Home

Playcalling AI

This is a discussion on Playcalling AI within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Playcalling AI

Is it me or does the AI always know what kind of play I'm going to run. If I come out with a 4 wide single back set on 2-12, don't you think the computer would think I'm going to pass? Nooo of course not, they know me so well, and they know I'm about to run it up the gut, so the have a 4-3 with the MLB inching twoards the line to cover the middle. If I try to audible out if this, they drop back in a zone. This happens to me all the time, and it seems that the AI knows exactly what play you're going to call. Shouldn't the AI be making play calls based on formations, personnell, and situations?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Playcalling AI

This happens to me too. I end up just audibling out and abusing the mismatch.

It's still all wrong though.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I haven't played the CPU in '09, but I hated that in past versions.

I believe Ian said the CPU doesn't "know" what play you're calling. It's playing the down & distance. I think. But like your scenario, I remember the CPU playing me to run on obvious passing downs against pass formations.

Whatever the issue is, I hope they fix it next year.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 21

Yeah, this happens to me too.

Even in the same formation, if I audible into a run they crowd the box, and into a pass they just step back...

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Pro

utorde's Arena

OVR: 12

Yeah, the CPU's defense audibles to defend the type of play you're running no matter what formation you're in or what type of play (pass or run) you should really be going with given your situation. For the 5 audibles you can assign I have 2 run plays, 2 pass plays, and 1 play-action. So combined with the formation audibles that's a total of 3 run plays, 4 pass plays, and 2 play-action plays I can change to. I have actually messed around with it before and audibled to all 9 of those plays before snapping the ball (just to see what they would do) and they always audible their defense to get in the correct position for each and every one of them as if they do in fact know if i'm going to run or pass. Not saying they're always successful in stopping me, but it looks like they know what to expect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #6
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

No one can tell me that the D doesn't know your play. Everytime I audible, the D audibles to the perfect play.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Upping for feedback. EA, why does the defense seem to know our plays? And will this be addressed for next year? The defense should be playing the down, distance and maybe our tendencies.

It would be nice to surprise the CPU with a draw on 3rd & long, or a PA pass on 3rd & short.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Pro

pistonpete's Arena

OVR: 8

I have actually surprised the CPU AI on one occasion. It was at the end of the first half, and I came out in a 5 WR set; the CPU came out in prevent, and instead of throwing it deep on a hail mary, I threw a WR screen; my WR's and linemen blocked well, and I was able to score a TD. it was nice for once to be able to outsmart the CPU. this doesn't disprove what you guys are saying, but it shows it's possible to surprise the CPU AI. but i do agree that most of the time the CPU seems to know what kind of play is being run regardless of formation or personnel package.

pete

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »