Home

Quarterback to receiver chemistry and go to guys.

This is a discussion on Quarterback to receiver chemistry and go to guys. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Quarterback to receiver chemistry and go to guys.

As many of you know, quarterbacks development chemistry with their receivers and other ball carriers. A talented player from another team and/or rookie may come in and may not have a great impact until the quarterback and receiver develop chemistry.

In madden, it seems everything is based on skill ratings, you can sign a top rookie and or top free agent that has the same ratings as a veteran receiver you have played with for 5 years and there is no difference.

The first pass of the season to this guy is no different than a pass 3 years later. What I'm trying to say is that there should be some sort of chemistry rating instead of a completion being based strictly on the passer rating and the catch rating of the receiver.

Anyone that has watched the great NFL quarterback/receiver tandems would know that is unrealistic.

Another aspect would be a A.I. Controlled QB's chemistry and confidence to certain players.

We all know good quarterbacks go through progressions to find the best option. But many times the best option may not always as simple.

In critical situations, in the NFL, the quarterback may not throw to the wide open fullback down field, but instead, throw to the wide receiver that he has built chemistry with and has confidence that he will make a play on the ball.

Favre to driver, Montana to rice, and others, we have all seen it. A quarterbacks choice and the connection from Quarterback to wide-receiver is not as simple as their talent and it always shouldn't be that way in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Quarterback to receiver chemistry and go to guys.

I also though of how this could be used in the opposite way. Sometimes talented players come on a team and they just don't fit in or are a cancer in the locker room. This could be another aspect that would make franchise more exciting. That same player might fit in better on another team, or maybe no team at all.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
The first pass of the season to this guy is no different than a pass 3 years later. What I'm trying to say is that there should be some sort of chemistry rating instead of a completion being based strictly on the passer rating and the catch rating of the receiver.
Thats a great idea but how do you get that into a video game. It sounds easy enough in theory (as does all ideas) but how will it work in C++ and in the engine?

Chemistry, Heart, Passion, and those intangible attributes are extremely hard to replicate in a video game how would you do it?

Last edited by Russell_SCEA; 07-07-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
All Star

OVR: 33

Ratings boosts when certain QB throws to his WR?

Better performance/ratings boosts in the clutch??

The sguiggly line effect in ncaa due to home field advantage nullified due to high chemistry between players?

Correct routes run all the time??
Old 07-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell05
Thats a great idea but how do you get that into a video game. It sounds easy enough in theory (as does all ideas) but how will it work in C++ and in the engine?

Chemistry, Heart, Passion, and those intangible attributes are extremely hard to replicate in a video game how would you do it?
It's very simple to implement. Any player on a new team should take a large ratings hit. After a few games or a season, he should eventually play to his potential but this should take time. I have always hated how you could add a new player to a team and he plays like he's been there for 10 years.

Winning Eleven has a rating for this called 'teamwork'. New players take a huge hit to this rating when they join a new team. The result is they don't play well with their new teammates for the first few games and/or season. Eventually this rating creeps back up to a respectable level but it takes time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
MVP

Many aspects of real life can be simulated to some level by some sort of mathmatical equation. I'm sure some sort of formula could be used to simulate chemistry.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

What about receivers and quarterbacks that develop an immediate chemistry? Brady and Moss, for example. Arguably the best single-season QB-WR duo in history, definitely the best in their first year ever. How would a system like the one you're proposing allow for this?

Your idea is a good one. Number of years that players have played together should impact this (Manning to Harrison comes to mind), as well as success together. So maybe there could be a chemistry measurement as well as a confidence measurement... chemistry is difficult to change while confidence is easy to change. For example - the chemistry between McNabb and Owens was terrible, but McNabb was obviously confident that T.O. would make the big play because he's obviously talented.

I guess what we need is some kind of a 'temperament' stat, where someone can be 'egotistical', 'team player', 'leader', 'emotional', etc. Certain temperaments would form good chemistry with other types. Coaches could also have this kind of attribute - a players coach may get along better with a no-nonsense, fit-in or get-out type of coach. This may allow the kind of chemistry you're talking about.

It might be years before we see something like this. But it should be implemented. After all, if it's in the game, isn't it supposed to be in the game? Sigh.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25

If we're gonna be doing all this stuff to the darn ratings why even have them? I mean really? If every feature effects the ratings how will we know what I guys real ratings are???

At some point we have to stop, thats all I'm saying. Has to be another way to make the game deeper without touching the ratings system. It's starting to get muddy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »