Home

Question for Ian: End of Game A.I.

This is a discussion on Question for Ian: End of Game A.I. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 11
Question for Ian: End of Game A.I.

Ian,
Bill Abner has been posting his impressions of the game on his blog. In two end-of-game situations, he noted this:
1. Pittsburgh (CPU) vs. Cleveland (Bill). Pittsburgh is ahead 17-14 and has second down with 1:21 to go. Cleveland is out of timeouts. Pittsburgh takes a knee on second down, but on third down (less than a minute to go, and they can run the clock out to win the game), they pass.
2. Pittsburgh (CPU) vs. Cleveland (CPU). Cleveland scores with :25 left in the game to close within 20-13. On the kickoff, they kick deep.

These are both basic situations, but the A.I. seems unable to deal with them. Are these considered errors (and possibly, bugs), or is the end-of-game A.I. working as programmed? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Question for Ian: End of Game A.I.

The computer doesn't play to be competitive, it plays to have fun.

Competition and playing to win are traits found in animals not computers. Computers have evolved and now realize the violence that comes from competition. I am shocked to see that the Madden AI has become enlightened over the years. Brilliant! Possibly it's learned from its master, EA Sports.

Last edited by Mossfan8480; 08-01-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossfan8480
The computer doesn't play to be competitive, it plays to have fun.

Competition and playing to win are traits found in animals not computers. Computers have evolved and now realize the violence that comes from competition. I am shocked to see that the Madden AI has become enlightened over the years. Brilliant! Possibly it's learned from its master, EA Sports.
This sounds like the beginning voiceover of terminator 4 or something. good stuff.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Far from perfect

The Bimmer's Arena

OVR: 16

This is real simple stuff, if the CPU dosent play for real and run out the clock YOU simply KNEEL DOWN on the ball if you stop them. End of the story. It would be nice if the CPU A.I. would just do it(run out the clock), but oh well maybe next year. This is a simple fix. If you honestly lost, then give up when they turn it over.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bimmer
This is real simple stuff, if the CPU dosent play for real and run out the clock YOU simply KNEEL DOWN on the ball if you stop them. End of the story. It would be nice if the CPU A.I. would just do it(run out the clock), but oh well maybe next year. This is a simple fix. If you honestly lost, then give up when they turn it over.

Please, sir, tell us how we solve this problem as well:

2. Pittsburgh (CPU) vs. Cleveland (CPU). Cleveland scores with :25 left in the game to close within 20-13. On the kickoff, they kick deep.

Might you suggest we punt the ball back to them?

But then, how do we know if they would have recovered the onside kick? Now we're just playing God, and that is for those who wish to play Spore. We are trying to play Madden Football and there is no god in Madden Football.

Last edited by Mossfan8480; 08-01-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Far from perfect

The Bimmer's Arena

OVR: 16

I hear ya, but then again that looks like the only way to solve the problem for now. When this situation occurs we could look at it as a way to see if we can stop there offense one more time. I know this takes away from the game I understand that.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

I'm surprised moreso because the late game AI wasn't this bad in year's past. Heck, I can go all the way back to the 90's and they knew when to kick it onside. I don't understand how the CPU logic can get worse from year to year, you would think it would only get smarter.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 6

I thought I read somewhere were Ian has said that the game isn't perfect and there's some things that he would've liked to have improved that didn't get done. I'm not him but that sounds like a solid answer to me? Better answer would be play the game first to see how often this happens. I do remember questioning Weis a couple of times when when Brady was passing and not running with late game leads. The no onside kick thing is fluky but again I'd prefer to play the game before rolling a designer onto the carpet. One thing alot of people forget is the reason why the AI will never completely call a game the same way a coach will is because of the "a" in the ai.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »