Home

What's the problem with EA?

This is a discussion on What's the problem with EA? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #33
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: What's the problem with EA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I wasn't trying to change your opinion earlier; I was questioning the whether EA should be shooting for the PS2/Xbox "glory days". The game was hugely popular, and I think Madden made big strides between 2000 and 2003. Around 2004 things began to get questionable though w/the game focusing on themes. Vick in '04, Defense in '05, etc. Each overdone to the detriment of some other game aspect. The complaints about Madden not improving fast enough now were the same complaints we had then (people kept saying EA was "waiting until next gen" to make huge improvements).

I'm not saying EA should be making Madden into some super simulation or anything like that. I just see them making the same mistakes this generation as they did last generation. I think if they focused on making a fundamentally sound game then build it out from there, instead of a flashy game with a shaky foundation, the game would be able to appeal to a wider range of gamers.
Good points. It seems to me like they're trying. Not at the pace I'd like to see them improving, but they're trying. Last year they improved the game with no clear theme, just Vince Young as cover boy. This year they went with Farve and are adding even more improvements.

I'm trying to get over the fact that EA isn't going to make the type of football game I'm looking for. Now I'm just looking to have fun and not be bored to death playing Madden.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #34
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbs
That's on the developers and their studio, which is Tiborun.
T-i-b-u-r-o-n.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears5122
EA has a history in almost every sport of making pure crap. The only game that they make which is superior is FIFA, which they needed to after taking a beating by the competition for years.
While PES has been strong competition to FIFA, it has never outsold FIFA so so I wouldn't say they've been "taking a beating for years".

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
not to ticky-tack but

MVP 05 was a top notch baseball sim
True. NHL 08 is also a stellar game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #36
Rookie

chitownballa's Arena

OVR: 2

I honestly think the biggest problem with Madden (and sports games in general) is the lack of time the producers and developers get to make the game. It's difficult to completely reinvent the previous year's game and make it feel fresh in one year. I mean, think about how long it takes to complete games nowadays. Any major game that is anywhere decent usually takes at least 3-4 years to complete, and release dates are continuously pushed back. Honestly, if EA put out a completely new game every 3 years and simply released roster updates/patches for gameplay issues every year, it would probably be a better product IMO
Old 05-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #37
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownballa
I honestly think the biggest problem with Madden (and sports games in general) is the lack of time the producers and developers get to make the game. It's difficult to completely reinvent the previous year's game and make it feel fresh in one year. I mean, think about how long it takes to complete games nowadays. Any major game that is anywhere decent usually takes at least 3-4 years to complete, and release dates are continuously pushed back. Honestly, if EA put out a completely new game every 3 years and simply released roster updates/patches for gameplay issues every year, it would probably be a better product IMO

That argument might work if we weren't dealing with EA, and they weren't the only ones making these games...

They have $$$$/resources out the ***....but they choose not to supply their devs with what they need.... in order to improve their bottom line......

thus making their Dev team "prioritize" to an unacceptable level given what the competition did year to year when they were still around.

There is just no justifiable reason(for us I don't give a crap about their bottem line and you shouldn't either), given how much coin EA has that these NG games should be this mediocre.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #38
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
That argument might work if we weren't dealing with EA, and they weren't the only ones making these games...

They have $$$$/resources out the ***....but they choose not to supply their devs with what they need.... in order to improve their bottom line......

thus making their Dev team "prioritize" to an unacceptable level given what the competition did year to year when they were still around.

There is just no justifiable reason(for us I don't give a crap about their bottem line and you shouldn't either), given how much coin EA has that these NG games should be this mediocre.
Proof? Or is this just a theory of yours?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #39
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Proof? Or is this just a theory of yours?

Dude you can dig up the disgruntled/former EA employee stories for yourself...and instead of getting them some help....what does EA do???............

Attempt a Hostile Takeover of Take-Two
Old 05-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #40
Rookie

chitownballa's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan

but if even the greatest games of our time (Grand Theft Auto 4, insert other great next gen game here) take at least 3-4 years to develop, then how can you possibly expect significant improvements in just 1 year? I mean, it's one thing if you start out with an excellent game on the particular system, but we'd all agree that Madden has not started out great on the 360/PS3. No amount of $$$ is going to make a game improve that much in just one year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »