Home

Followup on the Gang Tackling Response

This is a discussion on Followup on the Gang Tackling Response within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #25
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Followup on the Gang Tackling Response

This may be hard to fix, and this may just be me personally. But, I don't like to see the people standing around looking at the guy get tackled. I would like to see the oline keep blocking and the defensive keep hitting until the whistle is blown. Don't make the game like 2k5, make the game like the NFL.

Also, more open running lanes, less congestion, Smarter lineman (they know the play, not the defensive), Less lineman getting hung-up when pulling on sweeps,
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
Someone mentioned this earlier, but can the left stick stutters actually throw the CPU defense off???

Or is that mainly for Human against Human and you'll still need to hit the juke button to really get by them??
Yes! This was a "huge little feature" for us. One of our great engineers James Sweeney basically did this on his own time because he really wanted the functionality for himself...ha ha. When you start doing the left stick stutters it can slow down an oncoming defender and put him into kind of an anticipation / break down. Then if you plant and blow out of there, there's a chance for him to fall for it and get his ankles broken.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #27
Fighting a War & Gaming

8and9's Arena

OVR: 9

Yeah I think you guys are good on the gang tackling, that shouldn't even be that big of a focus. I'd fix the o-line problems before gang tackling.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #28
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Yes! This was a "huge little feature" for us. One of our great engineers James Sweeney basically did this on his own time because he really wanted the functionality for himself...ha ha. When you start doing the left stick stutters it can slow down an oncoming defender and put him into kind of an anticipation / break down. Then if you plant and blow out of there, there's a chance for him to fall for it and get his ankles broken.
Excellent! Now, it sounds like we have more control over making the defender miss. Thank you. Ian, is this also in NCAA as well? Please say yes.

Someone said it before, I went from not buying (maybe renting), to definitely buying it and telling my friends to reconsider buying it now. Thanks for joining the OS Community Ian!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #29
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15

ahh nice....

^^Im guessing that really got you thinking about that type of system. I pride myself on running the ball, and am glad that I'll have some new tools to work my magic with

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 05-28-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #30
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm actually not that impressed by these tackles.

The RB logic is off. No RB in thier right mind is going to stop and let a defender hold them up while another guy finishes them off. Those "guy looks like he got hit by a mac truck" animations happen too often. The natural tendency for a RB is to lower there shoulder on contact and get behind their pads for the upcoming hits. APF 2K8 is pretty damn good in this regard, they're tackles look so realistic because they could actually happen in that scenario. You don't get cleaned up unless the defender has alot of momentum or it is unexpected by the ball carrier. When engaged in the tackle, ball carrier "brace" in that game for coming hits. There is none of that here.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 05-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 15

First off, I just want to thank you for taking your time and doing this for us Ian. I really think this game is coming along geat. I dont know how far along you are in the development process but I really wish you guys could make the crowd noise/interaction better.

The pre, post, and halftime show would be great but if you could just make the crowd more realistic I think that would do wonders. Is this something that could be worked on before the release of 09? Once again thanks so much for everything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Excellent! Now, it sounds like we have more control over making the defender miss. Thank you. Ian, is this also in NCAA as well? Please say yes.

Someone said it before, I went from not buying (maybe renting), to definitely buying it and telling my friends to reconsider buying it now. Thanks for joining the OS Community Ian!
No, the button-based tackle breaking is not in NCAA. We actually did this on purpose...we did a lot more stuff under the "wide open gameplay" moniker by actively using our new tackling system to create a much more robust overpursuit and underpursuit system. So you can't make guys miss with buttons in NCAA...you make them miss by making them take bad angles. So it doesn't have the same thing as Madden, but I think it's actually just as cool...just a different (more collegiate) approach.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »