Home

Bring back the cone! on NextGen

This is a discussion on Bring back the cone! on NextGen within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Bring back the cone! on NextGen

The cone sucked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 6

the cone forced people to make reads, not chuck and pray

bring it back but without the flashlight

make the qb face their throwing target

i never see brady, peyton, eli make a throw without squaring up their shoulders to the target
Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet6683
The cone was to simulate field vision, not accuracy. The size was based off of awareness. More aware, see more of the field. It's the vision cone, not the accuracy cone.

I myself didnt mind it. It gave a good way to simulate awareness for user qbs. But if you threw it to someone outside of the cone, the throw was still far too accurate.

The thing i didnt like was the fact that all it did was change passing to 2 buttons. rather than hit the B receiver, i'd just hold the R trigger and tap b, then press it again to throw.

To simplify it i think they should just go with 3 sections of the field, and based off of awareness they can see 1 2 or 3 at a time. I think that makes it better than double pressing to throw, and at the same time it makes turning the vision much easier. It was hard to get it right on a receiver when manually turning it with the r stick in the past. turn off the icons that are not in the qbs vision so you cant even throw to them without looking. randomize the icons that come into the vision when it moves. And with the icons disappearing when not in the vision, it eliminates the need to show the actual cone on the field, which i thought was kinda annoying.

Or another idea, use trigger passing like fever. press and hold the receiver button to look at him, push the trigger to throw. Less aware qbs take a little longer to 'find' their receiver when you press the button.

And either way, give the on and off option to those who don't like it.
the problem is the cone represented peripheral vision more than field vision. field vision is the ability to read the defense not the quality of your eyesight. the cone does nothing in helping you read the defense.

there are ways to represent field vision and factor in awareness, and many of those ideas have come from OS members( i have a good one myself). EA should do some more research.

you're right though nfl fever had the best ideas with read & lead and trigger passing. if EA adopts those they would be in good shape.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #44
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

I don't use it because I just couldn't get good at it, but leaving it as an option that can be turned on or off would have been a good thing.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #45
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRSD
the cone was great!!

no running the qb out of the pocket right after the snap to the sidelines.

you had to go thru your reads

peyton/brady cones were weak as they could just "start in the middle" and never have to move them

maybe elinimate the vison and have the qb turn his shoulders to face the correct shoulder.

the cone was easy to use(reg xbox) hold R trigger, then while holding click receiver to look at him.
wanna pass to a, push R trigger then A. lookint at wr a, but wanna pass to wr B.....while holding R trigger push b twice(1st time to look at him, then 2nd to pass)
you could actually look off safeties thus cover 3 wasnt so effective.

bring it back, but mod it ian.
and DO NOT make it optional.

i like my shoulder turning theory instead of the flashlight, that alone would stop the whole field being in play after you cut it in half by running to one side or by staring down/looking at one one side of the field. force the shopulders to aim at the target ala a real qb
no cone, yet the same feature
LOL, Can you imagine the OUTCRY here if it wasn't optional!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #46
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

loved the cone
Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #47
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I'm in the group of people who liked the realism of the cone, but couldn't stomach the way it was implemented. But w/ the negative backlash of the vision cone, I'm not so sure if Ian & Co. are willing to take any more risks with the passing game. We may be stuck with one button passing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQman2121
My suggestion is to have the cone, but make it invisible. Here me out here......

Passing plays are already designed to have a go-to guy (highlighted in orange) who the play is designed for, and who you can change at the line by pressing R2/RT and the button. That highlighted player should be the first player the QB looks at and has his arm ready to release the ball too. What they could implement is a system where you have to double tap the button if you want to pass to a different receiver. Meaning the first tap changes the QB's vision and the second throws the ball.
I like the basics of this idea and I too came w/ a similar suggestion quite some time ago.

Then I ran into NFL Fever 2004 for the first time about 2 months back and experimented with the "Trigger Passing." With some polish, this could be great for the passing game in Madden. Basically it worked in the same form as your above idea. But instead of having to double tap the button icon to pass the ball, you used the right trigger. You used the button icons to focus on a specific receiver (QB Vision aspect of the idea) & then used the pressure sensitive right trigger to make the pass.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 3

The cone was dreadful.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »