Home

Adios, incredibly annoying radio guy!

This is a discussion on Adios, incredibly annoying radio guy! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #25
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Adios, incredibly annoying radio guy!

Imo the problem was never really Madden or Michaels, but how they were being directed. Years ago when Tiburon took Madden in a different direction with Madden '04 (year of jetpacking), Madden himself seemed to be the most upset with what the game had become. He was on an ESPN short and actually seemed mad that people were able to play the game the way they were. In the same vid, they had a Tiburon guy that admitted that Madden himself said he didn't like what the game had become. Which unfortunately led to Tiburon rubberbanding back the other direction and making Madden '05 over the top defensively with LBs and DBs were jumping to the moon to knock down or intercept passes.

I think Madden himself cares, or at least used to care. He's on Sunday Night Football for a reason - his voice still says "big game", much in the way hearing him and Pat Summerall back in the day meant you were getting a classic Cowboys/49ers game, or some other big NFC game. I know the guy that does NBA2K voiceover has done interviews where he says he's excited about doing the commentary for the game. The problem isn't him, but how he's being directed imo. People like to blame Madden for the commentary woes Madden has had, but it's how he's being directed imo (Michaels has sounded like he'd rather be doing anything else than commentary from the way he sounds). Is it the "radio guy's" fault the commentary sucks? It wasn't a good approach to take in the first place - I don't know of any one person that could've saved the in-game presentation in Madden with what it was.

I say all this because... regardless of the voice talent they get, if that talent is being directed the same, if the game has the same lack of attention to detail regarding presentation aspects, if they simply try to throw big names at the issue - it's still not going to be good, it'll just be different. Granted, ANYTHING is better than the barebones stuff the game has now - but we've known that since they took this approach in '06.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #26
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

As long as they don't use Mike Tirico I'm cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Imo the problem was never really Madden or Michaels, but how they were being directed. Years ago when Tiburon took Madden in a different direction with Madden '04 (year of jetpacking), Madden himself seemed to be the most upset with what the game had become. He was on an ESPN short and actually seemed mad that people were able to play the game the way they were. In the same vid, they had a Tiburon guy that admitted that Madden himself said he didn't like what the game had become. Which unfortunately led to Tiburon rubberbanding back the other direction and making Madden '05 over the top defensively with LBs and DBs were jumping to the moon to knock down or intercept passes.

I think Madden himself cares, or at least used to care. He's on Sunday Night Football for a reason - his voice still says "big game", much in the way hearing him and Pat Summerall back in the day meant you were getting a classic Cowboys/49ers game, or some other big NFC game. I know the guy that does NBA2K voiceover has done interviews where he says he's excited about doing the commentary for the game. The problem isn't him, but how he's being directed imo. People like to blame Madden for the commentary woes Madden has had, but it's how he's being directed imo (Michaels has sounded like he'd rather be doing anything else than commentary from the way he sounds). Is it the "radio guy's" fault the commentary sucks? It wasn't a good approach to take in the first place - I don't know of any one person that could've saved the in-game presentation in Madden with what it was.

I say all this because... regardless of the voice talent they get, if that talent is being directed the same, if the game has the same lack of attention to detail regarding presentation aspects, if they simply try to throw big names at the issue - it's still not going to be good, it'll just be different. Granted, ANYTHING is better than the barebones stuff the game has now - but we've known that since they took this approach in '06.
Great post.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #28
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Dang,, I liked the radio guys concept I wish they'd use each teams radio play by play guy.. Oh well two week into playing Madden I usually turn the sound down anyway.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 4

Gus Johnson and anyone else would be fine by me
Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Someone interviewed the Madden Team last year before Madden 08 came out and they said no more radio guy and presentation would be ramped up next year.

Sounds like they are keeping to their promise from last June or July.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #31
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20

Im thinking either the MNF team or maybe Mike and Mike.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
Im thinking either the MNF team or maybe Mike and Mike.
I will puke if either one of those make it to the game. If John Madden is not in it, they seriously need to change the name to something else. I say Madden and bring back Summerall. (Yes I am old school).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »