Home

Stupid Question

This is a discussion on Stupid Question within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Stupid Question

Why do people come on this forum for the sole purpose of bashing Madden? I Understand that people are dissapointed in the past few years of madden but get real, It is inevitable that this product will have a few down years. I am personally willing to overlook these past few years just because madden and Ncaa has given me so many good times over the past 15 years i have played these games.

I could not tell you a product that has been around as long as madden that has consistently been better than the year before. It doesnt happen. Its funny, judging by these forums one would think that Madden 08 was the worst game ever, it had its downfalls which we all know but it was far from unplayable.

I understand some people are just not happy unless they are not complaining about something but give it a rest, I think im speaking for alot of people when i say, i dont want to hear it. Ok now bash me because i dont have 20,000 posts i dont care.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Stupid Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Why do people come on this forum for the sole purpose of bashing Madden? I Understand that people are dissapointed in the past few years of madden but get real, It is inevitable that this product will have a few down years. I am personally willing to overlook these past few years just because madden and Ncaa has given me so many good times over the past 15 years i have played these games.

I could not tell you a product that has been around as long as madden that has consistently been better than the year before. It doesnt happen. Its funny, judging by these forums one would think that Madden 08 was the worst game ever, it had its downfalls which we all know but it was far from unplayable.

I understand some people are just not happy unless they are not complaining about something but give it a rest, I think im speaking for alot of people when i say, i dont want to hear it. Ok now bash me because i dont have 20,000 posts i dont care.
High expectations for the leader of sports gaming, nothing more or less. They haven't delivered what many have expected they would by year 3, so people are pissed. Ok lets move on.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Well, some people just bash to bash - and those posts are a waste of time to read. Frankly I wonder why people even waste their time typing them.

However many of us want Madden, and really every game, to be fantastic. I know that I'd rather not complain about anything. I think that people look back at the push a game gets and it just doesn't match the product released. They feel lied to and cheated. Last year Madden made a big push that gameplay was improved. Then you play a game with fumbles and interceptions all over the place. Sometimes you wonder how a tester could play 10 games and then say - 'yeah, this is good.'

Also many people enjoyed the last gen games, so obviously think that the move to next gen will really up the anty. Throw in that you paid $300-500 for a system and another $60 for a game that you wind up not being happy with, and often for rather simple things that you can find after playing 3 exhibition games. That really ticks people off.

Plus, where else can you complain about a stupid vieo game without people looking at you like you are a complete idiot.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I get tired of the negativity as well. I'll be the first to admit the games have been lackluster as of late. But, I'm not going to carry around this negative mantra every year. I'm not saying to jump the gun but everyone at this point is at least a little optimistic. I think people want to anticipate and get excited, but they're so afraid of disappointment that they won't allow themselves to do it.

But, don't ever mention that you're considering buying any new installment of Madden. It's almost a crime among the naysayers. Next thing you know, they'll tell you that you enjoy wasting your money and your a mindless sheep.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

The bashing Madden gets every year is warranted, in my opinion. It is the best selling sports game every year, yet it continues to be a dissapointment year after year. EA obviously has the funds to make it the best football game ever, yet they continue to give us a roster update and a tweak or two with a new year beside the title 'Madden' all for the cost of $60.
MLB: New York Yankees
CFL: BC Lions - I want my Rough Riders back!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

this thread will go downhill fast.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-12-2008, 06:11 AM   #7
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Cusefan - ups and downs are inevtiable, yes. Madden throughout its existence has always done this. But the NFL gaming scene has never been in this position before, with the market as big as it is, with only one company making a game, with said company being the largest 3rd party company in the world. Big business is always about profit, but if EA just put a bit more passion and pride into this game so it was more than just a cash cow, we'd be in a totally different situation right now. I think that's where most criticism stems from. As stated, some people just like to be difficult, but I think the vast majority of Madden critics just want a great game.

Look at LucasArts and George Lucas. They could have whored out the Star Wars brand and made a killing with a launch title, but they didn't. They've sat down and for these past few years worked hard on making a truly next generation video game experience. Now, The Force Unleashed may stink, but if it does, it certainly won't be because LucasArts and Lucas were rushing to the market for a profit. This type of attitude and passion is what made gaming so popular and it is being lost by companies like EA. I'm not necessarily saying EA should have taken a few years off and then released next gen Madden - I understand the sports genre is about branding and it's hard to maintain a brand when you take a break from releasing - but just imagine if, say, John Madden was as passionate about NFL video games as George Lucas is Star Wars etc video games and he had a games studio making an NFL game under his direction. Imagine the differences between what we'd probably have, and what we actually do have with EA. I think when you understand that you can see why some people are disappointed with Madden and EA - where's the passion and pride for this game? All I see is a EASports president who gauges how great a game Madden is off its sales.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon 2006
The bashing Madden gets every year is warranted, in my opinion. It is the best selling sports game every year, yet it continues to be a dissapointment year after year. EA obviously has the funds to make it the best football game ever, yet they continue to give us a roster update and a tweak or two with a new year beside the title 'Madden' all for the cost of $60.
No one is saying the game shouldn't be bashed, if warranted, but not before it's even released. I agree that it's gotten somewhat ridiculous around here (and other forums) about the negativity before the game comes out each year. I'm sure it will have some negatives and it will have some positives. And I'm sure that many folks will find their life isn't changed by the release of the game, much to their disappointment. But for some of us we'll probably buy it, play it and enjoy most aspects of it.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »