Home

free agency

This is a discussion on free agency within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 11
free agency

its currently impossible to make much of a splash in free agency for 2 reasons:

1) there is no easy way of seeing a list of potential upcoming free agents.
2) there just arent that many big name free agents

they definitely need to add the ability to see a list of potential upcoming free agents like in hc09. Sure, you can slime through each teams roster and look at all the players who have 1 yr left on thier contract, but thats cumbersome, and a lot of people dont have time to do that kind of searching.

clinton portis was the only real "impact" player to be a free agent in the past offseason for me. has anyone else not seen many big name free agents in thier offline franchises, or is it just me? these two things make it virtually impossible to do much of anything in free agency except sign for depth. in reality, thats what most teams do anyway, and what i would do most years as well. but it would just be nice to have the option of going after a big name. i think there were a good amount of big name free agents in hc09...anyone agree?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: free agency

In future years there are some decent ones but never alot of them. That's the problem with having a resigning period. They should do it like HC did and make you and the CPU have to resign the players during the season or else they're gone.

At this point, you really have to just build through the draft (which is the right way to go IRL) or find some decent players that fit your style but aren't necessarily highly rated.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2

There's a lot of stuff from HC that needs to be in M10.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Rookie

murdamann10's Arena

OVR: 6

It's the exact opposite on ps2 madden this year. The first few years there weren't that many "big" players out there, but around my 5th or 6th year, I saw names like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, and alot of other players that you would consider "franchise" players out there.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

There are not usually very many big name free agents in the NFL in real life. Normally 1 or 2 big names per year make it to free agency and normally they are older players. The only big time name this year that is still in his prime was Haynesworth. T.O. and Housh are both aging wide outs beyond their prime. I really don't see to much of a problem with free agency in M10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

i dont think there is a need for a list of upcoming free agents. first off, players may always be resigned by there team. if you want to see POSSIBLE upcoming free agents, sort each teams roster by number of years left on their contract. Secondly, there are very rarely franchise players available in free agency. haynesworth was the only one in the past 3 years. nate clements has turn out to be mediocre in san fran. most of the time those big time names are resigned. the nfl is really about building through the draft. from time to time you have the opportunity to get a steve hutchinson or haynesworth. most of the time, the available players are guys that simply add depth to a roster, or upgrade a very weak position on your roster. my example of this would be bernard berrian on the vikings or bodden/spring for new england.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

OVR: 7

Yea the free agency is great this year in my opinion. In years past, there would be a lot of big named guys after the first few years and they were really easy to sign.

This year however, it's a lot different. There aren't many big named guys and they are hard to sign because they demand so much money.

Makes it true to real life though. Solid teams build through the draft while teams like the Redskins try to build through the free agency with very little success.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »