Home

New EA Blog: Animation Parts I and II (w/ 4 videos)

This is a discussion on New EA Blog: Animation Parts I and II (w/ 4 videos) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: New EA Blog: Animation Parts I and II (w/ 4 videos)

It's impossible to deny that this game is looking better and better with each of these videos being released

BUT

I am wondering why all the normal gameplay vids over at Gamespot and IGN look so much worse than these "special cuts" we're being shown on the EA website.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2008, 04:03 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 9

Wow

Its a good thing OS doesn't drug test this board

If you guys seriously think this stuff looks realisitic (especially in the first vid), you need glasses or need to stop smoking.

Those animations with AP and the running style (the way he is swinging his arms) resembles a high school cheerleader. This looks awful.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:10 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
I am wondering why all the normal gameplay vids over at Gamespot and IGN look so much worse than these "special cuts" we're being shown on the EA website.
I noticed that too...it's also funny how long they take to pick a play on those vids.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
wow, i'm surprised because i never thought you'd find anything good about the game from your posts i've read lately
Don't be surprised. What I have been writing is str8 up true and can you disagree it needs/needed to be addressed. The vids showing the running back animation is very promising and that is what EA needed to do in order to satisfy those who are use to this type of animation/gameplay enhancements. But, a good point was brought up, I did not see any of these animations during the gameplay vids shown by IGN and GameSpot. hmmmm, now that does concern me.

Overall and as stated before, I love the presentation and graphics. The game looks awesome!!! If the animation that was presented in the vids is in the game, the Don is in the game!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 6

**SIGH** The hype machine has actually now turned those who were critical of the game before they even play it.

The running animations are weird, I don't know about you but the last time I watched an NFL game (oh, funny that I can just look at youtube) runners are not as "quick" as those in the game. The transition animations are still very awkward looking, very quick all around.

Have Tiburon decided that it is alright to make Madden 2008 look like a bad game?
Those side by side videos showing 2008 and 2009 looks like they added some post capture effects like "blurring, graining, pixellation" to the 2008 capture. How bad did that look? Trying to make the difference between them that big are we Tiburon? I have to admit, 2009 looks nice, but not night and day difference though.

Those locomotion videos are lame, just like last years ones when comparing 2007 to 2008.
The DB play is still the same, no interaction between them. "Oh but look, in 2009 the DB actually turns now and runs with the WR"....oh wow. They made 2008 Oline look bad by having that player slide left and right, yet they show the center in the 2009 video go to his left first then almost instantly "warp slides" to the right by 3 or 4 game yards.

Those who want to "Believe" now and not wait until playing the game are doing so at the risk of the possibility of being disappointed. Don't forget last year, you were probably sold on that version too (I was) and some of you came away disappointed, some were happy with average.

That is not to say that there is no chance this game will actually be great because there has to be, surely.

Until the game matches the hype they give it (see, I don't even want it to exceed the hype) my opinion will not change. Don't forget though, it is just my opinion and most don't think this way, in fact very few people do (I don't count the hardcore 2K fans).

Last edited by Sef0r; 05-23-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #30
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sef0r
**SIGH** The hype machine has actually now turned those who were critical of the game before they even play it.

The running animations are weird, I don't know about you but the last time I watched an NFL game (oh, funny that I can just look at youtube) runners are not as "quick" as those in the game. The transition animations are still very awkward looking, very quick all around.

Have Tiburon decided that it is alright to make Madden 2008 look like a bad game?
Those side by side videos showing 2008 and 2009 looks like they added some post capture effects like "blurring, graining, pixellation" to the 2008 capture. How bad did that look? Trying to make the difference between them that big are we Tiburon? I have to admit, 2009 looks nice, but not night and day difference though.

Those locomotion videos are lame, just like last years ones when comparing 2007 to 2008.
The DB play is still the same, no interaction between them. "Oh but look, in 2009 the DB actually turns now and runs with the WR"....oh wow. They made 2008 Oline look bad by having that player slide left and right, yet they show the center in the 2009 video go to his left first then almost instantly "warp slides" to the right by 3 or 4 game yards.

Those who want to "Believe" now and not wait until playing the game are doing so at the risk of the possibility of being disappointed. Don't forget last year, you were probably sold on that version too (I was) and some of you came away disappointed, some were happy with average.

That is not to say that there is no chance this game will actually be great because there has to be, surely.

Until the game matches the hype they give it (see, I don't even want it to exceed the hype) my opinion will not change. Don't forget though, it is just my opinion and most don't think this way, in fact very few people do (I don't count the hardcore 2K fans).
There is a note in the article about that:
"Note: I am sorry for the 08 stuff not being as clear as the 09, all the 08 footage I could dig up was captured by Ian Cummings on his PC a while ago, and is not progressive scan footage like the 09 is. It does show the animation just as well, but it's not intended to be a rendering comparison."
Old 05-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
There is a note in the article about that:
"Note: I am sorry for the 08 stuff not being as clear as the 09, all the 08 footage I could dig up was captured by Ian Cummings on his PC a while ago, and is not progressive scan footage like the 09 is. It does show the animation just as well, but it's not intended to be a rendering comparison."
I laughed at that and didn't think that was a serious enough explanation. I actually thought he was being funny. So he doesn't have a copy of the game to make those captures look representative of the actual game? Come on, it was a blatant attempt to try and make 2009 look light years ahead of 2008. But I guess his reasoning is enough for most people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #32
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

The more live-action videos I see, the more I am coming around to the player models and proportions. Looks like a good balance between small and large guys, as opposed to the more across the board middle ground of years past.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »