Home

Do you see Franchise Mode in Madden Becoming a Thing of the Past?

This is a discussion on Do you see Franchise Mode in Madden Becoming a Thing of the Past? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Do you see Franchise Mode in Madden Becoming a Thing of the Past?

Serious question. With the effort being put into Head Coach, does this spell the demise of franchise mode in Madden (some would argue it's already hit rock bottom)?

My thoughts are that to increase sales and make the NFL license viable, they need to get more users to buy two games instead of one. They've attempted to do this with NFL Street to no avail. Madden has turned into a game that is built more for tournament guys and casual gamers, not diehard football fans. The majority of people aren't delving deep into a franchise mode.

So EA makes Madden which has a dumbed down franchise mode for the casual gamers, as well as Head Coach with a deep franchise mode for the sim guys. There will be a big percent of the market who will be forced to buy both. They are able to make a little more per gamer ever year.

And this isn't unheard of either. EA did this with their soccer franchise when they make a seperate game for regular international soccer and another one for the World Cup. Gamers have been forced to buy two games to play the road to the cup and then the actual world cup.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Do you see Franchise Mode in Madden Becoming a Thing of the Past?

It's entirely possible. The longer EA Sports holds on to the NFL license, the more they can do whatever the hell they want with the game. They know at this point it'll sell enough no matter what they do because the NFL is just so over the top huge right now that there isn't much to stop it.

And I think it's an interesting topic because a lot of times the people who are really hardcore into the franchise-specific features (trades, free agency, stadium pricing, expansion, the draft, etc) aren't as into actually playing the game on the field, and then of course vice-versa. Look at NCAA Football last year. I thought the recruiting mode was really good, but you had a TON of complaints online that it took too long and was too involved. A lot of people just wanted to skip through it and play. And then you had the opposite where people really got into recruiting and enjoyed it because there were so many things to do.

Bottom line is if EA Sports sees an opportunity to expand NFL Head Coach because an audience demands it, they'll do it. But I'm not convinced they would ever take the franchise mode completely out of Madden. They'd make the option to still play multiple seasons, but there would just be a limited amount of things you can do. Who knows though. Like I said as long as EA Sports controls the NFL License, they can pretty much try whatever they want.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

I sure hope not, I wish they would just implement HC into Madden...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

It's called self control. If you don't like or can't afford both games then don't get them. But nobody has to buy either one let alone both.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch99
It's called self control. If you don't like or can't afford both games then don't get them. But nobody has to buy either one let alone both.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Madden/NCAA the last 4 out of 5 years, and I returned the one I did buy(08). You'll live gentlemen.

I think it's hilarious that folks feel they don't have a choice. I just hope those are kids that will grow out of it. If you like the game, that's one thing. But if you don't and keep buying it, you're part of the reason EA makes the game the way they do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears5122
And this isn't unheard of either. EA did this with their soccer franchise when they make a seperate game for regular international soccer and another one for the World Cup. Gamers have been forced to buy two games to play the road to the cup and then the actual world cup.
This only happened once though when the 360 came out with the Road to the World Cup Title that only had qualifying. Other than that particular instance, there is no link between the World Cup/Euro and regular FIFA games. I remember someone once comparing it to and NFL game releasing without the playoffs, which was way off.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Th* *c*m*n!

ronnyballgame's Arena

OVR: 14

I do agree with your assessment, and I do not believe they are getting rid of the franchise in madden, but I do agree, they are dumbing it down to make it a lot easier, for eventual online dynasty play, so anyone can basically handle a franchise and run it without thinking too hard. This is when I wished there was more than one game for the choosing, it would not allow this to happen. But I love Madden, even though last year was the first time I traded it in, since I am a franchise guy, but I think the franchise is here to stay, but it is going to be a lot easier to benefit the general public.
Florida State Seminoles

Rider Broncs- Graduated
LaSalle Explorers- Attaining Master's

Playing: FN4 UFC 2009, Tiger 10
Waiting: NCAA 2010, Madden 10, NHL 10
Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
This only happened once though when the 360 came out with the Road to the World Cup Title that only had qualifying. Other than that particular instance, there is no link between the World Cup/Euro and regular FIFA games. I remember someone once comparing it to and NFL game releasing without the playoffs, which was way off.
2002 also did this. They made a FIFA 2002 that had a Road to the World Cup mode but wouldn't let you actually play the World Cup. Then they came out with FIFA World Cup 2002. In 1998 they combined the two, and there should have been no reason why they couldn't have in this version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »