Home

QB AWR: A very simple solution

This is a discussion on QB AWR: A very simple solution within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
QB AWR: A very simple solution

This is perhaps the simplest of solutions, and maybe people wont like it much because it takes a bit of meta-game thinking to make it work, but it's the best solution I can come up with that doesn't negatively affect the sim or casual player.

The vision cone had two distinct affects. First, the effectiveness of the quarterback. With a guy like Brady, you barely had to use it, but for Alex Smith, you need to lock on to the guy you're throwing too. Second, the defense would read the QBs "eyes" and cheat toward his target. When the ball was thrown, they'd break on that receiver. If you threw outside your cone, you'd be throwing, generally, to a fairly open man, but the throw would be bad.

We can't replicate that exactly without a mechanic similar to the vision cone or restricting a player to an undesirable degree. So we need something that's more "under the hood" so to speak.

A very simple solution would be to have the defender's reaction time dependent on the awareness of the QB.

Right now, there is a "baseline" reaction time that I believe is affected slightly by the awareness of the defender. You could make that opposed by the awareness of the quarterback.

Thus, a CB with 99 AWR (or whatever replacement rating is used) against a QB with 60 AWR would break on the ball almost as soon as the QB stepped into his throw, while a CB with a 60 AWR against a QB with a 99 AWR wouldn't react until the ball was released.

This would simulate the QBs ability to "look off" receivers, as the vision cone did, without adding a mechanic that makes it more difficult to play the position.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6
Re: QB AWR: A very simple solution

i was thinking, too! weird.

something that might be even easier would be to make the directional passing more sensitive.

Holding the stick all the way to the edge would under/overthrow the ball. And you would *have* to use the directional passing unless the receiver wasn't moving. or if the receiver isn't moving then just touching it a hair to the desired direction would put the ball in a catchable spot but too much would send the ball sailing past uncatchable.

QB AWR would simply make the directional passing more or less sensitive.

Cuz right now you can directional pass anywhere and the WR will warp around to catch the ball. i don't know. it all just seems really goofy. Too much of the passing game is based on statistics and numbers rather than actual physics like where the ball is in the air.

i don't know - coupled with your idea i think it would tighten up the passing game all around, imo.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

That's a good idea.

I just want to note that the vision cone did allow the defender to "read" the QB's eyes, but that's how it is in real life. that's why with the cone, I used to look off defenders.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 08-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6

i liked the idea of the cone and i worked my arse off trying to play fluidly as the QB with the cone on but i just couldn't do that, see the rush, see the open receiver, pass the ball to the correct receiver ....

was just too much for me. i can however tweak my stick (...) in the direction i want to throw. but if i go too far it should be overthrown. Right now I can directional pass and the receiver does a weird warping animation to catch a ball too far in front of him. i'd love to see that ball sail past and simply land in the turf.

like i said it seems like the chances of you catching the ball aren't determined by where the ball is but some formula. I mean it's a computer game so I get that yeah, of course it's going to be some algorithm ultimately deciding whether or not the ball is catchable ... just tighten up the algorithm and trick me. i'm easily fooled.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleLikeAStizzle
i was thinking, too! weird.
Hurts, don't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleLikeAStizzle
something that might be even easier would be to make the directional passing more sensitive.

Holding the stick all the way to the edge would under/overthrow the ball. And you would *have* to use the directional passing unless the receiver wasn't moving. or if the receiver isn't moving then just touching it a hair to the desired direction would put the ball in a catchable spot but too much would send the ball sailing past uncatchable.

QB AWR would simply make the directional passing more or less sensitive.

Cuz right now you can directional pass anywhere and the WR will warp around to catch the ball. i don't know. it all just seems really goofy. Too much of the passing game is based on statistics and numbers rather than actual physics like where the ball is in the air.

i don't know - coupled with your idea i think it would tighten up the passing game all around, imo.
My issue with this is that that's far more an Accuracy issue than an Awareness issue.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »