Home

Serious Talk: Pocket passing

This is a discussion on Serious Talk: Pocket passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Serious Talk: Pocket passing

okay, I've spent about 30 minutes looking at gameplay footage of 2k8. They do have an exceptional pocket.

Obviously, I haven't played it, but it LOOKS as I predicted it would. It looks as though, the first 1.5 seconds of "drop back" is canned. The QB stops and reads his progression. Meanwhile, the OL is BUSSING THEIR ***ES to protect, and the DEs come from the sides formulating "the pocket".

I think Madden needs to swagger jack and MAKE the user set up after he drop backs, and also, they need to MAKE the user set his feet before he throws. They need to slow down the quickness of the QB's transition from scrambling to throwing unless it's on the move, and put the OL on steroids.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 05-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #34
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac
The editorializing is completely unnecessary (you'll see what I mean), but this clip gives you a very good feel for the differences in how the pocket forms and how the quarterback moves within it in 2K versus the EA model (in this case NCAA). There's really no comparison.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mxAsz_xbB0s
just a moment too late. I looked at that video too. Basically, you can tell the user has CONFIDENCE in his line, in addition to the game, not forcing, but influencing him to stay in the pocket. Also, in the videos I've seen, strong QBs have their own potential to shed sackers, which gives even more confidence to stay put.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #35
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStillDoWhatIDo
It's not as easy as you think to sit in a pocket and throw in a TIMELY fashion. QBs in real life can't even do it. Over the years, fans have just become accustomed to doing that, but I agree that it is a misrepresentation. I never got into 2k, so i'm gonna go on youtube or game trailers and look at some video. I saw someone in this post mention "autodrop" which is what I was alluding to earlier in this post with "canned animations"
You know, you're right. It's not easy to sit in the pocket and get rid of the ball in a timely fashion. However, that begs the question: should it be easy? Isn't that the beauty of the sport? Isn't it great to see QB's establish timing with a WR only to have a DB bump him off his route and throw the timing off; thus, forcing you find a different option before taking a sack? This is what NFL2K5 brought to the table.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #36
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #37
Pro

We're all goin to the same place. just taking different routes. With 2k5, I now see that it IS, in fact, possible for the USER to make decisions in the pocket. The user meaning casual gamers as well. I know that I can do it, and most skilled players, but I take the casual user into consideration since I know EA will look out for the bum.

So, thats' why I said EA should improve the OLine, redo the DEs, slow the transition of the QBs from standing to scrambling, strengthen the QBs, and they need to tone down the DBs "on my azz" AI in order for people to throw EARLY with confidence.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 5

damn you all make me want to bust out 2k8 just to enjoy the pocket
!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #39
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStillDoWhatIDo
We're all goin to the same place. just taking different routes. With 2k5, I now see that it IS, in fact, possible for the USER to make decisions in the pocket. The user meaning casual gamers as well. I know that I can do it, and most skilled players, but I take the casual user into consideration since I know EA will look out for the bum.

So, thats' why I said EA should improve the OLine, redo the DEs, slow the transition of the QBs from standing to scrambling, strengthen the QBs, and they need to tone down the DBs "on my azz" AI in order for people to throw EARLY with confidence.
Basically fix THE ten year old engine and actually have players interact with one another instead of animations in a vaccum with one player animations that look awkward.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTigLSU
Basically fix THE ten year old engine and actually have players interact with one another instead of animations in a vaccum with one player animations that look awkward.
What he said.......

Unfortunately, this will not happen this year..... and we will start getting the "maybe next year" quote from Phil Frazier and co. in about 2 months.

A so called football simulation that has NEVER had a QB pocket in it's 20 years of existance, is just ridiculous IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »