Home

Will we have two seperate maddens next year?

This is a discussion on Will we have two seperate maddens next year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Will we have two seperate maddens next year?

First off forgive me if this post seems like its better suited for the head coach thread and feel free to move it if need be. I thought this would be a madden based response thread.

Anyway I just finished reading the NFLHC first look article on gamespot, and they said towards the end that the NFLHC options may not really require a whole separate game and could just be a glorified mode in Madden.

Then of course there is the speculation that NFLHC will just be a pack in with the premium Madden edition driving its price up 30+ bucks, along with news that there would be some compatibility between the two games that for now stands only at created playbooks.

Personally when I heard this I quickly knew that I would be shelling 90 bucks out for the premium edition. Though I never played the first NFLHC, the new version sounds great and have always been a hardcore franchise player in madden since its inception in 99. My biggest issue with next gen madden has been its utter lack of a working franchise mode since its inception. In fact if I had the option to play the actual in game action in NFLHC i doubt I would ever even buy Madden, and I dont think im alone.

Since madden went online its popularity has skyrocketed as has the number of players. But I have never been a big fan of playing online or playing against humans in general, especially as i have gotten older and have had close friends move away, get real jobs and responsibliities that dont fit with the schedule of a hardcore gamer. I have never played an online game of madden and have played maybe 6 games against other players since i graduated from college 4 years ago. Every year when new news come out for madden it seems that its more catered toward online play and head to head options while the franchise mode has become decrepit with glitches and poor design. Every year there are mixed reviews and rants and raves between the growing divide of online gamers and franchise players. Being on the franchise side i feel like EA has abandoned it to an extent as they have yet to get a version that actually works in the last 3 years. At the same time I know there are some players, in fact a clear majority who never even touch the franchise mode and could care less about it.

My vision or maybe even hope for the future of madden is seeing them actually split their brand is some form or fashion. Having a game replete with all of the micromanagement features of NFLHC and a bare bones in game engine, and one version with all of the Online action, multi player features, minigames, madden cards and other features that a large portion of people have come to love. They could even make both 10 dollars cheaper, but to get the full experience it would cost you 100 bucks making it possibly more lucrative.

This is just a half baked rant but I know that a fleshed out idea along these lines could be great and it seems like they may be heading towards it. It would definitely fall into "developing" their exculsive branding.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Will we have two seperate maddens next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
My biggest issue with next gen madden has been its utter lack of a working franchise mode since its inception.

Thoughts?
I feel the same way, but according to the new Madden'09 blog, the Tiburon developers have "caught-up & surpassed" all of the features from last-gen.

So I'm waiting to see what the Madden'09 Franchise Mode has to offer before I form my opinion of the games direction.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 14

Feeq,

I agree 100%. I have never played online (and likely never will), and I rarely play against another human. I truly rely on having a quality "franchise mode", which has clearly been lacking over the past few years. I've never played NFL HC, but I have to admit it sounds intriguing, although I would probably miss controlling gameplay.

More than likely I will buy the package deal in 09' and if it plays as good as EA is promoting, they will once again have a long-term customer (i haven't bought Madden new since 05'). Who knows I may even be a NFL HC convert???

Let's all just hope that EA has really made the necessary improvements this coming year, because it's been a long time since the actual game came anywhere close to what they promoted!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I was reading in my latest ESPN the Mag under the gamer section that EA is offering a package deal with Madden 09 and Head Coach 09 for $89.00. I guess this is a way for EA to move Head Coach and get some sells. It is hitting the market the same day as Madden so for all those that want to throw away $20 more can get both games. I don't see the big deal with Head Coach when Madden does almost the samething, but to each his own.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »