Home

Tips for the run game.

This is a discussion on Tips for the run game. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Tips for the run game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
After watching the Market Place video, and reading this tips... WOW.

I've been averaging 2.0 YPC with Maroney through my first six games. But I just beat Denver in a game which I averaged 3.5 through regulation and saw noticeable improvement. The FIRST play of OT? Maroney breaks off a 72 yard, game winning run.

NOT using turbo opens up a sea of computer animations that help you break tacks and shimmy through openings. I saw some sick animations.

I've never actually felt the need to "replay" a 4 yard run before... but this game has some truly beautiful 4 yard runs!
Which marketplace video did you watch that helped your running game?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #18
Rookie

Titus001's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedup4life31
I see a lot of people having trouble running this year. I did at first but I've tried to perfect it and I've been doing a lot better. Here's some tips that have helped me a lot.

1. Know your RB. Don't toss to power backs and expect them to turn the corner. Hit up the gut with them, then MAYBE bounce a stretch if you feel confident. With speed backs you can usually take it off tackle well although pitches are high risk high reward. Don't be afraid to pound it with smaller backs, just don't get greedy. Cover that ball when contact approaches.

2. Follow your blockers. This is very important. Don't try to cutback left and right while looking to take it outside when the play is designed inside the guard. If you have a lead blocker try sticking right behind him.

3. Look for cutbacks. There's a fine line between over juking and looking for cutbacks. Be aware as soon as the ball is snapped. Look where the defense is committing. The next tip will help you with this. If you're designed to go off-tackle and there's a huge hole in the middle hit the highlight stick left to cutback and push forward. Just don't go running in circles looking for one.

Most important IMO
4. Don't turbo off the line! I see so many people get the ball and just turbo forward into 3 offensive lineman's backs when a yard to the right there's a massive hole. You need to be patient (next tip). Look around when you snap. Read the defense. Look for holes. See where they are coming pre play. Look where your blocks set up. When you do see a legitimate spot to run in then turbo towards it.

5. Use misdirection. Use counters to the weak side, cutbacks, etc. Don't always run to the strong side. Use some motion pre play. Look for man or zone coverage and try to exploit it. You don't always have to run to the side with the TE.

Lastly,
6. Be patient! Not every play will be a 15 yard run plowing through people. How many times in real life do you see RB chipping away at a D then bust the big one? The defense will get worn down then you can hit it home. There's some games when you just won't be able to run. Stay calm and always be aware of your surroundings.

That's it pretty much. Once you get a good run game the opponent/cpu will pile the box and in return this will help your passing game also. Get the PA pass ready and start dominating. Hope this helps
Good tips. I played on all madden and had a very hard time running the ball. Moved down to all pro and all is fine. It could be that a few people that had trouble running the ball was because they played on all madden. The ai run defense on all madden is tuf to say the least.

Edit: I play the first 3 quarters on all pro and in the 4th I bump it to all madden.

Last edited by Titus001; 08-17-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #19
Rookie

Titus001's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Nice tips, but it's not going to help much. The defensive pursuit is on steroids this year. Trying to run with fundamentals barley works, I'm happy getting 3yrds. running on every run play, if I could, but I can't.

Passing game is the same way. YAC is pretty much none existing.
What level you play on?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesha2000
Which marketplace video did you watch that helped your running game?
Select "Inside XBox" when you sign into live. It's the first video listed, and there are some good tips.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
Rookie

squaremarker's Arena

OVR: 4

all those tips are great... but you're missing the biggest one...

do not run with the Detroit Lions.....

christ it's brutal
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #22
Pro

Brooklynbks4's Arena

OVR: 3

im mixing up my difficulty between my skill and all pro im tryin 2 give da my skill a chance im not doin 2 bad wit my skill now dat i practiced runin da ball
Old 08-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaremarker

Christ it's brutal
LOL. I do love the differences between teams in this game. Trying to stop LT feels like, well, trying to stop LT.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaremarker

christ it's brutal

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I played with them a few times. It got so bad that I had to use 3-4 yard pass plays to substitute for my running game. Hopefully that Smith kid turns out to be the truth and the light because if not ya'll got BIG problems this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »