Home

OS Roundtable: EAs Exclusive NFL License

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: EAs Exclusive NFL License within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #17
Thread Killer

unfriendlyghst's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: OS Roundtable: EAs Exclusive NFL License

Oh yes, I almost forgot. The fact that the major gaming sites refuse to report accurately on any given Madden game is equally as frustrating. I'm not on here to be a jerk about this but come on, how many major glitches slipped past these "industry experts"? Yet, you wont find any reporting on this. It is really sad that independent gaming sites are absolutely afraid of saying anything bad about Madden for who knows what reason?

I think this also adds fuel to the "Hate Madden Machine".When people who legitimately care about the quality of the games they are buying become marginalized, it's like they are being spit on twice. Not only did they lose $60 on a worthless piece of software (Madden 06), but they are also being called fools by the people who are supposedly giving us accurate reviews of the games we may want to buy. You wont find this kind of select game coverage on any other franchise of games, or any other game for that matter.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 AM   #18
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfriendlyghst
Oh yes, I almost forgot. The fact that the major gaming sites refuse to report accurately on any given Madden game is equally as frustrating. I'm not on here to be a jerk about this but come on, how many major glitches slipped past these "industry experts"? Yet, you wont find any reporting on this. It is really sad that independent gaming sites are absolutely afraid of saying anything bad about Madden for who knows what reason?

I think this also adds fuel to the "Hate Madden Machine".When people who legitimately care about the quality of the games they are buying become marginalized, it's like they are being spit on twice. Not only did they lose $60 on a worthless piece of software (Madden 06), but they are also being called fools by the people who are supposedly giving us accurate reviews of the games we may want to buy. You wont find this kind of select game coverage on any other franchise of games, or any other game for that matter.
Very good post.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 02-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #19
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:

agreed. i checked out metacritic.com based off of the os podcast from yesterday and I was surprised to find out what some major outlets gave madden 08 a perfect score. off the top of my head yahoo basically said madden is the greatest thing to ever happen to them basically. alot of these reviewers never had to play madden to write their reviews. if u read them its all basically the same thing. they outline the back of the box and add that their opinion of it is that its great and innovative. we rarely see anyone break down the game and give an honest opinion. I also relate this to the fact that you have ppl reviewing halo 3 and madden in the same fashion. "game looks good, wow, when I press up the person runs that way, when i press a he throws the ball. omg the qb actually has a throwing animation" and then they freak out. u mean to tell me they have this awsome gameplay previously mentioned and they have superstar mode, owner mode, and franchise? im thankful ea blessed us with this game.

thats basically it and I dont feel as though i can blame EA for the reviews they get as much as I blame companys with big reputation not giving the gameing industry the reviews it deserves.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #20
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

Brilliant post. I've been thinking the same thing for a while now. It's a shame these "experts" don't seem to want to bring up valid flaws with the game.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #21
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
I mean seriously......what has EA/Tiburon done with the Madden series that required exclusivity?
This is probably one of things that grinds my gears the most. I remember when exclusitivity was first announced, EA stated it would be a good thing because they would have access to things they never had before with NFL so the game would definitely benefit.

Based on the past 3 interations of next-gen Madden, the license was purchased only to eliminate competition. Although the NFL put the license up for sale , I bet if EA didn't pony up so much cash, the NFL would have withdrew the NFL exclusive proposal because it could have made more money by not being exclusive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
thats basically it and I dont feel as though i can blame EA for the reviews they get as much as I blame companys with big reputation not giving the gameing industry the reviews it deserves.
well if you don't believe that the sites giving madden raving reviews are doing so because they genuinely like it, then it's obviously because EA is a power in the industry. If one site steps out and gives madden a 6 or so, then EA could easily label them a rouge site trying to make a name for themselves and hold advertising and early access to all of their games.

EA makes much more than just madden, and if they get a bad review, they could easily do what Ubisoft did to sites for receiving some negative reviews about Assassins Creed.

Part of it is because madden is popular and sites can piggyback on madden hype for views, and another is that EA puts out lots of games, and pissing them off wouldn't be great for business.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #23
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

I am also disappointed with the NFL for "selling out" to one company. I really wonder if they even thought about the impact this has on the consumer. All about the money...
Old 02-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #24
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
This is probably one of things that grinds my gears the most. I remember when exclusitivity was first announced, EA stated it would be a good thing because they would have access to things they never had before with NFL so the game would definitely benefit.

Based on the past 3 interations of next-gen Madden, the license was purchased only to eliminate competition. Although the NFL put the license up for sale , I bet if EA didn't pony up so much cash, the NFL would have withdrew the NFL exclusive proposal because it could have made more money by not being exclusive.
After 2k3 EA started heavily selling the NFL on exclusivity. The NFL didnt listen until they saw their brand selling for 19.99. That gave EA bargaining power and we all know what happens next..

EA tries to spin it as is the NFL wanted this all along, they did after years of EA making them offers for exclusivity..EA Promised them so much Money and a Guarantee that their name brand would not be sold at a discount.. The NFL is very image conscious

Last edited by adriano; 02-28-2008 at 04:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »