Home

Madden 2010 Franchise Fixes/Additions

This is a discussion on Madden 2010 Franchise Fixes/Additions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Madden 2010 Franchise Fixes/Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACardAttack
Yeah, BUT the game may not know it...what do you think Kurt Warner was rated before Trent Green got hurt, or Tom Brady before Bleadso (spelling) got hurt? I can tell you the were rated much lower than what they were rated the next year...the idea of basing ratings somewhat off of stats is to help with realism in the fact that you dont know someone is a hidden gem until the have a break out season. Make sense?
I know why they do it. That doesn't make it right or realistic. What you have to look at here is the difference between the initial determination of ratings and how players actually progress.

When determining the ratings for the game all they have to go off of is the player's previous performance, opinion's from watching a player play, combine results, etc. Once you enter the franchise though those ratings are now what determines how a player plays. They are his actual abilities. To progress those in the same way that perceptions change is just fundamentally wrong.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #34
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
If you take performance out there will be no reason for anyone to keep their late round picks. It may render the draft useless completely.

Lets say Eric Mangini has a high DL effect.

That means that if I draft Brian Robiskie and he averages 100 catches and 1200 yards receiving for the first five years, he will not deserve a rating boost at all.

Before anyone starts to jump on the anti-performance group of progression, they should also take a look at EA's roster updates. Pray-tell, how are those constantly changing ratings determined?
First the portion on whether or not to keep late draft pick, potential allows you to do that. All these people who seem to think that high potential is only given to 1st round players obviosly didn't play head coach 09 (designed by the same guys doing franchise now and I think donny did their ratings as well). In their there were plenty of and possibly too many times you would pick up a late round draft pick or even an undrafted guy or random guy invited to training camp who would have high enough potetial to not only make your roster but be a solid and possibly even great career.

As for the last part, it goes under the same philosophy as my previous post.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #35
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACardAttack
Well the only way to get better is to play....I can read all about Madden strategies, but that wont help me too much until I actually play. I think with rookies and 1st and 2nd year players should also improve by playing alone, gaining experience and knowledge. Now if a rookie qb comes in at 80ovr and passes for 4000 yards, 35tds they should easily jump up not only because of the experience they gained playing, but also on his performance. If you play better, you are better, if you play worse well then you are worse and madden determines better and worse by ratings
Couldn't agree more that the only way to get better at something is to do it. The thing is NFL players do a very small percentage of their "playing football" during the games.

The only way to get better at catching a football is to catch a football, this is true but, if you take all the passes caught during practice and drills for an average week and add on the passes caught during during a game for an average NFL receiver what percentage of that catching do you think happens during the game. The same could be said for any skill.

The amount of time playing in a game is very small compared to the amount of time practicing those skills in practice, training camp, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #36
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSubs
Oh my goodness, I hope free agency doesn't become like NCAA recruiting!

Recruiting is such a tedious, boring, time consuming waste of life! Plus after reading a FAQ, or playing a few hours, you figure it out anyways and can still end up with your favoured prospect at the end of the day. It just becomes a lot more annoying. I would be so disappointed if free agency became like recuiting!

At the end of the day, money talks. If you have enough money, the player is yours. I don't want to try to pitch him on hunting on the off-season, etc. lol. Plus real life has contradicted your reasoning for this feature. Terrell Owens wants media exposure and a night life? Yet he signed in Buffalo? It has neither of those, it's just the money man.

Maybe a few "hometown" contracts, a few paycuts for a veteran trying to with the Super Bowl, but free agency is not about pitching every little portion of your city trying to match it to the player's interests.
I agree NCAA recruiting is TEDIOUS...for 15 weeks. I tire of it.

BUT, if we had 3-4 weeks of FA to manage in a similar fashion it wouldn't be so bad.

FA is soooo easy in Madden. Just throw money at them. Certain guys should NEVER sign with certain teams.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 5

kcarr and adem have it right. Stats/performance based progression is just a bad system to use. Your late round draft pick (Brady, etc) has more to do with actual ability, actual potential and perceived potential.

It should be practice, mentoring, coaching, players potential, playing time, etc and not statistics that determine progression. Otherwise progression gets so skewed at the different positions it makes a franchise somewhat useless.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #38
Rookie

red butler's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
If you take performance out there will be no reason for anyone to keep their late round picks. It may render the draft useless completely.
I think the opposite is true. Do your late round draft picks ever see the field? Mine don't because they don't start out with good enough ratings. So, they get buried on the depth chart and progress very little. Let's be honest, in a stat based progression, no one we draft in the 1st round is really going to be a bust. Because we can make sure they have the stats to improve. I can't think of any player I've drafted that turned out to be a bust. I've had some that didn't become great, but they've always been able to solidify a starting position. By year 7 all my players are at least high 80s.

Now imagine a progression model where you can't pad a players stats to get him to improve. The progression could be based on potential, coaching, work ethic, and playing time. Then late round draft picks may be worth holding on to, especially if they have a unique physical ability like speed, size, or strength... but don't have the total package. Maybe the late round draft pick busts his tail in practice or the offseason to get better while the 1st rounder goes through the motions. The late rounder earns the position and the 1st rounder becomes a bust. I think personally think it would be a lot more fun and immersive for the franchise mode.

Last edited by red butler; 04-16-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by red butler
I think the opposite is true. Do your late round draft picks ever see the field? Mine don't because they don't start out with good enough ratings. So, they get buried on the depth chart and progress very little. Let's be honest, in a stat based progression, no one we draft in the 1st round is really going to be a bust. Because we can make sure they have the stats to improve. I can't think of any player I've drafted that turned out to be a bust. I've had some that didn't become great, but they've always been able to solidify a starting position. By year 7 all my players are at least high 80s.

Now imagine a progression model where you can't pad a players stats to get him to improve. The progression could be based on potential, coaching, work ethic, and playing time. Then late round draft picks may be worth holding on to, especially if they have a unique physical ability like speed, size, or strength... but don't have the total package. Maybe the late round draft pick busts his tail in practice or the offseason to get better while the 1st rounder goes through the motions. The late rounder earns the position and the 1st rounder becomes a bust. I think personally think it would be a lot more fun and immersive for the franchise mode.
YES!!!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Dude, we get it. We all want a vast array of options.

Until this is in the game I'm going to mention it, sorry if it bothers you. If they want to progress Madden they need to start by re adding all the basic features they removed when going to next gen.

5 years in now there is no excuse to be missing so many feature from the PS2 era.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »