Home

From an admitted 2k/APF guy..

This is a discussion on From an admitted 2k/APF guy.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: From an admitted 2k/APF guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
It just seems like Madden could actually be good this time around.
Ahhh...if I had a nickel...........

(P.S. yama.... you left out the part in your sig about eating others' young!)

Last edited by daflyboys; 05-16-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
I did the exact same thing, it was hard to get GTA out of my 360 but I did it.
And after seeing the Madden tackle video yesterday, reading all the comments, playing APF, then watching the Vid again............ I remain as unimpressed as I was yesterday. If you stripped down the graphics that would be madden 03 with new animations.
Same here. I threw in APF and played a few games and came away thinking that it was very likely I would still be playing it after Madden 09 and Madden 10 and Madden 11. There's nothing in the Pats/Giants video that would make me think otherwise.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
If APF had a franchise mode I would've been far happier with the game. I don't play online and so I lasted about 6 seasons in the Single Season mode and I just got bored.

I think both are good games but to me Madden/NCAA has more replay value because of the Franchise/Dynasty modes.

And I think Madden bashers tend to have an unrealistic expecation of how things work and how quickly they should work. They seem to expect the game to be as polished as a non-sports game that has a development cycle of several years even thought a Madden game has 10 (12 at most) months of dev time in between releases. Criticism is fine, but temper the expectations with at least some basis in reality.
I think the 'development time' argument rings pretty hollow when, at its core, this is the same gameplay engine theyve been using for years and years. And in those years how many man-hours have been wasted with useless/broken features that could have been better used for improving the gameplay? No, they havent just had 10 months to fix madden, theyve had 6 years. Im really start to fall under the school of thought that tiburon lacks the development 'chops' to advance this game in any way besides the superficial.
I cant even imagine where continuous development of NFL2K from 5-8 would have led us.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
(P.S. yama.... you left out the part in your sig about eating others' young!)
yeah, decided Id do without the infraction.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
I think the 'development time' argument rings pretty hollow
I do too. The Show released months late last year and on time this year, which cut into the game's dev cycle. And from what I understand it's a great game. NFL2K4 released a month late, and 2K5 released a month earlier than Madden the following year cutting it's dev time by at least two months. And they threw the kitchen sink into that game; I don't know that there has been or ever will be a sports game with a feature list 2K5 sported. I've read that all developers would love to have more time to work on games, but Tiburon shouldn't try to pin their problems on the short dev cycle. They've made some horrible choices next gen that they're still trying to undo.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 8

In fairness to EA, I'm not asking them to produce a game that makes APF irrelevant- I don't think they're likely to do so. I'll be happy if they can simply make a football game that is as fun to play as their Xbox versions were. I used to go back and forth between Madden and 2K all the time, but on the next gen I abruptly stopped. That's not me, that's the game engine.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
I think the 'development time' argument rings pretty hollow when, at its core, this is the same gameplay engine theyve been using for years and years. And in those years how many man-hours have been wasted with useless/broken features that could have been better used for improving the gameplay? No, they havent just had 10 months to fix madden, theyve had 6 years. Im really start to fall under the school of thought that tiburon lacks the development 'chops' to advance this game in any way besides the superficial.
I cant even imagine where continuous development of NFL2K from 5-8 would have led us.
Perhaps, but keep in mind that APF is a straight up port of 2K5. I spent hundreds of hours playing 2K5 (I stayed away from last gen Madden after NFL2K1 on dreamcast came out adn was 2K all the way from there to 05) and was playing like an old pro after 5 minutes of APF because it was pretty much the same exact game. And that was with 3 years in between the release of those two games. You have to hold 2K to the same bar of expectation as EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Perhaps, but keep in mind that APF is a straight up port of 2K5. I spent hundreds of hours playing 2K5 (I stayed away from last gen Madden after NFL2K1 on dreamcast came out adn was 2K all the way from there to 05) and was playing like an old pro after 5 minutes of APF because it was pretty much the same exact game. And that was with 3 years in between the release of those two games. You have to hold 2K to the same bar of expectation as EA.
Like I said; "continuous development"
I seriously doubt 2K did any kind of development in the years after EA got the NFL rights.

And I do hold EA and 2K to the same expectations; NFL2K5, and both Madden(gameplay) and APF(features) are found wanting.

Last edited by yamabushi; 05-16-2008 at 03:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »