Home

IMMERSION" the wow factor"

This is a discussion on IMMERSION" the wow factor" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: IMMERSION" the wow factor"

Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
lol right green94....Can a black man get a couple of paragraphs?..lol

TRUE STORY

R.I.P. NBA LIVE Fom 1998-2005
I miss you. You use to mean so much to me.

Last edited by Harlemal; 08-05-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
Banned

wryly's Arena

OVR: 2

I haven't been able to immerse myself in a game since Morrowind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 22

Great post bro..im with you on this 100%!!!. Its all about IMMERSION and ATMOSPHERE ..i call it atmosphere..its all the same though and its NEEDED in sports videogames. It baffles me year after year how EA fails to see how important atmosphere really is to sports videogames..especially a football videogame.

Ever been to a packer game in GreenBay? Its a freaking festival before the game, during the game and after the game..the excitment that goes on just sitting there in the stands is remarkable. We got season tickets behind the packer's bench/sidelines..watching players on the sideline get hyped up during big plays pumps the fans up..watching the coaches get amped after a bad play is remarkable.. watching player emotion after a HUGE play...let it be a bad or good play makes you feel your on the field playing the game with the players..its all about atmosphere..

Ian? Are you hearing this bro? PLEASE.. put this in 2010. ESPN NFL2k5 nailed it on the head that year for what they had to work with ..in terms in what the consoles hardware was able to allow them to do.. these current gen consoles have more then enough power to triple whats currently being done in madden09.. you guys are not tapping the hardware any where close to what it could be.... remember the player cutscene in NFL2k5 when the player was on the sideline warming up on the warm-up bicycle? how about after a RB runs a TD and you see the RB jump up on excitement after running his TD..you just dont see him "BY HIMSELF" jumping up and pumping his fist all by his lonesome..you see 2-3 other teammates run up and lift him up.. thats the kind of thing that is so badly missing in the Madden series.. its the kind of thing that NFL2k5 did that madden dont and never has done

Why is it so hard for tiburon to grasp this aspect of a sports videogame? Its damn near just as important as GAMEPLAY ITSELF!!!! I do not get it..and it pisses me off royally.

NFL2k5 had its big share of gameplay issues but you know what its saving grace was? Its atmsophere & presentation, its fun running game when running the rock and the fun passing game..it all worked and the atmosphere and presentation did wonders for its game.

What about this ESPN contract you guys bought out? Where the F' is it in Madden? That totally totally blows my mind you guys have yet to even touch that in madden this gen yet.. umbelievable. I dont want to hear its because of time..if Visual Concepts can do it with the fraction of the manpower and resources Tiburon has.. then something is very very wrong there at Tiburon..

You guys pay these big time salary's for your development guys and here i am a CNC Programmer that works a blue collar job and is giving you a lesson how important it is for immersion,atmosphere and presentation..im sorry but you guys at Tiburon have it all wrong and i mean no disrespect but you got it oh so wrong there.

Here is whats needed to make your game fun and exciting.

1. CROWDS AND SOUNDS OF THE CROWDS Change the damn crowds and the continous sound from the crowd..the crowd sound has been the same in madden since the very first madden on the playstation 2!!!! Its time you change the continous sound of the crowds roaring..its old and annoying...you would be suprised how much of a change madden would feel by just changing that alone!!.

2. TONS OF CUTSCENES ...put a HUGE PILE of various player and sideline cutscenes in the game between big, bad and great plays.. not just a few dozen.. 20 or so of these cut scenes will NOT CUT IT..they will repeat way to much over time. NFL2k5 had so many put into the game that it litterly took me a full year of playing the game for me to finally notice them all.

3. PRE-GAME SHOWS, Half Time Shows,etc Use the ESPN stuff and make madden feel like a REAL NFL HDTV BROADCAST!!! Why arent you guys not already doing this? Make it fun and intresting.. put aside your PRIDE and look at ESPN NFL2k5 Videogame for tips and a way to go about it..we dont care.. WE WANT IT IN MADDEN!!! I want to see a camera panning around the outside parking lot of a stadium with fan's cooking in grills, smoking going up in the air from the burgers cooking..little stuff like that makes the game fun and sucks you into the game .. come on guys.. you gotta see this...right? I mean..ok you dont gotta go that far but you see my point

4. SIDELINES ....the sidelines are getting better but its still dead and stupid looking. Again.. look at NFL2k5 for examples...no, look at how crowded and ACTIVE the sidelines are in a real NFL Game. The sidelines..even behind the endzones are littered with photographers and personell.. waaaaaay more then whats in madden09. I want to see coaches getting pissed off, players sitting on benches getting their ankles taped up and drinking out of gatorraid bottles,etc.. stuff like that needs to be littered all over Madden

5. PLAYOFFS!!/SUPERBOWLS!! . Its the heart and soul of NFL Football.. make the Playoffs and superbowl exciting and even more "busy" and "active" feeling then regular season games..again, look at pregame footage of real nfl playoffs for examples and make the superbowl even more intense and exciting..even put in a REAL SUPER BOWL half time show.. use the ROCK BAND Game as an exmaple for a real looking half time show with real songs rendered with the real singer chaacter models singing,etc during the half tiem show.. you know..render a half time music concert for the half time show with madden's graphic engine.. ..you think it sounds cheesey? IT WOULD BE A F'n HIT! as a new addition for madden..think about the possibilites it would do for Madden for atmosphere. Then have a complete indepth booth rendered portion of the half time show with the play by play guys doing a recap of all the big plays,etc..this would make madden so much better.

Stuff like this is greatly needed..you guys made some steps towards atmosphere this year and i thank you for that but much much more is needed. You all need to hire people like us with these idea's to make your game fun..sure you got your guys that do the AI, gameplay stuff but you need a dedicated team for the atmosphere, presentation ideas......or just simply take our idea's and put them in the game.. you dont neeed a college degree to realize this stuff is so badly needed....infact the majority of the time its gamers like me and us in here that come up with the blockbuster idea's that make the fun and exciting games.

PS> The new play by play is decent..feels better then the old madden stuff but needs alot of work still..but i wont bitch, its better then the home annoncer..i expect it to be better next year...right?

Last edited by Moegames; 08-05-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 16

I love all of your posts MOE!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

This will never happen, as the average Madden player simply spams the start button at the start of the game to skip to the coin toss. I see people do it all the time.

We on this board are in the minority when it comes to presentation.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQman2121
This will never happen, as the average Madden player simply spams the start button at the start of the game to skip to the coin toss. I see people do it all the time.

We on this board are in the minority when it comes to presentation.
The average Madden gamer has never seen good presentation. If EA mimics a tv broadcast, makes it dynamic and game specific, I'm sure a lot less folks would skip these presentation elements.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #16
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm the exact opposite. During NFL 2K5 (for example), I watched every little cutscene that'd pop up and pay attention to every overlay...

...then again, I'm a media study/broadcasting major so I enjoy that stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »