time to recieve the feedback and make adjustments. It is quicker (but not as thorough) to have in-house testers. This year, I honestly believe the game took longer than normal, so it was released before it should have been since they had hyped the date so much. They should've delayed it three weeks(in my opinion) to have it release two days before the Saints/Colts game. They could have gotten a lot more done.

Personally I wish the would release every two years instead of every year (like sports titles without years attached to them normally do). Release a roster/uniform/stadium update in the off year. It will never happen, as they would lose money, but we would get better games. Or maybe have two teams instead of one, working on alternating years.

And All-Pro Football will NEVER surpass Madden as long as Madden has the NFL license.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

For the millionth time.........TIME is not an issue with EA/Madden. Year in and year out, there is very little that is actually redone from the ground up, particularly with the game engine, so a one year dev cycle is plenty of time. How else can you explain all the other yearly releases (some even from EA) that are much better overall games, in terms of quality control, nearly bug free, and supported as well, or better, than Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »