Home

I think Madden deserves some slack.

This is a discussion on I think Madden deserves some slack. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #33
Banned

PodSquad's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: I think Madden deserves some slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Easy. Keep the lower levels for folks that want to roll out & throw it up, and reserve the higher levels for those that want to play realisitcally.

But, IMO, anyone that can figure out the glitches and minipulate the game like I've seen is cabable of learning how to play with football strategy. Tournament-style players use those tactic because they work. It took effort to figure them out. If the game was made so actual football strategy gave you an advantage, folks would learn that just as quickly.

And maybe instead of Tron Mode, EA could put some football tutorials in the game, expand on the Replay feature, and teach the game.
Yes! Make people learn the game, what a novel idea!

The techniques and terms used in Madden are below peewee level and slightly above flag football. I dont proclaim to know all about the game, but I was going through the play book in the demo and saw a play called 'Spaces!' Come the **** on. Maybe give each play a number to signify how many step drops the QB takes at the very least.

Mr. Madden producer needs to read this thread, not necissarily respond, but there is a ton of very valid criticism in here.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #34
MVP

Spongedaddy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSquad
Yes! Make people learn the game, what a novel idea!

The techniques and terms used in Madden are below peewee level and slightly above flag football. I dont proclaim to know all about the game, but I was going through the play book in the demo and saw a play called 'Spaces!' Come the **** on. Maybe give each play a number to signify how many step drops the QB takes at the very least.

Mr. Madden producer needs to read this thread, not necissarily respond, but there is a ton of very valid criticism in here.
I think there is some valid criticism here as well as some unrealistic thoughts.

If some of you feel the game is such garbage, why do you continue to buy the game or engage in discussion about it? Why not walk away?

The dude who says he is an ex-athlete has a point about most people, myself included, not knowing about things like LB reads. However, the game is not made to go that in-depth. It's still a game and suppsoed to be fun. At least there is some interesting discussion going on about it.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #35
Banned

PodSquad's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy
I think there is some valid criticism here as well as some unrealistic thoughts.

If some of you feel the game is such garbage, why do you continue to buy the game or engage in discussion about it? Why not walk away?

The dude who says he is an ex-athlete has a point about most people, myself included, not knowing about things like LB reads. However, the game is not made to go that in-depth. It's still a game and suppsoed to be fun. At least there is some interesting discussion going on about it.

I dont buy the game, but I'll continue to discuss it until Tiburon either puts out a decent game of football, or the exclusive license deal ends.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #36
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I've only purchased 1 Madden in the past 4-5 years, and I returned it for a full refund. But I come here to voice my opinion in hopes of it being heard by the powers that be. Madden was once my favorite video game. I'm hoping that will be the case again one day.

Quote:
You only control 1 person at a time. Gamers don't have to understand everyone's reads & responsibilities to enjoy the game. At the same time, the AI reacting correctly won't detract from their fun either. In fact, it would probably enhance it since the game would look more like what they see on tv.

My point though was only that most folks don't know the AI & animations need a lot of work since they don't know what the players should be doing. Like my example, my friend had no idea DEs should at least attempt to contain the QB, barring a stunt or something. He just thought he was playing well. When I showed him I could do the same to him, and be even more successful, he changed his tune.

I just want the game to look & play like football. I won't speak much on '09, but in previous games, a person using Madden strategy would beat someone using football strategy every time. That shouldn't be the case on the higher levels if EA promotes the game as a sim, IMO.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #37
MVP

Spongedaddy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I've only purchased 1 Madden in the past 4-5 years, and I returned it for a full refund. But I come here to voice my opinion in hopes of it being heard by the powers that be. Madden was once my favorite video game. I'm hoping that will be the case again one day.

You only control 1 person at a time. Gamers don't have to understand everyone's reads & responsibilities to enjoy the game. At the same time, the AI reacting correctly won't detract from their fun either. In fact, it would probably enhance it since the game would look more like what they see on tv.

My point though was only that most folks don't know the AI & animations need a lot of work since they don't know what the players should be doing. Like my example, my friend had no idea DEs should at least attempt to contain the QB, barring a stunt or something. He just thought he was playing well. When I showed him I could do the same to him, and be even more successful, he changed his tune.

I just want the game to look & play like football. I won't speak much on '09, but in previous games, a person using Madden strategy would beat someone using football strategy every time. That shouldn't be the case on the higher levels if EA promotes the game as a sim, IMO.
Fair enough.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #38
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS10029
The problem isn't just the dev cycle. If Halo was something that was on TV every sunday and everyone watched it, people would want the game to be exactly like whats on TV every sunday.

People are crazy whether we want to agree with it or not and we seek perfection in a video game, which unfortunately is just not going to happen.

I think most people need to keep in mind why we play video games, to have fun. I don't want to make it seem like I'm a huge fan of EA or there football games, cause I haven't play my copy of NCAA in like 2 weeks. I just think having a community like OS has just raised our awareness of the games faults and driven us crazy in our constant search to point out what is wrong with games, before we sit down and have a good time.
...I agree....Since I've joined this community, I've become very picky and detail oriented. I never thought there were so many things wrong with the game until OS made me notice. I guess it's a bittersweet thing....I think I'll get Madden 09 and not come on these forums for like 2 weeks after the game's release.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #39
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Madden hasn't really changed in years. We don't need the OS messageboards to tell us that. The passing is inferior to the best of last gen. The presentation is inferior. The sound is recycled. The graphics, while finally getting an improvement, still don't hold up next gen standards of other genres. Very few "little things" to show that the developers are working on things that gamers don't think about.

How many times have you been playing a game of Madden and thought "Wow! That's cool, I wouldn't have thought of putting that in the game. That's real football right there." Has anyone seen a player get hit, stumble, put their hand on the ground and then continue running? What about a really nice bobbled ball play?

Madden is paint by numbers football, and EA made sure that's the only game in town. They've literally bought all of their criticisms.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #40
Th* *p*r*t**n *f Sp*rts

CS10029's Arena

OVR: 32

I blame The Show, if that game wasn't so awsome all the other games could suck no problem.
I don't like the Yankees, I like the Red Sox, I don't like the Lakers, I like the Celtics, I hate the Canadiens and I love the Bruins. Soccer is the best sport on Earth, but most Americans are too ignorant to realize it. I am American.

This is My Music:
www.youtube.com/user/christoffascott

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »