Home

Playing Man is Useless

This is a discussion on Playing Man is Useless within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Playing Man is Useless

If you take a look at the some of the replays you will notice the DB and LB actions are down right dumb! They do not cover like real DB's should and the only solid man on man cover is on long passes. Short passes and some slants are serious money plays. Playing in a zone I noticed the LB's will stand motionless instead of reacting like real football players. Additionally, the zone coverage will still allow the WR or RB to get in front of the zone for a short completion.

When I am playing online, I can simply use the Patriots style of play. Short pass and quick run my way down the field.

Bottom-line, look at your replays and you will notice defenders standing still, and on play action mostly all defenders will move in sync like a flock of birds, and last but not least the slow motion defense running while the WR appears to be at full speed on crossing routes and down and outs.

Have you noticed? When the CB/LB is covering a WR/RB on a post, slant , crossing, down/out route and for a change has pretty tight coverage. The QB will lead the WR/RB and all of a sudden!!! The WR/RB skips a frame/morphs and catches the ball. You the defender is unbelievable like two yards back when you were side by side while the ball was just in the air. Have you seen this??

NO to 08 defense also. Super human defenders is not the answer at all. Take notes from past football game makers to get this right. There has to be a middle ground. We all know and hate to admit it but 2K found/created it.

Last edited by DONF; 08-22-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 21

I think whatever set of ratings they adjusted to fix the psychic DB problem has negatively affected man to man D to some extent.

If the core way your AI deals with a given task is flawed, and you dont want to mess with that code, playing with the existing numbers is what you are left with. So you are going from one extreme to another. They either play too aggressive to the point of playing on balls they should not see or too passive to the point of standing and watching WR's catch in front of them. This seems to be moreso a problem in NCAA than Madden..at least thats how I am seeing things.

I will also qualify that statement with its all speculation, it could be something we as users are not understanding and doing wrong.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #19
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Why does this hurt you that he spoke gospel. AP2K8 was not perfect but it DID do player ratings dang near perfect. A shutdown DB was a SHUTDOWN DB.

I point this out mainly because these games should and can be talked about without the hostility. Its like talking about chevys at a race track but someone crying foul when someone mentions a Dodge or a Ford. How can you speak of one and not mention the other at some point ?

APF had legends that really were shutdown corners. 85% of the madden supposed to be shutdown corners are not shutdown corner in real life.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #20
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF

Have you noticed? When the CB/LB is covering a WR/RB on a post, slant , crossing, down/out route and for a change has pretty tight coverage. The QB will lead the WR/RB and all of a sudden!!! The WR/RB skips a frame/morphs and catches the ball. You the defender is unbelievable like two yards back when you were side by side while the ball was just in the air. Have you seen this??
Its that new catching system they implemented. Which is half *** done, you can't fix WR catching without fixing DB logic, ball physics, and wr db interaction.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 08-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by capp34
Its that new catching system they implemented. Which is half *** done, you can't fix WR catching without fixing DB logic, ball physics, and wr db interaction.
Another bad animation/physic is when the WR runs a streak route and he is simply bumping into the CB while looking back and the CB is running and not looking back. When the ball gets there, the CB jumps up with out looking to block it down. Terrible animation though!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #22
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

You have to pass commit and rover the field with a LB manually. I can shut down alot of people this way.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

All you guys have to play man coverage with the new Dummy Profile sliders in the post above by jdaniels, it makes the game realistic and read the post by Martin2180 that says you should let ya coach(Madden) call all of your plays...yes thats what i said! it really makes the game realistic even on DEF let the coach pick ya play, don't cheat and pick another play,choose the one it highlites and only that one!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #24
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Why does this hurt you that he spoke gospel. AP2K8 was not perfect but it DID do player ratings dang near perfect. A shutdown DB was a SHUTDOWN DB.

I point this out mainly because these games should and can be talked about without the hostility. Its like talking about chevys at a race track but someone crying foul when someone mentions a Dodge or a Ford. How can you speak of one and not mention the other at some point ?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »