Home

Madden 09: Make or Break Season

This is a discussion on Madden 09: Make or Break Season within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden 09: Make or Break Season

Operation Sports has posted an article written by Chris Sanner discussing how Madden can regain some momentum in lieu of last years very unsuccessful campaign by EA Sports. To read more click here.

Quote:
"Madden NFL 08 was a disaster of sorts for EA Sports. The game was shipped with bugs that rendered major portions of the game unplayable and as a result, the game sold less than the previous year's version. Metacritic average be damned, Madden 08 didn't have the fairy tale year some would have you believe."
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
Nice article. Madden 08 was the worst Madden I have played in quite some time. I wish someone could tell me why Madden 2005 is still fun, yet Madden 08 stinks.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Madden 09: Make or Break Season

How is it a make or break season with no competition? Its not like we have another choice....It will just be another year of pissed off fans complaing about whats wrong with the game but will keep buying the next version hoping for a miracle...
Old 03-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
I think the sagging sales numbers show that it is a make or break season in a couple of respects. If EA doesn't bounce the quality back up after such a big decline in sales, they won't be doing it anytime soon. I'm also sure there is a ton of internal pressure to regain the lost sales of previous years, so no matter how you slice it, I really feel that this is the big year for Madden. Either we are going to see the ship sailing in the right direction again or it's gonna fall off the edge of the earth.

Even with no competition, the sales could still go low enough that the exclusive license is no longer profitable. You got to think that if the sales slip another million or two, EA will be close to not turning a profit on the game. So again, I really feel this is a big year for the Madden series.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70
I actually liked Madden 08...shrug. I don't feel 09 is a make or break year, they just re-signed the contract, and the game still sells millions upon millions of copies every year.

We'll all be hyped into 09 after the NFL Draft in April and the game will be one of the most anticipated game on the boards from now until release, book it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

I liked Madden 08 too, but I think that's only because 07 and 06 were TERRIBLE. Tho I enjoyed Madden 08 for what it was, it's still NO WHERE NEAR where I think the series should be by now. Good article tho. Make or break year? I just don't know. Seems like Madden just gets more popular every year. If EA throws its hype machine on, you can bet the sales will be up again.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

How many years in a row is this a "Make or Break" year for Madden? Seems like we've been saying it for a few years at the least.

I enjoyed it at times last year, but overall I felt it was just another lackluster attempt. Just once in my lifetime, I'd love for Madden to rely on having to use tactics, and strategies that are at least somewhere near reality. I'd love for ratings to mean something, and I love to truly be able to tell the difference between the players different skill sets.

Maybe it's just me.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Gaming Fool.

PAPERNUT's Arena

OVR: 8
Great article. Fan boys will cringe, but it is dead on. EA is like Microsoft as the loss of money will not hurt them, but removing the game from the top as it usually is will be more than enough to hurt their pride and image.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »