Home

Madden NFL 09: Ups and Downs

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 09: Ups and Downs within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 10
Oops. I hit enter too soon.

As I was saying...

I see your point regarding the rewind feature. But I usually won't fault a company for trying out a new feature like this AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT TAKE RESOURCES AWAY FROM OTHER, MORE IMPORTANT FEATURES OF THE GAME

But therein lies the problem: we don't know what else they could be doing.

One of the features from the Triple Play baseball series, an otherwise crappy video gaming experience, that I liked was the option to select either an Arcade style of play or a Simulation style of play. I wish like hell that EA would adapt this feature to its football titles. This 'rewind' feature would be a great aspect of an Arcade play style. It does appear that, as you pointed out, Will, this feature can be turned off. In that regards, kudos to EA.

The problem is that these arcade aspects have seeped their ways into the gameplay of the mainstream gameplay action. Case in point: the inability to play a solid game along the defensive line in the NCAA 09. EA appears to have opted for a more arcade-ish style of gameplay (i.e. wide-open gameplay), allowing the offense to dominate, as opposed to a more sim-style gameplay, which would appeal to folks like myself who are die-hard football fans.

Why must it be an either/or proposition? Why not make these arcade-like features and gamplay options, as opposed to the standards??

These are a few of the reasons why I'm no longer a release-day purchaser.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #34
Pro

acarrero's Arena

OVR: 10
Does everyone have problems defending the roll-out passing in both NCAA and Madden? I hear so much complaining about this and i don't get it. I love when an opponent tries that against me - all you have to prevent is the QB from rolling out, and you do that easily by blitizing from both sides, or blitzing from one side and taking over the DE on the other side and rushing out as far as possible to make the other player either run into the blitz or have to try to dodge you - which is hard if you're using a good DE. It works agaist Pat White, so it can work against any QB. Of course, if the opposing player only does this once in a while, it will be harder to contain because you will get burned if you blitz every play, but if their offense is based on scrambling out of the pocket and throwing on the run, then you should welcome that kind of offense because it's easy to contain.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1
i have been playing madden since 92 when I purchased it for my sega genesis. I am now 33 and this is the first year I have not been excited about this franchise. The past 2 iterations of the game have killed it for me. I can expect game issues but EA's inability to correct these issues in a timely manner and to make matters worse their horrible communication with the community.

Based on what I have seen this year and the Issues with NCAA, EA has done a great job at communicating and is even working on patches. With that being said, i am optimistic that this is the year EA gets their ish together and brings back some excitement I felt many years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Madden NFL 09: Ups and Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hndavis
yall need to stop hatin on madden..like for real this is the best pro football game out since the 80's hands down..madden is the king of football gaming and video games itself..im going to be one fo those ppl wating in line at midnite wating for madden hopefully ill even sneak out of my moms house idc..i love madden and its all i play

When someone starts a sentence off with "ya'll", I don't even read the rest of the post. Is it just me?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #37
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
Just think, with a lot of hard work and a little luck, Madden NFL may one day be almost as good as NFL 2K5 was four years ago. Did I mention it was only $20 new too.

Anyway, it looks like this year's Madden is going to be a decent jump over last year's. I ended up messing around with the original Xbox version of NCAA and Madden last year because there were so many missing features in the current gen versions. I'd still take a high def version of NFL 2K5 over this year's Madden on current gen consoles, but I'm looking forward to playing this year's Madden too. I hope it is a step in the right direction. I'm getting the LE version because I am looking forward to Head Couch's comback. I was very disappointed with the retail release of NCAA this year, but I think Madden will give me some hope going into 2010 for a solid football offering from EA on both the college and pro fronts.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #38
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8
32 years old, married for 11 years with 2 sons 7 and 3 and get absolutely stoked for the release of Madden every year, although the game is far from perfect. playing Madden every year is just an integral part of my life, I need counseling. Go Broncos! Go Hawkeyes!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #39
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32
31 years old and the past two years Madden has made me cringe on release day for the next gen.

I remember the days when I didn't have to worry about EA releasing a half *** version of Madden.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #40
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Madden NFL 09: Ups and Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hndavis
yall need to stop hatin on madden..like for real this is the best pro football game out since the 80's hands down..madden is the king of football gaming and video games itself..im going to be one fo those ppl wating in line at midnite wating for madden hopefully ill even sneak out of my moms house idc..i love madden and its all i play
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »