Home

Setting Food Prices, Tickets etc..

This is a discussion on Setting Food Prices, Tickets etc.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Setting Food Prices, Tickets etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysworld26
I thought it was pretty cool, because I liked earning money to upgrade my stadium. Its a cool idea, because you can see how a team makes money to pay big name players. Like in real life they talk about the top selling merchandise.
basically why i liked it. other than that, could careless about it
Old 07-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

I liked it when we could use the additional money to upgrade our stadium and help pay for our team expenses. It needed some additional work such as an impact of taking the team bus versus flying. I used the pricing daily and it was fun trying to get fans out to your games. Hopefully, we will see this feature back with more of an economical impact and the ability to actually see more or less fans in the stands.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14

I loved how Owner Mode was set up on legacy gen. Missing the aspects to control food and ticket prices is one of the things amongst others that is missing from franchise mode right now for.

In order to bring it back though, you'll want to make it into something that can be enjoyable more then just a couple times.

I kinda like what MVP '05 did with allowing you to purchase the type of merchandise and food (I think) amongst other stuff (kinda like the upgrades) that you want to sell or offer to your fans. It's made owner mode more interactive and put you more in control of how you want to control things.

I would really dig it if at least controlling your revenue options returned for 2010.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is that Owner Mode in the past seemed to forget though that come playoff time, ticket prices are suppose to be higher then regular season games.

Last edited by Joborule; 07-23-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Owner mode needs to be implemented differently.

My suggestion would be to scrap "owner mode" and create "General Manager mode".

Owner mode places you in the owner's seat, but gives you no profit motive. As a gamer, there's nothing to make you want to owner a bigger house, nicer car, or, most importantly, pass generational wealth onto your children. Thus, every incoming cent can be put right back into the team, which only leaves a challenge when the amount of income is artificially lowered below what NFL teams really make.

A general manager mode, on the other hand, would have an owner in charge to setting a budget, thus creating that challenge because the CPU owner has the profit motive built in.

As far as dealing with prices, a few changes I'd want to see--

* NFL teams don't set hot dog prices. Vendors do. A general manager should lease vendor space to outside organizations to take advantage of. Thus, the price we set would be the vendor lease price. We'd never touch the price of a hot dog.

* Ticket prices cannot be adjusted throughout the season. Most NFL teams have sold the majority of their tickets before the season starts. How you gonna call some guy up who has season tickets and say "Hey, we're gonna need an extra 50 bucks for you to come to the game this week".

* Most money distribution should be in departmental budgets. I take the overall budget assigned to me by the owner and spread it between general administration (probably a flat, unchangeable cost), stadium maintenance (keeps the stadium in shape longer), P.R. (keeps the fans interested), Advertising (brings new fans into the stadium), College Player Personnel (improves draft scouting), Pro Player Personnel (Improves ability to negotiate with free agents and other teams), coaching staff, and team payroll.

Anyways, much more realistic and pretty much makes owner mode an annual thing rather than weekly, making it much less intrusive and tedious.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
EA Game Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Owner mode needs to be implemented differently.

My suggestion would be to scrap "owner mode" and create "General Manager mode".

Owner mode places you in the owner's seat, but gives you no profit motive. As a gamer, there's nothing to make you want to owner a bigger house, nicer car, or, most importantly, pass generational wealth onto your children. Thus, every incoming cent can be put right back into the team, which only leaves a challenge when the amount of income is artificially lowered below what NFL teams really make.

A general manager mode, on the other hand, would have an owner in charge to setting a budget, thus creating that challenge because the CPU owner has the profit motive built in.

As far as dealing with prices, a few changes I'd want to see--

* NFL teams don't set hot dog prices. Vendors do. A general manager should lease vendor space to outside organizations to take advantage of. Thus, the price we set would be the vendor lease price. We'd never touch the price of a hot dog.

* Ticket prices cannot be adjusted throughout the season. Most NFL teams have sold the majority of their tickets before the season starts. How you gonna call some guy up who has season tickets and say "Hey, we're gonna need an extra 50 bucks for you to come to the game this week".

* Most money distribution should be in departmental budgets. I take the overall budget assigned to me by the owner and spread it between general administration (probably a flat, unchangeable cost), stadium maintenance (keeps the stadium in shape longer), P.R. (keeps the fans interested), Advertising (brings new fans into the stadium), College Player Personnel (improves draft scouting), Pro Player Personnel (Improves ability to negotiate with free agents and other teams), coaching staff, and team payroll.

Anyways, much more realistic and pretty much makes owner mode an annual thing rather than weekly, making it much less intrusive and tedious.
I like that idea as well. Makes a lot of sense.

Just as long as I can control to move to a new city or build a new stadium (speaking of which, I'm not too impressed with either )
Old 07-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
Banned

I can't say I miss it at all (concession/ticket price setting). While I did mess with it to maintain optimum profit levels, I found it very tedious. What I have ALWAYS wished we could have is the ability to alter or build a new stadium right from the get go.

I absolutely HATE dome games/teams in football (belongs in Arena league imo), so to enhance my gaming pleasure and open up more teams for me (I won't control a dome team), I would love to be able to take a team like the Vikings and build an outdoor stadium for them, and start a new era (like the old Bud Grant years). I don't want to go thru a season under the dome first and deal with city approval, etc ... I just want to make them an outdoor team like they should be.

Even if this isn't "in the game" I bet you would find a lot of other gamers would also enjoy a more flexible "stadium building" option.

Thanks for listening!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I rarely used it. No offense, but it was pointless to define all these prices really, because even though I have strived for realism in my franchises to the point I quite regularly pick in the top 10 within the first 10 offseasons (I like choosing poor teams to build up, so I wasn't selling out every home game or anything), I don't think I ever had any money issues whatsoever ever since Owner mode has been around. So there was no need to spend 5 minutes generating a few extra million by finding the right point for my merchandise prices because I was already so far in the green, team revenue became quickly irrelevant.

IMO, instead of reintroducing this, I would prefer to see EA spend time enhancing other franchise features, like CPU roster management AI, realistic salary cap concerns, future pick trading, more advanced contracts with conditions, incentives, option years etc. Most importantly IMO, I would love to see EA take the Madden IQ concept, and apply it to franchise so teams have a 'cycle' effect, i.e., they don't spend the entire franchise on top. This is a slight exaggeration, but it seems once generated players dominate rosters in Madden, there is no true consistency with team results, whether great teams having a few seasons at the top or sucky teams rebuilding for a few years. I find it usually gets to the point where the vast majority of CPU teams could go anywhere from 4-12 to 12-4 in any given year, not to mention your own team usually gets to the top and stays there until you tire of the franchise, even with your own house rules involving the salary cap etc.

Basically, it would be sweet to have a Madden franchise that, right out of the box, effectively emulates a full 30 years. I don't imagine it would be easy to acheive as it involves everything from CPU roster AI to attributes making more of an influence in-game, but it would be incredible to have a franchise mode like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 13

If you can mirror how they do it in MLB The Show, I am all for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »