Home

Playing Man is Useless

This is a discussion on Playing Man is Useless within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #9
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Playing Man is Useless

Sometimes it seems like stopping the pass is impossible but yet the cpu never really manages to score on MOST of those drives and then a couple games ago Drew Brees threw 6 interceptions.

I can deal with the difficulty stopping the pass since the cpu does not score on most of those drives anyhow and it occasionally does something dumb like running out of bounds right after the catch for a two yard gain when it could of stayed in bounds and got a bigger gain. Stuff like that kinda makes up for it.

However when you play the non robo qb like games and the qb throws 6 interceptions I really wish they would bench him. Now that would be cool.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 6

Does the Dummy Profile method allow you to play man? I know it's supposed to do away with Mr. Robo QB, but can you run man against that method??
Old 08-22-2008, 05:20 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by notque
It is broken. There is no easy fix. Just the way it is.

All pro football had this dynamic perfectly.
Yes, we know, 2k can do NO wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 21

1. Are you having man D problems in single player or multiplayer games ?

2. What routes are your shutdown corners not shutting down in man coverage ?

3. What Skill level are the games played on ?

4. What were the match ups ? (CB/WR involved)

I am not asking these questions to be a azz or because I think I am a Madden god, cause GOD knows I am not. I ask because in order to fix the game we gotta know whats really a problem or whats "as designed" by the devs.

IMO this game plays on 2 sets of ratings. One set in single player games and one for multiplayer games. It just seems like the players play differently depending on whether you are playing the cpu or a person. I could be 100% wrong but it sure plays out that way.

I can go to practice mode and have a CB that has better awr/spd/agi/acc than a WR, but yet when that WR runs a in that CB cannot keep up with him in man to man D, even when you do press coverage. However in a multiplayer game they do much better.

Also I THINK but dont know and wish a dev would confirm it, hitches are routes that are suppose to be open against man D and only shutdown DB's can really give those routes trouble and zone D. Bump and run can give hitch routes problems also if you dont have shutdown DB's. Same applies to outs.

Also we all gotta keep in mind that if you dont get a good pass rush and the cpu/human QB has lots of time in the pocket, no matter how good a CB is he cant cover a WR forever in man to man. If you play man you better have a stud defensive line or bring some heat with a blitzing LB/DB.

So far, I have not found a route that cannot be defended in the game. They can all be stopped but you gotta know what stops them and you have to also be aware that the more WR's running routes in a play increases the odds your called defense may not be protecting one of those routes. The CPU is good at finding that route and in large part because its really hard to get pressure on the cpu. It seems to know when you are bringing heat before the snap. AP2K8 had this problem. If you sent more than 1 blitzer the cpu knew it before the snap and would audible to pick up the blitz and adjust the play call.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardofspock
Yes, we know, 2k can do NO wrong.

Why does this hurt you that he spoke gospel. AP2K8 was not perfect but it DID do player ratings dang near perfect. A shutdown DB was a SHUTDOWN DB.

I point this out mainly because these games should and can be talked about without the hostility. Its like talking about chevys at a race track but someone crying foul when someone mentions a Dodge or a Ford. How can you speak of one and not mention the other at some point ?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Why does this hurt you that he spoke gospel. AP2K8 was not perfect but it DID do player ratings dang near perfect. A shutdown DB was a SHUTDOWN DB.

I point this out mainly because these games should and can be talked about without the hostility. Its like talking about chevys at a race track but someone crying foul when someone mentions a Dodge or a Ford. How can you speak of one and not mention the other at some point ?
Exactly on both points.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #15
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Playing Man Defense is Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2ndComing8
Last year the defensive backs were superhuman and would pick off any pass in the same vicinity. This year the defensive backs get burned on a consistent basis forcing people to play zone 95% of the time if they don't want to get burned in the passing game. Even shutdown corners fail to take a receiver out a game in man to man, if I'm the Eagles and have three corners all rated 90 overall and above the opposing team should have an etremely didfficult time passing the ball. This is not the case this year as Derek Hagan of Miami and the 3rd receiver who is very average to below avearge can easily beat Lito Shppard. This should not be the case.

Is there anyway to possibly patch this and make man a little more effective? I'm not asking for the superhuman defense from 08 but something in between. Playing zone almost all the time and cutting out half the defensive playbook because the secondary can't play man to man is lame.
I don't think it is that simple...

There are definitely other variables at work. I use the Eagles too and have played every game so far and am at wk 10.

I'm one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to sacks (bottom 5); although I've started to get more over the last few weeks. I'm a top 5 rush D, and middle of the pack secondary in terms of yards given up, but in the top 5 in take-aways (INTs): Samuel 5, Sheppard 4, Brown 3, Bradley 3, and Hanson 1.

The most yards I've given up was 347 in wk 1 (against the Rams). I didn't get one sack, and might have sneezed on the QB once. Holt and Drew Bennett torched me...why...because the QB had ALL DAY.

Even if your corner is a 99 you cannot expect him to keep up w/ the WR the whole time, and if you are not getting a pass rush then your secondary is definitely going to struggle no matter who you have out there.

Thru wk 9 here's my sack total:

Clemons 3
Parker 4
Cole 1
Gaither 3

Julius Peppers has 9 sacks already...2 less than my entire team.

Philly is good against the run, and they have ballhawks in the secondary but w/ no pass rush they WILL get burned.

I'm also using the Raiders in my 'chise and was able to hold the Jets under 150 yards passing and Derrick Burgess, a DE better than anyone on Philly, posted 3 sacks in that game alone...I had a total of 5. In one game w/ OAK I had more sacks than I did thru 5 weeks w/ Philly.

Then look at Phillys LB Corps...Below avg in comparison to the rest of the league. While good at stopping the run, and possessing decent coverage ratings, they have below avg pass rushing ratings and MAN COVERAGE ratings...and Philly's interior linemen are run stoppers...There not Albert Haynesworth or Warren Sapp, a sacking DT.

Your pass rush and man coverage work hand in hand, and if you aren't getting sacks then expect your secondary to feel the repercussions of that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

I feel the same exact way. Some thing is wrong with playing man in this game. Lock down corners are useless in this game. I am not startig to pass all over the place with this game. I perfered 08. It had way better defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »