Home

To get Madden 2moro is it absolutely necessary to pre-order?

This is a discussion on To get Madden 2moro is it absolutely necessary to pre-order? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #41
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: To get Madden 2moro is it absolutely necessary to pre-order?

Games like Madden, Halo, GTA, etc should never need to be pre-ordered b/c every major retailer knows that millions of people want the game... But special editions, collector's editions, small-studio/budget titles are much harder to get large quantities so it makes sense to pre-order them.

If you want just Madden alone, you could go anywhere can find a copy...but if you're looking for the CE version (like me) just go to a major chain at midnight or when they open up on Tuesday.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by X*Cell
Got it from EB... Some dude didn't even pre-order and still got a copy lol.

Spoiler
I got it at Gamespot , was like 80th in line..... I had NO preorder and I even declined a opportunity for one earlier in the day. Preorders for the "big" games like Madden aren't a nessity if you are going to be one of the firsts in the door. The stores hold "sale" copies along with Preorder copies.
I looked in the "sale" drawer and saw what had to be 100 game disks.
So yeah, you can probably get the game as an early walk in.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #43
All Star

OVR: 13

Never go to Gamestop...you're supporting an evil empire. They aren't videogame stores so much as pawnshops that take advantage of 13-year-olds, and they aren't in the business of being gamer-friendly hangouts (as is their implicit assertion).

Their business model is 100% ENTIRELY built on the pre-order (which is actually quite brilliant, from their standpoint, in that it ensures 100% sell-through so that they're never buying anything from manufacturers other than what they have already sold)...which is bad for us because if you walk into a Gamestop, you will notice they have very little browse-able product. You can't have a conversation with anyone in there without being hustled for pre-orders (and if you hang around and listen to the blatant lies they tell other unwitting customers, it's alarming), and their job is to make you feel bad for not pre-ordering games.

In this day and age, when everyone sells videogames, there's no reason to ever pre-order anything. There will never be a game you couldn't just stroll into the store and pick up on the day it comes out; the last time that ever happened to me was when "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out" came out on the NES. Since then, not once. But Gamestop's method of doing business just rubs me the wrong way...
Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #44
Pro

budsticky's Arena

Halo 3..one of the biggest releases of all time: Walked into a store and bought in on release day with no problem.

GTA4...another of the biggest releases of all time: Walked into a store and bought it on release day with no problem.

I don't remember what stores I bought them at, but they weren't Gamestop.

Moral: Pre-orders are dumb. I can't believe Gamestop still pushes them. Are there really people that believe they are going to be shut out on getting games on release day if they don't pre-order?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #45
Rookie

DJJHNSN's Arena

OVR: 4

wait whats the difference between ce and regular?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2008, 01:49 AM   #46
Pro

budsticky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJHNSN
wait whats the difference between ce and regular?
The main selling point for CE is it comes bundled with NFL Head Coach. From everything I've been reading though, it should be more like it should be advertised as Madden being bundled with Head Coach...that's how good this version of Head Coach sounds from the impressions here. NFL Head Coach won't be released on its own until September.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #47

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Never go to Gamestop...you're supporting an evil empire. They aren't videogame stores so much as pawnshops that take advantage of 13-year-olds, and they aren't in the business of being gamer-friendly hangouts (as is their implicit assertion).

Their business model is 100% ENTIRELY built on the pre-order (which is actually quite brilliant, from their standpoint, in that it ensures 100% sell-through so that they're never buying anything from manufacturers other than what they have already sold)...which is bad for us because if you walk into a Gamestop, you will notice they have very little browse-able product. You can't have a conversation with anyone in there without being hustled for pre-orders (and if you hang around and listen to the blatant lies they tell other unwitting customers, it's alarming), and their job is to make you feel bad for not pre-ordering games.

In this day and age, when everyone sells videogames, there's no reason to ever pre-order anything. There will never be a game you couldn't just stroll into the store and pick up on the day it comes out; the last time that ever happened to me was when "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out" came out on the NES. Since then, not once. But Gamestop's method of doing business just rubs me the wrong way...
Some of what you said ir correct but Pre-Orders are not 100% of their business model, that I guarantee. Their biggest seller is used games, new games are only there to bring people in in hopes of them trading in games that they can then mark up sometimesa s high as 30.00 and make an insane profit. Lastly, Pre-Orders arent always a guaranteed sale anyways, I worked for Game Crazy for nearly 3 years and we would always have people who forgot they had a game pre-ordered or would change their mind once the game came out and get a refund so its a tool to help avoid buying too much in a certain title but its nowhere near the cash cow that some might think.

Just to throw it out there, back when I worked there and the games were 50.00 new, we were paying anywhere between 40.00-45.00 per unit so the markup is very minimal at best.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:04 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by X*Cell
Got it from EB... Some dude didn't even pre-order and still got a copy lol.

Spoiler
*sniff, sniff*, I feel left behind. I pre-ordered mine and I won't get the game for an hour.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »