Home

jaggies...my set up or does it just happen?

This is a discussion on jaggies...my set up or does it just happen? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
jaggies...my set up or does it just happen?

hey guys, since i got my 360 a year ago, i have been playing on an old 32" Sharp crt tv. it looked fine, but i had never played in high def. a few weeks ago, i picked up an HP w2207 which is a 22" lcd computer monitor. I LOVE IT! now i have my 360 plugged into the monitor via an hdmi to dvi cable. the added detail is awesome...but there are also a lot of jaggies. anytime there is a cut scene, it looks unbelievable...but gameplay is fairly jaggie. the names below the players are also not so clear. is this my monitor and the fact that the aspect is 16:10 and not 16:9? i've also played around with different resolutions, but can't really tell a huge difference in the higher ones.

i just obviously want the best picture possible, but cant figure out how to do that. any ideas? or are jaggies just something i'm going to have to live with. either way, it's a lot better. thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: jaggies...my set up or does it just happen?

Your picture might be too sharp... try toning down the sharpness.... I seem to have the same problem with my DLP 1080p.... but I think sharpness is the key...
Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Pro

i'll try it when i get home tonight. thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Pro

my hp w2207 doesnt have a sharpness setting...any other ideas?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

A lot of sports games look jaggy on my 360-> Dell 24" computer LCD. I don't think there is much that can be done to help it, seems like the 360 was designed with the assumption that people would be playing on larger sets where either the size or some sort of processing (not sure about the tech here) ameliorates the jagginess.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

The processing is done on the console hardware level - anti aliasing it is called. Every 360 game was meant to be designed so 2x AA produces acceptable framerates I believe, although I wouldn't be surprised if MS have since backed off on this requirement particularly for a 3rd party developer like EA who aren't exactly known for their ultra efficient engines/code and probably 'too big' of a cash cow for MS to boss around on such a matter. I.e. it's possible instead of limiting visual appeal to enhance frame rate EA simply turned off any AA (although these days, 4x let alone 2x is pretty much 'free' performance wise on recent PC GPU's so I imagine the 360 is quite the same).
Old 12-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
Pro

sooo....just live with it? there's nothing i can do? for now at least...i hope microsoft has an update at some point soon that supports computer monitors. i've read a lot about how they never will...but it would be nice if the developers or whoever it is could do it.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 6

on your dashboard make sure you have the proper hd levelk set(720p/1080i/p)

i dont know, but maybe you over looked this part.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »