Home

Assistance from the Masses

This is a discussion on Assistance from the Masses within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Assistance from the Masses

The current number one issue with Madden is the lack of Camera Views. We need more default Camera views plus a user adjustable camera view. It would also be nice to have the Superstar Camera view available in normal gameplay.

This issue should be priority #1.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey5
That's so weird... my turn ons are exactly the same as Dembroski's
O.O
Shocking!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #19
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

Oh, ok.... cool.

Last edited by cdon2k; 06-04-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 8

RATINGS
A whole new ratings system (This is probably already in there). This system would use the greats as a base. An example is Barry Sanders would have the highest agility of any great or current player. No current player can cut quite like Barry and if anyone can they are a very good player. If Barry is a 99 agility then the best in the league now is probably a low 90.

Basically the 90s should be reserved for Guaranteed Hall of famers while the 80s are probowl players. The 70s are good starters. The 60s are role players. Then 50s are journeyman or stopgap solutions while the young guys can develope into these.

This could really help gameplay so the elite play more elite than those who are suitable players.

NEW RATINGS, POSITIONS, AND DEPTH CHART SPOTS
This whole section revolves around 2 new ratings (Long Snapping and Holding). These are very important parts of the game, just ask Romo. A game can be lost on a high snap or bobbled hold which is exactly what these ratings could lead to if a player is poorly rated. As far as I know every team in the league has a long snapper and most are dedicated to that one position. Most teams also use either a Punter or a QB to Hold the snap for a kicker.

They should add Long Snapper as a new position so those dedicated guys can be in the game and then they should also add both of these positions into the depth chart (Long Snapper and Holder). These ratings could also take away some of that "guaranteed" feel on any kick in madden.

CREATE A POCKET
Make OL and DL actually interact in a pocket which would make the dropback less of a problem and scrambling QBs less of an issue and more of pure stick skill and vision.

BRING RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY BACK
It was in last gen and was implemented quite reasonably. It was a nice way to create a little more turnover in the league.

CREATE A MORE REALISTIC CAP
This could be implemented a few way and would need all of these to acheive the most realism.

80 man roster
First of all we would need an expanded roster for PreSeason and cut dates where we would have to trim down to the eventual 57 man roster from 80. This would let more low rated rookies have a chance and would also create some cap penalties.

player choices
In real life can a team really re-sign any player it's wants to? No they cannot because the player would have to want to stay with the team. I know players were given preferences like if they want to be on a good team or if they want money and in most cases those are two of the big factors when not signing with an old team to test free agency. Some players should tell you that they want to test free agency and whether they would want to re-sign later or not.

regression with progression
I know this was heavy in the works with the whole bell curve progression last year where supposedly every point of progression was a point of regression somewhere so the league as a whole stayed the same but the players that filled the parts of the bell changed. This is the right Idea but it needs to have the kinks worked out. Some players need to decline. In past games there were teams full of 99 overall after they won the superbowl and all had 99 awareness. Progression for teams who make it deep into the playoffs is a great idea and awareness should get a boost just not that much. On the same note teams that underachieved should also take a hit. Another way to do this is to punish players with nagging injuries by penalizing them physically or even mentally (for concussions).

This would force teams to cut old non productive players with big salaries to bring in fresh faces and would cause a more realistic turnover and salary cap.

add real CAP penalties
Every team in the league already has cap penalties from previous transactions. Put those in the game or atleast give us the option to add cap penalties for every team over a few years so we can simulate what has happened in the past (the people here on the message boards are great at finding this kind of info). Teams like the lions were working with a much lower number the last few years because of all the bad draft picks and other cut players that lead to huge lumps of dead money which factor into the amount of talent they could afford to have and keep.

There are my two sense for now. Once again all of us here at OS are thrilled that EA is getting this involved with us. I was ready to bypass madden 09 because of lingering problems in the previous games. Most notably the INT X2 glitch which was very frustrating for people who wanted a realistic franchise and realistic progression but this interaction has made me more of a believer than ever in you guys at madden and has made me aware that you guys care as much as the fans do and aren't just going though the motions.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #21
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
The joke was for Dave.

I'm Adam Joseph Dembroski, born at 3:49 AM in Duluth, MN, on September 20th, 1978. I went to Bradshaw Mountain HS, class of '97, I do tech support for an outsourcing firm called SEI LLC, I have 3 brothers, 3 sisters, 1 child (boy, 5) and 1 living parent, whom I have no contact with. I have dirty blonde hair and blue eyes, I smoke (Marlboro Blend No. 27) and drink (prefer Guinness, but Newcastle works in a pinch). I enjoy watching football, baseball, soccer, wrestling, 24, Deadwood, and Firefly. I'm a full fledged nerd who's into table top gaming, but thinks Larping is lame. Go figure. I like the 49ers, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Suns, Coyotes, Stars, Arsenal, Earthquakes, Celtic, Twins, and Fighting Irish. I've lived most of my life in Arizona, but now live in North Dakota, where I attended North Dakota State University, majoring in Political Science/Econ and Physical Education/Coaching at different times (hence, 5 years and no degree). I coached a youth football team for 2 years, Jr. High for 1, volunteer assistant at the HS level for 1, and spent a summer training college freshmen linebackers at the division III level. I'm currently wearing a black t-shirt with the Invader Zim character "Gir" on it, Levi silvertab blue jeans, 2 socks (one has a hole in it) and boxer-briefs. I need a hair cut and I'm missing three teeth (lower left side molars) due to a mistake by an idiot dentist. I am currently operating with a broken right pinky due to getting pretty well smashed and getting in a fight with a brick wall and losing. I'm a staunch conservative, but not a registered Republican because we don't register in my state. I'm a veteran of MaddenMania (6,882 posts) but didn't post here often because I felt the people here were arrogant and abrasive (something that's either changed in the past year or I was wrong about). I was a member of the team that developed the 2005 Madden Manifesto, as well as having worked with spin16 in planning and testing his Stat Fix and Progression fixes for Madden PC. My turn on include women, naked women, and partially naked women. My turn offs include the fact that it's been months since I've seen either of the later two.

Oh, and I'm also the guy Ian Cummings asked to collect as many ideas off the sight as I could and keep them in a database to be submitted back to him later this month. And I'm a smart ***

So... who are you?
****ing priceless...

Oh and a new rating system. Keep measurable attributes to how they are measured, ie 40 time, shuttle run , dead lift, wonderlic test, past stats (college).

Use something like this:

Code:
Analysis

Positives: Has a thick frame with good upper-body muscle tone, long arms, wide hips, thick thighs and calves...Also has room on his frame to add at least another 20 pounds of bulk without having the added weight impact his overall quickness...Shows good quickness and body control for a player of his size...Take-charge type and field leader who plays with good field awareness and is an aggressive blocker who has the knowledge to call blocking adjustments up front...Sound technically and can be a drive blocker who shows good explosion in his initial step off the snap...Keeps his balance working into the second level and has a wide leg base in his pass set...Good second-effort blocker who stays with his man throughout the whistle, but also shows the vision to locate secondary targets...Plays with a mean streak, looking to constantly finish his man off...Never takes a play off and drives through the defender with good intent and force...Easily digests a complicated playbook and makes good field adjustments to twists and games...Rarely makes a mental error and is very alert on the field...Vocal team captain who will not hesitate to take a teammate to task...Has a true passion for the game, playing with a warrior-like mentality...Hard worker who will do anything the coaches ask and is a model for good work ethic, especially in the weight room...Uses his long reach and size to neutralize edge rushers (see 2007 Michigan State, Illinois and Florida games), doing a solid job of reaching and sealing the "seven" technique...Has the ability to get under the defender's pads and dominate with his hand jolt, but does lack ideal explosion...His hand punch will consistently shock and jolt the defender...Adequate in attempts to stay on his feet moving down the line and is effective at handling the switch-off...Will jolt the defenders on contact with his hands, locking on to steer out and work his man off the line...Drive blocks with excellent leverage and is consistent at moving the pile (see 2007 Northwestern, Eastern Michigan, Purdue and Florida games)...When he stays square in his base, he shows the footwork to get in front on traps and pulls...Very good with his reach-and-scoop skills, when he sinks his weight and stays low in his pads (better at gaining advantage and sealing off when getting movement on double teams)...Can locate and land in short space but isn't as effective on the long pull...Lacks timed speed, but is efficient at locating linebackers when asked to work into the second level...Very quick to set and recoil with his hands, showing good knee bend setting up in pass protection...Has no problems handling movement and is quick to react to stunts and blitzes...Does a good job of staying on his feet working in-line, where he can wall off and position with ease...Gets good movement in his drive blocks and, while he is a little tight in his hips, he works hard to take good angles and recover in his pass set...Can run his feet, stay up and sustain his blocks, showing aggression throughout his play...Works to finish and is patient on the pull, breaking down and staying under control at the second level...Can sink his hips and redirect, coming off the double team with good balance and anchor...Uses his hands like weapons in attempts to pick up stunts and can also catch the defender with his big mitts...Sees threats quickly and stays square in his base to absorb the edge rusher.

Negatives: A little tight in his hips, lacking ideal lateral agility in his kick-slide and can struggle when having to immediately change direction (will take false steps)...Has a strong hand punch, but tends to get them outside his frame, causing him to whiff a lot on a quick pass set (inconsistent placement)...Best operating in a short area, as he does show some balance issues when asked to run long distances...Needs to show better explosion off the snap when engaging defenders, but does compensate with a strong hand punch...When he gets too high in his stance, his base narrows and he will revert to over-extending in attempts to position and sustain...Must unlock his hips and explode more often into the defender, as he prefers to use his size to engulf or hands to sustain rather than blow up the defender (better earlier in games)...More effective working on an island with an edge rusher, as his lack of ideal hip swerve will see him allow inside penetration.

Compares To: JAMAAL BROWN-New Orleans...Like Brown, Long is a mauler with excellent drive-blocking skills. He compensates for a lack of explosion by taking good angles to adjust to movement and has the big hands and upper-body strength to consistently walk his man off the line. He shows the kick-step to mirror edge rushers, but does allow some inside penetration with his sluggish hip swerve working in-line. In a game plan that features physical drive blocking, Long is a perfect fit. But, if you put him in a zone-blocking formation, he lacks the lateral agility needed to mirror inside movement.

Injury Report

2005: Missed the team's first seven games of the season and was hampered later in the year by foot and ankle problems...Was slow to recover from spring shoulder surgery.
Have a scouting and PD department to scout and evaluate rookies. The better that department, the more accurate your assessment would be.

Last edited by Matt Diesel; 06-04-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #22
Rookie

AftershockFx's Arena

OVR: 6

Just out of curiosity will there be any other type of weather for online play besides perfect ? Playing games online in perfect weather online for 5 years gets boring kind of fast .....
Old 06-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5

Field goals have been way to easy in Madden regardless of the difficulty level. This creates a real imbalance in the game. All one needs to do is get to the 32 yard line to be assured of some points. I, and I'm sure many others, would be very happy if this was addressed.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »