Home

Pass Defense

This is a discussion on Pass Defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13
Pass Defense

First of all I will freely admit that I suck on defense, but I am sick of every QB throwing for 300 plus yards against me every game.

I really can't run any kind of zone defense because the cpu seems to complete 100% of its' passes vs. zone coverage excepting when I manage to get a sack or the CPU QB makes the inevitable stupid throw that I pick off.

When I run man, I somewhat can defend the pass, but I still get lit up pretty good and inevitably, I will miss a tackle here and there leading to huge plays.

I'm so sick of the inevtiable 4th qtr rally where the CPU just lights me up that I can barely stand it.

I just about threw my controller through the TV screen after blowing a 35-16 lead midway through the 3rd qtr against KC. Straight down the field, 2 pt conversions, you name it.

The Raiders secondary is rated well enough that I should be able to hold other teams in check SOMETIMES.

I'm currently playing on All Pro with my def awr at 48 and knockdowns at 73. I don't want to pick off the QB 6 times a game, so I lowered my awr from default. But I also don't want to get torched constantly.

Any help would be appreciated whether it be slider adjustments, techniques, playcalling help, whatever.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Pass Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie75
When I run man, I somewhat can defend the pass, but I still get lit up pretty good and inevitably, I will miss a tackle here and there leading to huge plays.
This is realistic. Think Amani Toomer vs Dallas. 7 yard Curl.....2 missed tackles TD. Do you hit stick at all, if so try strafing up and making the stop. I only try the hitstick if other defenders are around.

Play as the safety to prevent the deep pass

Also sounds like you go for the pick too much, try batting the ball down.

Just some simple tips. I don't really have any play-calling techniques because everyone plays scheme differently.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

I actually never go for the pick, I always try to kock the ball down.

I hear you on the man D, that's the danger, my complaint is that I cannot play zone for the life of me, so I have to go man alomst all the time unless it's 3rd and long.

Even then I get torched. Prime example, I'm up by 10 pts in the 4th qtr, and I'm running Cover 2.

First play is a 30 yd strike to a wide open wr down the middle of the field. None of my players were anywhere near the WR.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

Out of curiosity, how many INTs a game is the CPU throwing with your Awr at 48?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Switch up the zones (Cover 2 isn't really ran correctly in the game - in a real cover two, the CB has the 2nd man in the flats in man 2 man coverage, and in Madden they still play that flat zone and the RB runs up the sideline WIDE OPEN). Also, flip your defensive calls according to the strength of the offense - sounds like not a big deal because if you call a cover 3 it wouldn't matter, but the alignment makes up for the weakness that would happen if you didn't switch it. For instance if offense comes out in tight right and you've got cover 3 with the SS playing deep, you'd want to flip it and make that SS play that middle hook. Gives you more coverage. Believe it or not, that extra defender in the area makes the QB hold the ball a little longer for the play to develop. I noticed that is what allowed me to get effective zone play. In fact, I rarely run man and I'm pretty solid as far as defending the pass goes. Also I control the MLB so it's not like I cone chase down the WR. I do switch when the ball is thrown to the outsides.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamonkey
Out of curiosity, how many INTs a game is the CPU throwing with your Awr at 48?
Usually between 1 and 3. But I never make any attempt to intercept a pass.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8ONe
Switch up the zones (Cover 2 isn't really ran correctly in the game - in a real cover two, the CB has the 2nd man in the flats in man 2 man coverage, and in Madden they still play that flat zone and the RB runs up the sideline WIDE OPEN). Also, flip your defensive calls according to the strength of the offense - sounds like not a big deal because if you call a cover 3 it wouldn't matter, but the alignment makes up for the weakness that would happen if you didn't switch it. For instance if offense comes out in tight right and you've got cover 3 with the SS playing deep, you'd want to flip it and make that SS play that middle hook. Gives you more coverage. Believe it or not, that extra defender in the area makes the QB hold the ball a little longer for the play to develop. I noticed that is what allowed me to get effective zone play. In fact, I rarely run man and I'm pretty solid as far as defending the pass goes. Also I control the MLB so it's not like I cone chase down the WR. I do switch when the ball is thrown to the outsides.
Thanks a lot...I will give it a try. I can see where the CPU holding the ball would allow me to make a play.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 6

Do you switch to the defender and hit swat?

I always let the CPU do it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »