Home

EA why cant you fix the QB throwing animation?

This is a discussion on EA why cant you fix the QB throwing animation? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 52
Re: EA why cant you fix the QB throwing animation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
You guys used to have Andre Ware doing mo-cap back in the '90s, when did EA stop using pros?
Mocap is strenuous so the NFL guys really don't do it anymore - I don't blame them - I'd hate to be responsible for getting a guy hurt for a video game.

We did use Freddie Mitchell for celebrations though. He went to high school with one of the designers here, so we have a direct line with him.

Our current QB is a mix of two guys - one guy from CFL who does a lot of the rollout animations and has almost a 3/4 release - and the main guy with the leg kick is a guy that works for EA and does playbooks and gameplay design stuff - Larry Richart. He was a QB for the Gators back in 94-98. His style is a bit different from what you see normally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
What are the chances of getting a few top flight QB's to redo throwing animations, QB footwork movements, and mannerisms?
We are definitely looking into this. And like you say, it's not just throwing animations it's footwork and stances and everything else. I like 2k's animations, at least how they just look so relaxed. Stand in there like big statues and wing it effortlessly.

Oh well, I was hoping you guys wouldn't help out the OP. I just wanted to find out exactly what made him create this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
We did use Freddie Mitchell for celebrations though. He went to high school with one of the designers here, so we have a direct line with him.
If Freddie did the celebrations this year, they must be good.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Oh well, I was hoping you guys wouldn't help out the OP. I just wanted to find out exactly what made him create this thread.
I guess he said something ''constructive'' after all. Some people just like to turn a blind eye.

And since it's usually your call to fix something - How's that CPU AI coming along? You never did respond to my PM. Does the CPU still have a turnover fixation?

Last edited by Anti Honor; 06-14-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #28
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Trouble with QB animations is just because someone has good form, that doesn't make 'em right for it. I have almost perfect form, because I've studied the position all my life, even since I stopped playing it, but I don't have the flexibility, so it wouldn't look right... my arm doesn't have that stretch as I'm driving my shoulder forward.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Honor
I guess he said something ''constructive'' after all. Some people just like to turn a blind eye.

And since it's usually your call to fix something - How's that CPU AI coming along? You never did respond to my PM. Does the CPU still have a turnover fixation?
Last week 4 different gameplay designers and engineers played the CPU on All-Madden and only one of them actually won (and it was on a last second field goal). Each game had no more than 1-2 turnovers by the CPU. I think it's much much much better this year. However, it's tough to say - that sample set is kind of small. I think we'll have to see once everyone is playing the hell out of the CPU.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #30
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart2180
K-Gun yep they added that animation on the deep ball. There is a video at ign.com with the bronco's and on a deep pass Cutler arm goes way back to throw the deep ball.

good find dude

thanks
Old 06-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #31
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart2180
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14229536/madden-nfl-09/videos/maddenmom_053008_3.html

The td pass is the one K-Gun is looking for. You can really see Culter is winding up to do deep.

bingo

thanks.....again
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #32
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
There are over 80 pass animations in 09. Can you tell me which one(s) are game killers to you? That is, just point me towards a movie you've seen for 09 and I'll see what I can do.

Secondly, there's really no such thing as "EA refusing to fix it". In fact, there is no global conglomerate "EA", it's just a relatively small team of passionate designers, artists, and programmers. It's usually ultimately my call on whether we fix something or not, so I doubt you'd hear me saying I "refuse" to fix an issue if in fact it's a valid one. You may hear me say that we didn't have time to fix it...but again I don't think we'd refuse to fix anything unless we just didn't agree with you at all.
The qb animations have been bad compared to 2k's and I have often wondered myself why EA never fixed this. Just look at 2k8 and all of the big name qb's and it's obvious that they captured their throwing styles PERFECTLY. I think the OP has a good point but maybe said it the wrong way.

If the "small team" of designers, artists, and programmers are passionate like you say then why has it taken so long to fix the the qb throwing animations. I'm not trying to bash but you have been using 2k's football games for ideas to improve madden so obviously they were doing something right. It just doesn't make sense that a game made 3 years ago on a last gen system (2k5) and a game made without the benefit of an NFL license and a small budget (2k8) could be so far ahead of the only football game in town when it comes to player interaction and game play, although this year madden seems to be making great strides. I'm glad your here to get input from people so that madden can become a better game. Just curious about how passionate ea has been about madden up until now.

Last edited by Eddie1967; 06-14-2008 at 08:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »