Home

Anyone notice that the year the devs focused on defense created the best Madden ever

This is a discussion on Anyone notice that the year the devs focused on defense created the best Madden ever within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Anyone notice that the year the devs focused on defense created the best Madden e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
You do defensive hot routes with them. Press X (or A) on the player you want to cover a receiver, and then move the right stick (I think it is) in the direction the pre play controls menu says to cover the receiver specified.
Adjustments such as these would be much, much easier to make if the computer didn't insist on snapping the ball as soon as it reached the line of scrimmage.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:16 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Anyone notice that the year the devs focused on defense created the best Madden e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven123
The D-line needs some love.
Agreed.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 34

I really dont know if we will ever see the likes of Madden 05 again.

EA seems to have shifted their focus from nuts and bolts gameplay and sound AI, to giving us visual masterpieces chock full of extraneous features.

Me and my apartment buddies used to have intense, heated games of old gen Madden 05 and Madden 06, where we would be leaning over the edge of lounge chairs.

Now, multiplayer is :"Alrighty, I have the ball back, who havent I scored with yet?"

EA's interpretation of a good multi-player experience is now no penalties, little resistance, and as much free flowing offense as possible
Old 08-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

put Brian Urlacher.

My EASportworld.com profile. Check it for some GREAT Giants plays.
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/profile/4664087
Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #21
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by orhymes
Madden 05' Highest rated Madden ever: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpage...?q=madden%2005

Ray Lewis on the cover

from Gamespot:
"Nearly all of the additions and tweaks made to this year's game fall squarely into the realm of defensive football, and they're all great new features."

Hit Stick introduced

Defensive Hot Routes... INCLUDING MANUAL DOUBLE TEAMS

Lock a corner on a specific receiver

Gamespot again:
"What all of this amounts to is a far more user-configurable defense that actually makes playing defense much more enjoyable and strategic. The strategy works beautifully, since the defensive artificial intelligence is generally very, very good, and it performs your changes perfectly. If you're adept at defensive playcalling and are able to make good reads, you should be able to dominate on defense--at least against the CPU."

This is also the year that they revamped the franchise mode... remember Tony Bruno... ahhh I miss him

Taglines for the game were "Fear the D" and "Defense Wins Championships".

Ray Lewis is the only defensive player (as of Madden NFL 09) to grace the cover of Madden

Introduced morale...

All I'm saying is lets hope the coverboy for Madden 2010 is a defensive player... wow I just thought of something... what if the cover of Madden 2010 is an ENTIRE DEFENSIVE UNIT... ahhh that would be great. Thoughts?
While 2005 was a solid Madden, I think folks forget the flaws as time goes on. In Madden '05 the run blocking was completely flawed (one of the reasons the defense was so "tough"). For example, if you were running a sweep right and your RG was supposed to pull to the outside, he wouldn't do so if there was a defender lined up across from him. I to enjoyed the game because I had realistic scores, and good stats, but the running game frustrated me to no end.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #22
Rookie

orhymes's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
In Madden '05 the run blocking was completely flawed (one of the reasons the defense was so "tough"). For example, if you were running a sweep right and your RG was supposed to pull to the outside, he wouldn't do so if there was a defender lined up across from him.
Just like in this years Madden and every Madden after 05' except for 07', this has frustrated me for a long time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »