Home

This Game Needs Soul

This is a discussion on This Game Needs Soul within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: This Game Needs Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
I'll agree with you there. I went back and played Madden 2003 the other day and to me, that's still the best one overall as far as fun goes. Seems like something's been lacking since the 2005 version in my opinion but I don't know what it is exactly. Seems like their more arcadish these days than the early PS2 Maddens were.
I've never really been able to wrap my head around statements like this one. Please don't take this as an attack on your opinion, I just don't see how some folks can say Madden'05 was the best one when Madden'08 (PS2/XBOX/PC) is everything that Madden'05 was, plus it's gameplay and franchise mode have become significantly more refined than it's three year old counter-part.

I think most people assume that the last-gen version is just a roster-update, which couldn't be further from the truth because a lot of little things have been improved/enhanced.

One improvement that immediately comes to mind is the difference between the DB AI in '05 as compared to '08. In Madden'05 the "physic DB" A.I. was in full effect, they ran the routes just as good as the WR's which totally negated the effectives of many routes (i.e. slants) and they also had the ability to react to balls that they couldn't see coming. In '08 the DB's cover routes and make plays on the ball more realistically without having to cheat; this alone makes '08 a better game than '05 in my opinion, and that's just one of the improvements.

If you enjoyed Madden'03 and Madden'05, I'm certain that you will thorougly enjoy Madden'08 just as much; if not more-so
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 10-17-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac11367
I have the PSP version, and it has so much soul I'd call it the James Brown (or Jackie Wilson) of video games.

I know what the OP was saying. I remember the PS2 version being pretty addicting, even though opportunities for cheesing was abundant. The 360 version, for some reason, just doesn't keep me playing everynight.
I am having a blast on PS2, the simple solution is:stick to old system football until a proper next gen experience is available?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 17

I think the true token "NEXT GEN" football game wont be until it includes a radically more advanced motion physics based engine. Pre rendered and scripted Motion Captured gameplay has run it's toll. We need total unlimited freedom to see action unfold differently every game, every play....Until then, we are just building upon a dated foundation that has limitations
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
I've never really been able to wrap my head around statements like this one. Please don't take this as an attack on your opinion, I just don't see how some folks can say Madden'05 was the best one when Madden'08 (PS2/XBOX/PC) is everything that Madden'05 was, plus it's gameplay and franchise mode have become significantly more refined than it's three year old counter-part.

I think most people assume that the last-gen version is just a roster-update, which couldn't be further from the truth because a lot of little things have been improved/enhanced.

One improvement that immediately comes to mind is the difference between the DB AI in '05 as compared to '08. In Madden'05 the "physic DB" A.I. was in full effect, they ran the routes just as good as the WR's which totally negated the effectives of many routes (i.e. slants) and they also had the ability to react to balls that they couldn't see coming. In '08 the DB's cover routes and make plays on the ball more realistically without having to cheat; this alone makes '08 a better game than '05 in my opinion, and that's just one of the improvements.

If you enjoyed Madden'03 and Madden'05, I'm certain that you will thorougly enjoy Madden'08 just as much; if not more-so
huh?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 8

I feel you with the title of this thread. Honestly I flat out forgot I bought this game. My older son was thumbing through my 360 games and he said "Hey dad.. how come you do not play madden 08?" LOL I had no answer for him. I ended up trading it in and buying a 60 day pre paid card for him to play WoW. I guess we can play madden 07 for now I still have that.

I might even break down and pick up the ps2 version of 08. I also have allpro 2k and it is allright I guess. But it does get a little old playing with the legends. Also when I play with my son I have to explain to him some of the older people of this sport.

Again I agree on this thread title. there is something missing this year,there is no hotsauce on my chicken or something..:-)
Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #14
MVP

DLaren's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
huh?

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 AM   #15
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

I just noticed you are playing Madden 08 on the PS2. Now what you're saying makes sense. Most people are talking about the 360 or Ps3 version.

I started playing the PS2 version, and I love it. I totally agree with you if you are talking about the PS2 version.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2007, 03:00 AM   #16
MVP

DLaren's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
I just noticed you are playing Madden 08 on the PS2. Now what you're saying makes sense. Most people are talking about the 360 or Ps3 version.

I started playing the PS2 version, and I love it. I totally agree with you if you are talking about the PS2 version.
Cool...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »