Home

They really need to tie in drop backs/routes/blocking...

This is a discussion on They really need to tie in drop backs/routes/blocking... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Rookie

mightyrx's Arena

OVR: 3
They really need to tie in drop backs/routes/blocking...

I get tired of calling quick slants and short curls only to have my quarterback to take a 5 step drop and my O-line fanning out like I'm taking a 7 step drop with the Qb winding up face down, dead like Elvis.

The way I play(I run a WC type of offense), by the time the Qb's back foot hits, the ball is on it's way out.(like it's supposed to be)

I went into practice to really analyze the routes, drop back and O-line.
Let me tell you not only does the Qb vary how steps he drops back on the same play, so too does the O-line.

But because the drop backs, routes and blocking scheme aren't tied in, you end up with late passes on short routes and having to wait for plays to develop as you just stand there in the pocket waiting to be decapitated.

Also there's to much winning and losing between O-line and D-line and not enough stalemates.
How often do D-linemen blow past O-linemen?
How often do O-linemen cut D-linemen on intermediate/long pass plays?

My bad for the long post, I just felt that needed to be addressed.
Making up Evidence Depending on Information Available
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: They really need to tie in drop backs/routes/blocking...

First let me say that I do think the OL/DL ineraction needs a complete overhaul. But in regards to your troubles with 3 step drops, I would suggest pinching your OL inwards(Left Trigger, Dpad Down), and manually dropping back. This leaves you vunerable to an outside blitz but if you stay only 3 steps back, you CAN make a quick throw. Although it is difficult to do this with the quicker qbs (jackson, young etc.).

G'luck with the west coast
Old 08-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Rookie

mightyrx's Arena

Re: They really need to tie in drop backs/routes/blocking...

But that's my point otis, the drop backs should be tied in with the pass block but they are not. I've called pass plays out of single back that take a while to develop and my Qb took a 3 step drop and my O-line fanned.
That shouldn't happen especially if you're supposed to be catering to the average user.
If they can fix that, it would also take care of the RB/FB blocking because with the O-line actually staying in their lanes to pick up blocks, the Rb can pinpoint the guys coming free and pick him up.
They also need to make size and strength matter but that's a whole different can of worms!
Making up Evidence Depending on Information Available
Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

The OP is right; I've been saying this for weeks (or maybe months now).
Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyrx
I get tired of calling quick slants and short curls only to have my quarterback to take a 5 step drop and my O-line fanning out like I'm taking a 7 step drop with the Qb winding up face down, dead like Elvis.

The way I play(I run a WC type of offense), by the time the Qb's back foot hits, the ball is on it's way out.(like it's supposed to be)

I went into practice to really analyze the routes, drop back and O-line.
Let me tell you not only does the Qb vary how steps he drops back on the same play, so too does the O-line.

But because the drop backs, routes and blocking scheme aren't tied in, you end up with late passes on short routes and having to wait for plays to develop as you just stand there in the pocket waiting to be decapitated.

Also there's to much winning and losing between O-line and D-line and not enough stalemates.
How often do D-linemen blow past O-linemen?
How often do O-linemen cut D-linemen on intermediate/long pass plays?

My bad for the long post, I just felt that needed to be addressed.
where in creek are you?
im in coral springs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 21

While I don't disagree with the need to tie in the drops with blocking schemes, doing so would be a pretty significant departure for most Madden gamers. While having the plays and line protection governed by the type of play called would in theory eliminate many of Madden's problems, it would open new ones. You'd be requiring people to understand they're picking a play that requires a three step drop for example, which people never have had to do. You'll have people hot routing to routes inappropriate for the line coverage - seems like it'd be a more significant learning curve. And most people in Madden are used to doing the drops themselves, which would be another issue. I think it'll be tough for them to even implement a true pocket because Madden gameplay historically revolves around not having one. Not saying it's impossible, just saying it would be a big departure from what they've done previously

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

lol dude, people would actually have to be smart and make good reads? not be able to scramble out the pocket because they are surrounded? people would need to make good decisions in order to win? your right dosent sound like madden at all. what a shame man, if all that stuff was implemented like you said, i would cream my pants and cry with joy
Old 08-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
lol dude, people would actually have to be smart and make good reads? not be able to scramble out the pocket because they are surrounded? people would need to make good decisions in order to win? your right dosent sound like madden at all. what a shame man, if all that stuff was implemented like you said, i would cream my pants and cry with joy
No, I said I agreed with the OP. But I was also acknowledging that going that route is a pretty significant departure from how the game has been played to date.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »