Home

New Madden Producer Blog (About patchs & updates)

This is a discussion on New Madden Producer Blog (About patchs & updates) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #57
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: New Madden Producer Blog (About patchs & updates)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Not too long ago people all over these forums were calling APF a return to competition for Madden/NCAA. And now all of the sudden it doesn't count because it's not licensed. A bunch of BS at best. You don't need a license to be competition. Winning Eleven routinely pimp-smacks the FIFA series every year in just about every way imaginable. It doesn't need a license to be a fan and critic favorite. Saying you need a licens to be competitive is a cop-out.....nothing more.
In terms of football competition,yes they were right.
I see you use the soccer comparison....
I will do my best to show you why this comparison is faulty.

1) In the states,soccer is no where NEAR as popular as football.
2) When comparing soccer games....how many of the teams, let alone players (excluding Beckham) do you think folks know?
3) Now....imo the reason why Winning Eleven is more popular,(besides gameplay) is due to the fact that it's not as important WHO the players are and WHAT the name of the teams are...because their not as widely recognized.

Now...use your theory. Do you not think that HAD 2k had the license they would have sold more?? I'm willing to wager they would have.
Also if you look at the folks that were turned off by this game (APF)....what were the 2 biggest reasons??
1)No franchise and
2)NO NFL
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 PM   #58
Banned

The Winning Eleven games kill FIFA in sales all over the world......where soccor (or futbol) is popular.

Yes, i'm sure 2k would've sold more if it had had the license. But even EA execs went on record stating they were worried about APF. The reason is 2K's reputation and credibility they earned with the NFL 2K series on the last gen. That alone indicates that EA views 2k as competition and, therefore, there's motivation to try and "beat them". 2K has an installed fanbase regardless of the license. Sure, they'd have attracted some from the casual audience if they'd had the license....but not a crazy amount. Walk up to 20 random people and ask them if they know about Madden football. Then ask the same 20 if they know about 2K football. I bet nearly all of them would know about Madden where you MIGHT find 1 or 2 (if that) who know about 2K. The Madden brand has alot of history behind it.

I think if APF had a franchise mode the sales figures would've looked quite a bit different. it just goes to show that there are more regular offline gamers than regular online gamers and, license or not, if you aren't pleasing that segment of the market then you're not going to get good results at retail.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #59
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
The Winning Eleven games kill FIFA in sales all over the world......where soccor (or futbol) is popular.

I think if APF had a franchise mode the sales figures would've looked quite a bit different. it just goes to show that there are more regular offline gamers than regular online gamers and, license or not, if you aren't pleasing that segment of the market then you're not going to get good results at retail.
I don't know if the casual gamer wants a franchise mode. My nephew is a senior in college and all he wants is season mode. He said , with studying and girl chasing, he doesn't have the time for franchises.

My son is 12 and he just wants season mode as well.

I'd say the hardcore gamers want franchise mode, but that's just my opinion, not fact.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:47 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 5

I had a really good, sarcastic, and biting post all lined up for EA here, but after checking on pastapadre's website, it seems as though it's still a murky issue about the franchise freezing, nothing certain yet, and I don't feel mean enough for bitter and sarcastic yet.

Just c'mon EA. I payed $60 for a broken game. The least you can do is fix the franchise mode. It's not like we're asking for a perfect NFL game, or nitpicking about uniforms. I just...want...the game...to (!@(*#!! work.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #61
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

Quote:
Walk up to 20 random people and ask them if they know about Madden football. Then ask the same 20 if they know about 2K football. I bet nearly all of them would know about Madden where you MIGHT find 1 or 2 (if that) who know about 2K. The Madden brand has alot of history behind it.
I seriously doubt out of 20 people only 1 MAYBE 2 would know about 2k.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2007, 12:35 AM   #62
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

Quote:
But even EA execs went on record stating they were worried about APF.
Would these happen to be the same execs that stated once the deal went down,that they would also feel the competition from Halo??
Quote:
Old 10-27-2007, 01:16 AM   #63
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Does anyone know whether or not NCAA'08 will also recieve a patch that removes the "physic" DB A.I.?
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:48 AM   #64
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
Does anyone know whether or not NCAA'08 will also recieve a patch that removes the "physic" DB A.I.?
That would be nice, but I have not heard anything about that anywhere. I do think NCAA is better in that regard for some reason, although there is still a problem.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »