Home

Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached

This is a discussion on Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Icon4 Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached

I am frustrated with Madden. Not Madden 09, or 08 or 07 - but with all of the Madden's on the next gen systems. It seems to me that while the firepower with technology is there, the core of the game play has gone backwards. Visually, the game is beautiful this year. The animations are terrific and the player models are much improved. The interface on the play call menu is a vast improvement.

But the game irks me. And I'm not talking about the fact that I'm struggling with my running game. Specifically, I find the following completely unacceptable -

* CPU AI. The CPU drives to my 31 yard line and I hold them. Yet, they PUNT. No FG attempt; they punt. Unless the snow was falling and the wind was stiff in your face; an NFL team would never punt. To make matters worse, the punter booms it out of the endzone (as they always do; the CPU never pins me inside the 10) and the commentary "congratulates" the punter for such a bomb of a punt. It was net 11 yards! This has been happening for years and it never gets fixed.

* FG kicking; again way too easy. Why in the world can't this be tuned in the following manner - give the kickers attributes for distance and clutchness. Your kick meter is different for anything inside 40 yards; easier. From 40 out, it gets harder and it gets really hard from 50, and exceptionally hard from 55. And the weather needs to impact the kicks more often. Is it too much to ask that the PUNTER is the HOLDER on FG's, not the backup QB. 99% of the time it is someone other than the backup QB who holds for kicks.

* Kickoffs - why can't I squib it if I want to? Why can't I have a kick return left or right? I can only return up the middle or recover an onside?

* Weather - it needs to impact the game. It doesn't. It needs to for kicks, throwing, running and catching.

* Home Field Advantage - it exists in SOME NFL stadiums; it needs to be part of the game.

* Atmosphere - It just doesn't grab you; it should. And of course the playoffs and Super Bowl need a lot of help.

* QB ratings - is it asking too much to give ratings to QB in some simple areas such as SHORT PASS, MEDIUM PASS, LONG PASS, etc. Is it too much to ask that any given QB has strenghts and weaknesses in these very basic categories? Shouldn't that be reflected?

* Playbooks - I might be getting crazy in my old age, but it seems like there are less plays this year and they all seem to be the same for the most part from team to team. Why not give me the option to put "packages" of plays in from game to game. Let me choose short pass plays, long pass plays, medium pass plays, screens, all the running plays, and even include a package of TRICK PLAYS.

* Accelerated clock and in-game saves- put them back in the game! And while you're at it, let's see some helmets fly off with a perfect hit stick!

* Injuries - DON'T TELL ME IMMEDIATELY. Let a few plays go by and swing it down to a sideline reporter (you would have to put one back in the game) to give me a report about the injury

EA SPORTS - I am a loyal customer; I've bought Madden for a long long time. I buy it every year, along with Tiger Woods (I have some constructive criticism for that game too); I only buy the sports games. You all need to honor your words of "It's in the game" and (a) put ALL of the features back in the game that have been there in the past (I want to assign my best DB to cover T.O) and (b) innovate more.

I think Madden 09 is good. And friends, this disappoints me. Why? Because is should be great. It needs to be great. It isn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached

Yup.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 28

actually a really good post.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Thank you very much for actually posting constructive criticism and not just saying "Boo EA SUCKS"...
Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Thank you very much for actually posting constructive criticism and not just saying "Boo EA SUCKS"...

I also applause your efforts. A Nice Post. Looks like you took your time and studied the subject before just ranting on.

Now we'll have to wait and see what direction this thread goes.

Please keep it civil and respectful.

-Chubby.

Twitch Stream
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 12:40 AM   #6
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

I agree with all of that. I think this Madden is the best in a while, but something is still missing which has caused me to lose interest after a few days. NCAA 09 post patch is awesome. Head Coach 09 is awesome. I wanna really like Madden but something is missing and I cant put my finger on it.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Banned

There really isnt much to add. Everyone here has played the game by now and he summed it up perfectly. I am sure people could add on more and more. Hopefully this doesnt turn bad.

EA should be making great games, not just ok games these days. They are the ones that control the NFL game. They are the only company that allows you to play the simulation game of the NFL. They need to hold them rights they have to higher standards.

Anyways, great post by the thread starter.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
I agree with all of that. I think this Madden is the best in a while, but something is still missing which has caused me to lose interest after a few days. NCAA 09 post patch is awesome. Head Coach 09 is awesome. I wanna really like Madden but something is missing and I cant put my finger on it.
I am pretty sure its the same problem as i have with the game. The more you play it the more you see little things that add up and just makes the game feel really stale. Its not just one thing its alot of little things. I could go on and list, but its already been stated in other threads.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »