Home

Stepping up in the pocket

This is a discussion on Stepping up in the pocket within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Banned

HotShot232's Arena

OVR: 6
Stepping up in the pocket

I was thinking about this. I am a big APF fan but I am also diggin madden. Now after playing both for some months now. I wanted to bring something to everyone attention.

You often hear in real live football them talking about "Stepping up into the pocket" to make the pass. Now in madden so many blocks by your O-line man either WIFF or get burnt almost instantly from the snap. You have to make your read and throw VERY quickly.

Normal play goes like this.
  • Hike
  • Computer does drop
  • Make throw

How often do you see this happen OR do you do this
  • Hike
  • Computer does drop
  • Scan field
  • Step up in pocket
  • Make throw

I think this is one of my biggest complaints about madden before even the fumble issue. The O-line play is just so LAST-GEN. There is nothing realistic about the LINE play in madden. No pocket to speak of. Biggest let down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Stepping up in the pocket

I am a 2k fan, and thats one of the things you really miss when you play EA football. I play NCAA 08 as my main sports game currently, and there really is no life on the field. I like the tackle animations, but the sidelines are lifeless, the crowd is lifeless, and the on-field play is sloppy. Other than that, its an enjoyable experience.

Red October
On the road to Vick-tory

Nas = GOAT
Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Banned

HotShot232's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta95
I am a 2k fan, and thats one of the things you really miss when you play EA football. I play NCAA 08 as my main sports game currently, and there really is no life on the field. I like the tackle animations, but the sidelines are lifeless, the crowd is lifeless, and the on-field play is sloppy. Other than that, its an enjoyable experience.
I am not writing this for a madden vs 2k comparsion.

I want people to discuss the madden pocket. (or lack of)

thanks
Hotshot
Old 10-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
I love meaty chics

ac11367's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotShot232
The O-line play is just so LAST-GEN. There is nothing realistic about the LINE play in madden. No pocket to speak of. Biggest let down.
At least last gen you can shift the direction of where you want your O-line to pass block. I still haven't seen two O-linemen doubling on one D-lineman yet on Madden, which I've seen on APF.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I here so many ppl say there is no pocket but there is and I use it very effecticely. I step up and every thing and I have no problems. If you ever see me on Just hit me up Postman17 is the gt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
MVP

RedmanR's Arena

OVR: 11

I'm no Madden pro nor can I agree or sympathize with you concerning the pocket presence or lack of... IMO a pocket does exist... Every play... no!!!

Whether the CPU drops back for you or not is solely the users discretion. I have yet to witness a CPU QB step up in the pocket and make a throw myself but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I just can't vouch for it myself. Since I handle my own snap and dropback I find it very satisfying to be able to step up in the pocket and complete a pass without being sacked

Good topic HotShot, I don't think this was ever discussed at the NCAA 08' threads either
Old 10-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I agree that the inablity to shift protection is lame, but while playing on All Madden and having the pass block slider at 80 I find that bad D-lines will give you time to use the pocket effectively and great D-lines will bring pressure as much as they should in real life.

Check out the slider section to find a set that fits your style. I have eliminated most of the gameplay problems like blocking, catching and coverage. The only thing they can't solve is the cheap AI making a comeback.

This should help make for a better feel with stepping up and making a throw-

All Pro- Pass Block 60

All Madden- Pass Block 80

Last edited by thisiscrazy411; 10-05-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Pro

Xx 74 xX's Arena

OVR: 11

I constantly step up in the pocket, and based on what the rush is doing, I either run, or move a bit waiting for passing lanes to open up.

It' does work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »